Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i thought ft plates were no longer required? or is that for new cars only.........:confused

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sux.. For 2006 I thought I'd be able to lane split and take the front LPs off of my cars. Well I never run a front LP anyways, but I thought it might actually be legal now.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
you'd have to be VERY brave to lanesplit in texas.

and the lic plate - I dont understand the deal - I havent had a front plate on my
cars in 7-8 years.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Enemy1 said:
The lane splitting would have caused alot more bike related accidents..Im glad it did not pass
I don't agree. I lived/grew up in CA and had no issues with lane splitting. I never heard/read about anyone in a motorcycle accident because of it (at least in the area I lived in: Santa Cruz/San Jose). It boils down to responsible riding. The purpose of lane splitting is so you can slowly make your way through traffic that is stalled on the highways in rush hour traffic, etc.

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
+1, you don't HAVE to split. i woulda've liked to have the option.

and education would be the key.........get all these bubba's to realize that it was legal. i need to get the license plate frame from aerostitch. "40mpg and 1 less car on the road"

about 1/2 the MSF inst. were for and 1/2 against........that i talked w/ locally.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I lived in San Jose area also, lane splitting is great. At stoplights you can get in front of all the car exhaust, and in bumper to bumper you can still go 20mph.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
beemer said:
I don't agree. I lived/grew up in CA and had no issues with lane splitting. I never heard/read about anyone in a motorcycle accident because of it (at least in the area I lived in: Santa Cruz/San Jose). It boils down to responsible riding. The purpose of lane splitting is so you can slowly make your way through traffic that is stalled on the highways in rush hour traffic, etc.
In Texas, it has less to do with responsible riding and a lot more to do with pissed off bubbas not liking you passing them when they can't move ... and doing something about it. The wrecks likely wouldn't be major but definitely would become more frequent, IMO.

Lane-splitting is great. Just dangerous as hell in the small-pee-pee land of Texas.

·
Registered
802 Posts
ok, what happened to the original topic.

I thought the front license plate law change was valid. My understanding of it was basically the DMV was going to stop issuing 2 plates. and that if you only received one plate for you car, it went in the back. But that if you were issued 2 plates you had to display both of them.

Did this pass or not? :confused

I've been running without a front plate for a while, and I'm not really worried about it. It does, however, give a LEO a valid reason for pulling you over and finding something else to ticket you for.

·
Registered
113 Posts
A small part of a much bigger bill that was offered late in the legislative session would have eliminated the front plate requirement. However, that bill went to a conference committee where they hammer out differences between the way the House and Senate want things to be. When the bill came back from that committee, the license plate changes had vanished... so existing law remains in effect.

You are still supposed to display a front plate.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Thank you sir....

I take your word as "Official"

ALso, thanks for all your effort on the Lane Splitting Legislation.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ain't no thang!! :ar15

The fat lady hasn't sung yet!

·
Registered
28,590 Posts
HEY!! Be sure to keep us posted... I've been watching for updates elsewhere, but it's difficult when I'm watching for other issues as well.

If we can help, in any way, we would like to!

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dover338 said:
Thank you sir....

I take your word as "Official"

ALso, thanks for all your effort on the Lane Splitting Legislation.
+1 on both accounts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts