Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little VFR finally arrived but it's biggest problem is a lack of suspension adjustment. I was thinking of fitting a set of USD showas from either a late model 954 or even a 1000RR (I hear there are a lot of salvage parts for those lately) I've done a bit of research and know my one year of high school autoshop did not prepare me for this kind of work.

Has anyone ever done something similar? Could I use Mille forks as well as Honda? I know I'd need the whole front end from the clip ons down to the wheel but the actual fitting is beyond me. If you have the skills, I've got cash.

I could always say screw it and just get race-tech to do the stock forks but where is the fun in that?

·
oohhhh yeah!
1,402 Posts
You'd need triple clamps for sure to fit to the forks, and maybe press out the stem out of the triple clamp of your stock VFR and presed back into the new lower triple off a 954 or 1000RR that yuo plan on using. Clips on also might need to be modified to fit the controls. Not sure don't know much abotu the VFR but that is what is involved for an R6 with R1 forks to be used.

·
Vok Intu Mi EYz
4,393 Posts
Boz I swapped out my Hawk forks for some RC51 forks and its a pretty striaght forward job. No need to swap the stem or even the bearings for that matter (Honda kept us budget minded modders in mind) Only thing is you might loose is your speedo. The older Honda's use cable (pick up off the front wheel) and the newer bikes don't. I have a set of 929 forks/triples if your interested but you would still need the braking system, clipons, and wheel.

click on the "Hawk Project" in my sig below it. I have some pictures of me going through the swap.

·
***Site Owner***
2,812 Posts
Sweet project D!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey D,

Check out this guy, he's done a conversion for 954 forks. (I think he's into hawks as well) Tell me if you think it's still doable and I'll start gathering parts. Send me a PM with the price you want for the forks. Would Mille forks work? I have more spares and they use Brembos.

http://www.harkermatic.com/

·
Vok Intu Mi EYz
4,393 Posts
Boz said:
Hey D,

Check out this guy, he's done a conversion for 954 forks. (I think he's into hawks as well) Tell me if you think it's still doable and I'll start gathering parts. Send me a PM with the price you want for the forks. Would Mille forks work? I have more spares and they use Brembos.

http://www.harkermatic.com/
Wow I thought I seen every NC30 and Hawk site there is out there.

Your bike and my Hawk have alot of the parts (i.e. frame, swing arm, some suspension as well) As for the Mille stuff why not try it if you already got da parts. Your main concern would be fitting the triple stem inside the neck of the frame and also the bearings. Most triple stems are the same size. Just take a few measurements. Ive seen guys put R6, GSXR, and even Ducati front ends on there Hawk(NC31) with very little modification.

Btw is the NC30 a 6 or 5 speed

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
The big deal is that, depending on the year, the stearing stem is not the same size as all the 'modern' hondas. At the very least you'll either need to press out the old stem, and press/weld it into the new tripples, or have a custom stem made up and pressed into the new lower tripple.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mnewell said:
Hey Boz...

I don't understand. Is your NC30 here in the states or is it in Afghanistan? If you need any help with it, and it is here, please let me know!
No, it's in the states. D and I are going to work on as soon as I get home.

Sean, I'd be happy to have the help. I have no skills.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I need an RC51 front wheel and disks but does anyone know if the Brembo off my mille would fit? I have a set lying around after the OZ conversion.

·
sumthin sounds crunchy
3,646 Posts
Boz said:
I need an RC51 front wheel and disks but does anyone know if the Brembo off my mille would fit? I have a set lying around after the OZ conversion.

most likley yes..

Mitch put a set on his TL...

you have to get little mounting adapters..

most likley have to have a set made..

Lance should be able to hook it up.

·
Graphic support
1,525 Posts
Not sure how much this would help seeing how this post is about 2 years old. But I have the 03' 954 USD fork setup on my NC30.

You have to use the entire front end, triples, and lowers. Sucky pic that I have, but only one on my comp. Hope it helps someone.

Attachments

·
life is good
822 Posts
What rear-sets are those? I just picked up an '88 project i'm going to be working on. Already testing out a 900rr front end to see if i like it, might try Ducati stuff :shrug

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks tony, I had the spacers and a 929 front end all spec'd out but we went with an Aprilia RS250 showa setup instead. Looks pretty good and I'll get pics up soon.

Rob, what did you pick up? Jose' has the parts if you want to check them out. I also have an RC51 wheel that should work with those forks.

·
Graphic support
1,525 Posts
cobra525 said:
What rear-sets are those? I just picked up an '88 project i'm going to be working on. Already testing out a 900rr front end to see if i like it, might try Ducati stuff :shrug
They're from Tyga. Here's a bigger pic. Love the stuff you have on your nc30 Boz! Sounds like a deadly machine. The Rs250s would be on there too if they weren't so darn hard to find! haha... Anyhow, always good to see some fellow V4 owners! Next on the list is come RC211 body work from Tyga if I can gather enough pennies in the couch... lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went with "Cowspeed" bodywork out of south africa, mostly because I got a deal on shipping. In reality, I should just have gone with Tyga.

So far this is how it specs out:

1990 Honda NC30 with about 24K on the clocks
Aprilia RS250 complete front end
Aprilia RS250 rear shock conversion
Stainless lines front and rear
NC35 rear wheel
Brembo radial master cylinder
Rizoma billet resevoir
Custom rearsets
Tyga full system
Blue flame dual port endcan
Motor work done by Mateau Motorsports

Crapload of other stuff I can't seem to remember....

·
Graphic support
1,525 Posts
Boz said:
I went with "Cowspeed" bodywork out of south africa, mostly because I got a deal on shipping. In reality, I should just have gone with Tyga.

So far this is how it specs out:

1990 Honda NC30 with about 24K on the clocks
Aprilia RS250 complete front end
Aprilia RS250 rear shock conversion
Stainless lines front and rear
NC35 rear wheel
Brembo radial master cylinder
Rizoma billet resevoir
Custom rearsets
Tyga full system
Blue flame dual port endcan
Motor work done by Mateau Motorsports

Crapload of other stuff I can't seem to remember....
Looks like a REALLY fun bike right there! Whats this cowspeed bodywork? Any pics? I been itching to upgrade the raceglass, but the Tyga stuff is pretty steep in my pricerange. Been looking at some Mito bodywork as well.

Here's my specs incase we need to pick at eachothers brains later down the line. lol...

93' NC30
-03' 954 Front end conversion
-Tyga bodywork
-Race Tech .95 front forksprings
-Side mount steering damper off a 02' GSXR
-Vortex gas cap
-Tyga rear sets (Gpshift)
-Blue Flame Dual Outlet, Titanium Full race exhaust
-Dynojet Jet kit
-HRC rev limiter disable
-Ohlins rear shock
-Galfer steel braided lines
-Galfer front wave rotors
-17 inch rear wheel
-Woodcraft Clip-ons
-Adjustable Aluminum Clutch lever
-Front & rear AFAM aluminum sprockets
-520 chain
-Frame sliders

prob some other small stuff that I can't remember...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.