Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my front pads on my 03 zx9r. I bled everything correctly. Now my bike will hardly stop. I have to pump the brakes to stop them and the elver goes all the way to the bar. WHen standing still the brake feels normal but only at speeds of over 30 it is hard to stop from. Any ideas on wat this could be?

·
Sometimes I Think Too Much ...
878 Posts
The information you give is slightly contradictory, in that the lever going all the way to the grip & having to pump it, would have nothing to do with speed. Why did you have to bleed the brakes to change the pads?
Anyway it sounds like you not done bleeding yet.
Remember that new pads are not going to stop you as well as the old ones until they're broken in (seated) a little.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Tell us how you bled your lines. This may lead to more trouble shooting info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i bled them myself and then had my bike mechanic from my local kawi shop do the same and still same problem. When the bike is standing still the brake lever feels normal. When going down the road i must pump to stop the bike. I bled the brakes because the same thing happened before i bled them.

·
Sometimes I Think Too Much ...
878 Posts
If the reason you 'pump' is because the lever goes all the way to the grip, then +1

qkenuf4u said:
sounds like your master cylinder died or you just need to bleed them even more. :confused
If your using the term 'pump' to mean that the lever is firm, but you just don't seem to get enough bite out of the brakes, so you grab at them repeatedly, then maybe you have a mechanical problem with a caliper.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Long shot: Did you get anything on the rotors? Grease? Oil? Are the pads also contaminated?

I dunno about having to "pump" the brakes, but if your brake lever is firm after the shop bled it but the bike's still hard to stop, maybe there's contamination on one or both rotors & pads...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
dattaway said:
Oil or grease on the rotors burn away after the first mile.
that all depends on how much and how bad they are contaminated :rolleyes a fingerprints or two of fluid on the bad/brake i will agree would burn away but if it was soaked then its a good chance they are junk and will either need cleaned/replaced :shake

1 - 12 of 12 Posts