Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys and girls,

I may be relocating to the Ft Lauderdale area for a job. I'll know after next weekend. What I'm looking for is the following. :)

What should I absolutely check out on my recruiting trip?
What are the preferred places to live and median home value?
What are the "hot spots" as far as social scenes?
Where are the Florida tracks for motorcycle racing?
What do you "HATE" about the Ft Lauderdale area?
What are the people like? Laid back? High strung? Yuppie? Etc...

For those that don't know me. I'm a 27 year old, single-straight guy who enjoys outdoor activities. That should help with what kind of person you're dealing with. :thumb

Thanks!
Nico

·
I'm so vain, I probably think this song is about m
14,142 Posts
Hypnotiq said:
straight guy
most tend to disagree about this part. :redflip

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
Housing is way over priced down here, everybody is waiting for the bubble to burst.

The price of an existing single-family home in Palm Beach County rose by the third-highest percentage in the nation during the first quarter of 2005, according to the National Association of Realtors. Prices rose 36 percent over the same period last year to a median price of $363,600.

Fort Lauderdale, Wilton Manors, Oakland Park, Lauderdale by the Sea and other Broward County cities saw median home prices reach $332,400 in March 2005 compared to March 2004.

Broward County had a 32 percent increase to $322,000 and Miami-Dade County median home prices rose by 30 percent to $363,600

Prices for single family homes in Fort Lauderdale have gone up more than 30% in a year. Other Fort Lauderdale Real Estate like condominiums and townhomes have seen similar price increases.
FYI: Palm Beach County (where I live) is just north of Broward county where Ft. Lauderdale is. Miami is south of Broward.

The thing I hate about Ft. Lauderdale is the traffic, and there are a lot of hot spots it just depends on what youre into.

·
Registered
18,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about rental prices for houses/townhouses with garages? I live in Seattle now w/ Microsoft so Im used to high costs, just trying to get an idea so I can plug into my budgets and stuff and negotiate offers. :)

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
lotsa bars. lotsa beaches. hot chicks for sure. humid as hell. far enough from south beach so the gay population decreases drastically, etc. not from there, but i visited, and i wasnt too impressed. but, coming from washington, im sure its better lol!

·
I give girls cancer.
7,928 Posts
EpyonXero said:
Housing is way over priced down here, everybody is waiting for the bubble to burst.

FYI: Palm Beach County (where I live) is just north of Broward county where Ft. Lauderdale is. Miami is south of Broward.

The thing I hate about Ft. Lauderdale is the traffic, and there are a lot of hot spots it just depends on what youre into.
By the way, You DO NOT want to live in Wilton Manors or Lauderdale by the sea. :shake

Median home prices in Broward county have been just over $400k for the past two years.

·
The hardest button to button.
9,942 Posts
To be honest Nico....I think you're going to hate it. Compared to Washington the scenery is going to be a HUGE change (for the worst if you like it in WA). The cost of living is probably less compared to Seattle area though. :shrug

·
Registered
18,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Then tell me the places I do want to live in the surrounding areas. I'm willing to commute within reason.

Where are all the Ft Lauderdale people at. I know this board has to have a few. :)

·
The hardest button to button.
9,942 Posts
Look in the South Florida forum. I know Ninjakel, MotorcykleAsh, LeonTLR, Fasternyou, and nags can probably all give you the info you need. If I remember correctly they're all from that area and some are born and raised so you might get "insider info". Hope that helps :)

·
I give girls cancer.
7,928 Posts
Downtown Ft. Lauderdale is what you want to see for nightlife and culture. Remember the street “Las Olas”. That will give you a decent cross section of Ft. Laud. The west end of the road (Riverfront) has bars and clubs. Those are surrounded by some of the museums and the center for the performing arts. Go east towards the beach and see all the high-end shops and expensive homes on your way to the beach.

The beach is great there and you can find everything from super high strung crack heads on ‘roids to the most laid back people all hanging out in the same general area.

There is insane money in Ft. Lauderdale (world’s #1 Ferrari dealer, #1 home for Megayachts) but there are just as many regular, nice people to be found around.

The two local tracks are Homestead and Moroso. Neither is open for track days on a regular basis but a committed rider could do about 3-4 days at Homestead and 6-ish at Moroso on an annual basis. Daytona is three hours up the road and Jennings is about 7. ;)

Outdoor activities abound but will be different than what you are used to. Forget anything that has to do with elevation changes.

Twisties are nonexistent so learn how to stunt. :redflip

·
Registered
18,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
shmike said:

The two local tracks are Homestead and Moroso. Neither is open for track days on a regular basis but a committed rider could do about 3-4 days at Homestead and 6-ish at Moroso on an annual basis. Daytona is three hours up the road and Jennings is about 7. ;)

Outdoor activities abound but will be different than what you are used to. Forget anything that has to do with elevation changes.

Twisties are nonexistent so learn how to stunt. :redflip
I scuba dive a lot in the PacNW but grew up diving all over the world, so I'm used to different climates.

The track thing is HUGE to me. I do about 15-20 a year. Is there any racing SoFL? Or is it all up @ Jennings and Road Atlanta?

Stunting? :down :(

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
I dont know anything about home rental prices. I think they race at Homestead, Moroso is mostly used for drag racing. East and central Ft. Lauderdale sucks, in general the close you are to I-95 the crappier the area is down here. In general Western Palm Beach and Broward county is nice. There are some good places on the east side but most of those are condos and apartments. Plantation is nice, my cousin had a house there but I cant remember how much its kinda in the middle of Ft. Lauderdale.

·
I give girls cancer.
7,928 Posts
There is racing here.

Homestead and Moroso are closest followed by Daytona and then Jennings.

Jennings is the only track in the state that has open trackdays on a regular basis but all of them are used by the various race org's.

Racerboy221 and Jgalt are more familiar with the race scene than I am. PM one of them or drop in the SoFla Forum. ;)

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Come on down :D

I have been here for ten years and love it.

Here is the CCS FL race schedule for this year.

homestead 2/11-12
moroso 3/18-19
jennings 4/1-2
jennings 5/6-7
moroso 5/28-29
homestead 6/24-25
moroso 7/29-30
moroso 8/26-27
jennings 9/9-10
moroso 9/30-10/1
homestead 12/2-3

That combined with open practice days and general trackdays from groups like sportbiketracktime.com should keep you busy.

There are tons of nice areas down here. You can also consider places like Boca and Aventura if you work in Fort Lauderdale.

I would suggest renting until you figure out where you want to live.

Can't go wrong anywhere on the beach or if you live west you can check out Davie, Plantation, Coral Springs, Parkland, Weston, Pembroke Pines, Cooper City.

·
Thanks for having us all these years, Rez. Best o
20,204 Posts
Wilton Manners is the gay area of Ft. Lauderdale. Take that info and do what you will with it. :citadel

·
Registered
18,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LeeNetworX said:
Wilton Manners is the gay area of Ft. Lauderdale. Take that info and do what you will with it. :citadel
That helps me stay clear of where Imagine32000000000000000000000000000 is at! :thumb

1 - 20 of 28 Posts