Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
CF hater....
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do i check the float level height and then after that how do I set it???
i have the service manual... but is this the way to do it??

reinstall the floats and set the float bowl height. I found this to be the most nerve-wracking as it seems very imprecise and the actual method of adjustment is "jicky". I really couldn't understand EXACTLY what I was supposed to be measuring until I found this pic on Factory Pro's site: www.factorypro.com/images/carb,float adj,38Mik.jpg AHA! Now it all made sense. Also notice that the carbs are being stood on end to measure. I did this also and it seems to work ok although I measured the floats w/ the carbs lying on the bench as well. I didn't have the Factory Pro tool, but thanks to Suliman, I ran out and bought a $20 Sears Vernier's calipers w/ a depth measurement beforehand. Worked well. I just set it to 3.25mm and ran it along the surface of the carbs. If it came in contact w/ the floats, down they went. Much of a gap? Up w/ the floats. Not too difficult, just time-consuming to get just right.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Best advice,leave the fvcking float level alone. If the floats leak there is some foreign debris stuck in them. Take the needle out and clean,reinstall. I have seen people bend the living sh1t out of the tab because there was a giant piece of rubber hose caught between the needle and seat. The factories do a decent job getting all alike until some a$$hole starts "fixing" them.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Float is hight is very important. And its not exact from the factory. When I installed my factory jet kit, I checked the stock settings. They varied from 5-8mm, just like the manual says but 3 mm makes a huge difference.
At 1st i set mine to the 5mm recommended by factory. Ran good.
Then I put in a K&n filter so I wanted to richen it up so I put them at 7mm. It still ran ok but didnt scream. Felt sloppy and boggy. Now they are at 6mm and it screams.
So dont leave them stock, its not accrurate. And I found 5-6mm to be optimum for mine.

AS far as how to check them, take carbs off the bike, remove float bowls, turn carbs upside down on falt surface so it will rest on its own. Lightly lift the floats up and down and allow them rest on the needle. Now measure from the float flange to the highest point on the float. Be precise. its not easy since the float and the flange you emasure from arent in line but its can be done with a simple caliper. Bend the metal tab on the needle, lift and release float again, remeasure.

And just a side note: my factory jets, were no where near the size they where supposed to be. Mine had 145 in all 4 carbs. WTF is up with that. bought it brand new in feb of 98. :confused.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.