Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just got my Ninja and I love it. I saw on Dennis Kirk the full system from Muzzy for only like 348.00 US. I like the high rpms I get with the 250 but the factory sound is a little too quiet. My question is should I:

Lose the endcaps and the packing in the sliencer and see if i like the sound is, then get the Muzzy or... if I want to stay on the cheep keep it unpacked.

Get the Muzzy anyway cause it is just too sweet and the duel cans is queer.

Thanks again guys and gals and if anyone could bestow some knolage about the jetting that goes with the full system I would be greatful as well.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Ok the cans on the zzr are polished so I was reluctant to take them off and put aftermarket pipes on it and I think that to twin pipes look good. So I had the centres taken out of them and they produce a really nice sound now.

Cheers

·
Registered
445 Posts
Blue Cord said:
You dont find that you had to jet with just taking out the packing? I wouldn't think so, seems like this is just for sound not performance removing the packing that is. Thanks for the quick responce
Nope no need to re-jet. The sound is really good, they sound like a 600!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would have thought removing the packing would actually hurt performance, just from the standpoint of removing the back pressure from the engine. Then again, the stock pipe may be designed a little tight on the pressure side so it may help.

The best way to figure out which way to go is call Muzzy and see what gains they saw with their pipe vs stock. If they didn't see much at all, bye bye packing...

·
Registered
140 Posts
You may not have to rejet, but you should.

For the past 20 years or so, motorcycles have been jetted not to produce optimum performance but rather to comply with the mandatory emissions regulations in effect during their year of manufacture. Consequently, they all have lean spots throughout their various fuel-metering systems, so they all could benefit from adjustments in the air-fuel mixture. There are a few aftermarket pipes available that give good results without any carburetion changes, but those bikes would run even better if they were rejetted.

·
Registered
52 Posts
A friend of mine has a 250 and he had a Muzzy, Stage3 jet, and pod filters put on it. Not only is the sound simply amazing, but its pretty darn fast too. He got the jump on me from a light and i had to redline the siht out of 3 gears to BARELY reel him back in on my Zx6. In the twisties i couldnt hang what-so-ever:shake In fact, he was able do drag pegs on my bike and i barely could. I guess starting on a 250 really does help you learn ;)

·
serenity now
6,055 Posts
Blue Cord said:
Any input form someone that has had a muzzy?

Going once, twice, trice......
I have a Muazzy on my ZX-6R and it sounds incredible. When I rev it close to redline it sounds like airplanes taking off or something. Very cool and very loud :cool

·
Registered
111 Posts
A gentleman by the name of Espresso on this forum has done extensive work on the 250s, with rejets, full exhausts, etc. However, certain tuners of the 250 found the muzzy exhaust system wasn't very beneficial to the bike even with a rejet. The gains were neglegable.

Would I still buy one? yes. why? because of 2 words: ground clearance, and 2 more words: weight savings. If it's the HP you're going for you may get some back by swapping it, but I would do it more for the ground clearance and weight than for the HP. Once you put rearsets on the bike, that's the next thing that's gonna hit the ground before you do. ;) I have heard a bike with this kit put on it, and it did sound good. Nice mellow tone to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts