Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mama's Little Joey
14,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've posted before that I've had 9 total knee operations. 5 on the left, 4 on the right. Yesterday, somehow, I did something and totally fugged it up. I can go to the gym, I can walk, run, and use most of the equipment. What I can't do is extend or raise my foot off the ground from a seated position. I can't go up or down stairs flexing my knee. 2 weeks ago I was doing 160 lbs. leg extensions and 140 lb knee curls. I wasn't even close to my limit. Now, I couldn't do 10 lb with my left knee.

Anyone ever have something like this before? Of all the problems I've had, I've never had this one.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Jester27 said:
Alright, I've posted before that I've had 9 total knee operations. 5 on the left, 4 on the right. Yesterday, somehow, I did something and totally fugged it up. I can go to the gym, I can walk, run, and use most of the equipment. What I can't do is extend or raise my foot off the ground from a seated position. I can't go up or down stairs flexing my knee. 2 weeks ago I was doing 160 lbs. leg extensions and 140 lb knee curls. I wasn't even close to my limit. Now, I couldn't do 10 lb with my left knee.

Anyone ever have something like this before? Of all the problems I've had, I've never had this one.
maybe its just a pinch nerve ? :confused not likely but worth a try.:D

·
At BANNED Camp
16,067 Posts
Between my knees, back and ankle I have had 7 surgeries. I have never had anything like happen to me though. Maybe it is just time catching up to you. Do you do a lot of stretching before you lift? I have noticed that when I back off of my taekwondo training my knees stiffen up. My ankle I can't do nothing about (only 70% mobility in it), that 9mm did a job on it! :(

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
that has something to do w/ your rectus femoris... the muscle running at the front of your top half of your leg... that is whad adducts your leg... (lifts it) did you pull a muscle or tear a ligament or something?

edit: a&p book says rectis femoris "extends knee and flexes thigh at hip" so that's a little mpre "specific" than my jargon... but all of the quads work together to extend the knee

·
Registered
316 Posts
My right knee has had four operations to correct a butchering by one doc due to toren cartlidge back in '54. I really wanted it to heal up on its own best it could STILL he insisted due to the possibility of the knee locking up when I was climbing mtns along with ski mountaineering ------ stupid move upon .my part.

Left knee has a toren tendion & so the knee cap slipped over to the left & knee joint is slowly grinding away what 50% the doc saw in '85. Nothing can be done.

Left ankle looks normal to docs only it has been screwed up since '48 due to flat tracking & is always swelling & only 25% of the flex in moving it up or down.

I know my legs are shot (not to mention the big still bar & screws to hold the left hip together that was broken in winter of '89 due to falling when correct some dead Xmas bulbs & so no Xmas lights since.

Souns like you have pinched a nerve to you can do the rest of the gym work, walk & run. Ot some crap has got under something.

I had a great deal of pain to my left shoulder (one I often dislocate like it was a way in life) to where if I put pressre to forefinger & thum of left had the elbow took on a lot of pain. I simply eased off the gym for some months & it came back on its own, but have never been able to use the wts of before. Besides the left hand has been broken a few time, not one normal finger or thumb on either of my hands (toes are a mess) & only 20% strength in the hand with very little movement left in the wrist.

Most I cannot cure, but the rest of some months did the job to the elbow & definately a nerve.

If you are messed up that bad now then think of what you will be like when in your 50s, 60s or 70s like I am in latter.

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
Just make sure you dont have a septic joint. It doesnt sound like it but its something you dont want to mess with. ortho isnt my strongest point so I really cant help too much more.

Tom

·
Mama's Little Joey
14,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, Tommy, what the hell is a septic joint?

I stretch to warm-up. I "broke" the patela on that knee years ago when I had a lacrosse ball bounce off it. There's no pain at all when I walk, except for a little stiffness and a gimp limp. Keeping it flexed while I drive hurts like hell.

Z, I'll check the rectus femorus info on the net. Thanks.

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
could you have little floating patella bits in the joint that sometimes get in the way?

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
Jester27 said:
Alright, Tommy, what the hell is a septic joint?

I stretch to warm-up. I "broke" the patela on that knee years ago when I had a lacrosse ball bounce off it. There's no pain at all when I walk, except for a little stiffness and a gimp limp. Keeping it flexed while I drive hurts like hell.

Z, I'll check the rectus femorus info on the net. Thanks.
A septic joint is when it becomes red swollen/inflamed and you have limited movemnent, it is an infection of the joint capsule which needs to be drained and given a course of antibiotics.

I doubt it is in your case but people with numerous surgeries cann be prone to this situation.

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts