Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go with an actual motorcycle related thread.

I have noticed since moving up to riding the Uber openclassers that I am not using nearly as much of my front tire as I did on my various 600s and 750s. I am using my rear tire from edge to edge but always have quite a bit of unused tread on my front tires. Those that know me know that I can put a knee down (blah,blah,blah) and carry decent corner speed.

But why am I not using as much of my front tire as I used to? I have asked myself this question and cannot really figure it out. I know on my R1 I do not have the suspension perfectly dialed but would this cause me to not have to use as much of my front. I do not ride any slower or corner any different. I have had to adjust to the power of a liter bike exiting corners but on the street I never sensed this as being an issue.
Anyone have any insight that they would like to share?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Could the wider rear tires that come with most of today's bigger bikes have anything to do with it? I could be way off, but don't the 6-750's usually run 190's on the rear where as I think most of today's litre's tend to run 180's to compensate for all that power?

I dunno, but my last set of tires, I got about 6-7K out of the rear but got over 10K on the front.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I have gone from the 190/50 that is OEM on the R1 to a 180/55. This helps to quicken the steering due to the 180 being a taller tire.

Come on all you racer\gearheads.......make with the goods!!

·
Rule #34
14,509 Posts
I think it's entry speed in corners and possibly the lateness in being able to get on the throttle. I used to roll my fronts down to the edges too. I don't anymore. Then again, my bike is a barge. Things like center stand, foot pegs, and exhaust will prob deck before front tire goes over.

·
Mr. Practicality to you!
1,365 Posts
I've always had strips up front. If you push hard enough, you'll get rid of them. Even my track bike has about a 1/4-1/8" up front and the rear is a 160. Different bikes, different geometry is my guess. Oh, and you are a squid for doing it on the street :redflip

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do have a tendency now to ride a little further up on the bike when coming out of corners but in my twisted thinking that would tend to put more load on the front.........so that is kind of not making da sense.

And yes I am a part time squid.......thank you very much. :D

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I am sure that there is some technical answer to your question, which I don't have. I have noticed that different tires have different results for me. On the Michelins, I was using all of my front and not all of my rear (strange I know, which is why I switched). When I went to Dunlops, that problem disappeared.

If you are running the same tires, I really couldn't tell you. I was thinking the same thing that Scot mentioned. Perhaps just the difference in steering geometry or weight distribution between the bikes. Or like you suggested, some issue with the suspension settings, but I don't have that kind of technical knowledge unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
wouldn't tire profile and power delivery. Once your on the throttle it would transfer the weight to the rear, taking more of the load of the front....

check out WERA.com...somewhere over there you should find an exact explanation....

B.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Ken,

Riding style on the bigger bike may have a lot to do with it. You may not think you're doing anything different but I would guess the nature of the bike is doing it for you. As mentioned above, that wear wouldn't be based on how you exit the corner, rather, how you enter it.

You may find that on the liter bike you're preparing yourself for the turn before going into it rather that going into it then making adjustments (ie trail braking).

My street tire still looks likes like new on the sides compared to my track tire due to the different riding styles.

Track...

Street...

My 2-cents have now been deposited.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info folks.

·
I did WHAT????
2,065 Posts
Actually, the differences in wear like this is why I use a HiPro Tire up front - like a 010, z208 in the front - but a touring tire - z220, 020.. In the rear.... FWIW, with the 020 - I really don't notice any less stick on my FZ1 and I get about even wear.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts