Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get a paint job in 4 days so I need to take off my gas tank. It is full with gas and I was wondering how to get off my tank. I have everything unscrewed but there is a hose connected to it. Can I just take that off or will a lot of gas shoot at me.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Turn the fuel petcock to the 'off ' position. If it doesn't have an 'off ', it's vacuum controlled, just leave it in the 'on' position. Check for vent hoses too, underneath the tank.

·
Registered
607 Posts
if it is a pretty new suzuki has two little ears that you press and slide the hose off like the 2001 750 i had but if it has a petcock do what mph said.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Well, if there is no petcock, I sure wouldn't think fuel would come out. You can buy or make some pinch off pliers. Pinch the line just ahead of where you are gonna disconnect it. To make some, get a pair of needle nose vise grips, slip a two inch piece of 3/8 fuel line over each jaw. Clamp it on the line, no fuel.

·
The guy in front of you!
987 Posts
The tank will have to be drained to paint anyway so, just get a gas can and put the end of the hose in the neck of the can and drain it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.