Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well somebody had to be frist here. I need to replace the seals on the F2 front end on my Hawk and was wondering if it is going to be too much a pain in the ass. Any tips before I get to pissed off.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
i had a local guy do my seals and i had some pro moly non leak seals from dennis kirk and they are junk so don't waste your cash....he told me OEM seals are the only way to go

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the seals already. I just need to start taking things apart. I wish I had the manual but I am not going to buy the F2 manual just for the forks. Maybe the Hawk, and SV manual will help enough.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I did the seals on the F3 and I swore I would pay to have done next time. What a pain.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not know why they are leaking. I bought the Hawk froma guy that bought it from another guy afew ytears ago. The first owner was trying to convert it to a race bike and never finished. The tube look pretty good, no visible signs of pitting or rusting. I was wondering if I could do it without diassembling them. It is such a pain to take them apart.

·
Moderator,
3,129 Posts
ahhhhhhhh... Familiar faces in the garage. Always great to know what your best tool in the garage is espresso!!! :biggrin

espresso said:
If there is something on the tubes that cut them, then the same thing will cut the new ones, possibly during installation... So look them over with great care!

You will have to get creative to find a way to pull out the old seals without damaging the fork leg or seal seating surface... A variety of picks, small hammers and various screwdrivers would be my method of attack. Remember, it does not matter if you destroy the old seals while removing them; you're replacing them anyway! :D

The advice to stick with OE seals was a good one, BTW. Honda seals are top-notch, almost always come as a kit (one side to a kit), and are affordable.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
contact YZFROB he scanned his F2 manual for me on my clutch install..he wil probably do the same for you on the fork section

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Do it yourself you'll need a few things but its worth it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I plan on doing it myself. I hate to pay people to work on my bikes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's easy.
1. Loosen the fork cap
2. Pull the forks off the bike
3. Remove the damping assemlby bolt form the bottom of the forks.
4. Drain the fork oil
5. Remove retaining spring below dust seal.
6. Seperate the inner and outer tube assembly by pulling
7. Pull harder
8. Harder!
9. Slide off old oil seal
10. slide on new oil seal
11. reassemble.

Step 11 is ALOT easier with a fork seal driver.

Here's a couple tutorials:
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcnuts/forkseal.html
http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/ForkSealReplacementFAQ.htm

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I realized that all I need to do is look at the SV manual. the forks are just about the same. It is an older F2 front from what I can tell (fixed rotors). The hardest part is removing the damper rod bolt. I know I had a hell of a time with it when I diassembled the SV forks to pu the emulators in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts