Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Moderator,
3,129 Posts
First off welcome to CF! :twofinger

Second, what's your ride? Unless it's something way out of the ordinary, you don't need a special tool to remove the front axel to remove the front wheel. Most bikes are (in order) 1. loosen the pinch bolts on the side where the axel nut is 2. I have learned to remove the calipers from the rotors 3. loosen the axel bolt and viola there's you're front wheel!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh, R1. Sorry.

Ok, part 3 there.. that's the tool I need..

As I write this and look at the manual.. is that just a huge ass allen fitting?

Thanks again

Brian

·
CF Security Administrator,
6,639 Posts
Syn said:
Heh, R1. Sorry.

Ok, part 3 there.. that's the tool I need..

As I write this and look at the manual.. is that just a huge ass allen fitting?

Thanks again

Brian
Get yourself a 5/8" sparkplug socket and put an extension in it backwards...use the hex end of the socket to remove the axle....

·
CF Security Administrator,
6,639 Posts
One more pic, just to make sure you understand what I'm getting at :)

·
Brought to you by the letter 1
6,239 Posts
thats was cool as hell zeos! I didnt think of that. I used a cold chisel as an allen wrench and put a big cresent wrench on it.

SYN have you not looked in your tool bag? there should be a wrench in there to remove it also. In my case the guy bought the bike and it didnt have a toolkit, so we had to compromise.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
TLstreak said:
thats was cool as hell zeos! I didnt think of that. I used a cold chisel as an allen wrench and put a big cresent wrench on it.

SYN have you not looked in your tool bag? there should be a wrench in there to remove it also. In my case the guy bought the bike and it didnt have a toolkit, so we had to compromise.
let me guess....donnie :twofinger

That is a cool trick. There are numerous ways to do that. You can also use a 3/4" bolt head. You can also buy the allen "fitting" socket (the R6 has a 19mm, not sure about R1) from Snap-on for ~$36 at www.snapon.com :). I haven't been able to find the socket anywhere else.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
TLstreak said:
is it a 19mm

Ill get a couple from work, we have a few extra.

rogue :twofinger

and yeah, 19mm hex is the size for the R6 front axle :thumb

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey todd, I got that tool about a year ago . It works great it is like 10 bucks But I cant remember the link. ask over on the r6 board I am sure they have it saved somewhere. It was a tool place from atlanta i believe. anywho I'm sure someone remembers from over there..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts