Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be picking up an XR50 soon and might start doing some track riding. What type of gear do you guys use? I guess I'll need boots and a helmet at minimum. Are street gloves OK? What kind of other gear do you wear? I'm usually not a fan of skimping on gear, but it's only a 50 and I'm broke, so I'm looking for cheaper stuff. Also, where are good places online to purchase gear?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Forum Leader,
17,386 Posts
street goves would probably be OK, but IMO a bit overkill... get some MX gloves as they are lighter, cheaper, and breathe a lot better while being way more comfortable for dirt use. Another plus is that you can wash them, so they wont SMELL like your street gloves :laughing

I wear Alpinestars Tech 6 boots, a Fly helmet, (forget what model it is) and a fox roost guard/chest protector along w/varius apparrel that is designed for dirt riding.

·
Whoa, Black Betty...bam-ba-lam
14,005 Posts
street gloves would not be so pleasant if you're riding the dirt. MX gloves are cheap...in fact, quality MX gear can be had rather inexpensively. The only Pricey items are the helmet and boots....I'm about to pick up another set of gear myself, jersey, pants, gloves, and new Sidi Force SRS boots.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Any specific brands or products you'd recommend for inexpensive beginner gear?

·
14,005 Posts
PAC 762 said:
Thanks guys. Any specific brands or products you'd recommend for inexpensive beginner gear?
Thor, O'neal and Ocelot have decent boots for cheap....Alpinestars also has some inexpensive bottom end boots....you'll want boots for your ankles...even crashing a 50 can be bad.....helmets....Vega, HJC, KBC, Nolan, and O'neal have some good cheapo helmets. as for the jerseys and pants there is no need....and dirt gloves can be had very cheaply through Cyclegear or any local shops.

·
14,005 Posts
Reyndogg said:
I'll add that if there's ONE thing to never skimp on in the dirt, it's boots...
I agree....boots and helmets are paramount....however, being as he is just pimping a 50 for now, he should be ok with some more inxepensive boots.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Helmet, boots, goggles and gloves will get you started. Boots will be the biggest expense, and is definitely an area you don't want to skimp on. My Alpinestars Tech 6s turned what would have been an ankle broken by twisting (don't know the medical term) into a bad sprain, and I still finished the race (45 more miles). Get a decent full face helmet that is comfy. You will crash, you will land on your head, you will scratch it. Buy something of decent quality, but you don't need to spend more than $150. Check the internet retailers and watch for package deals. Also pick up some dirt mags, they are full of ads from retailers advertising package deals on gear.

I've had decent luck with www.motorcycle-superstore.com
Check their closeouts, and don't forget Tricktape also sells dirt stuff. PM Rezin OR GSXshawnF and see what they can do for you.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the help.

What do you guys think of the KBC TKX helmet? It's snell approved, and it's incredibly cheap on ebay. I'll probably upgrade by the summer, so it would just be to hold me over.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, do have any preferences for gloves?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sweet. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't skimp on the gear. I've broken 16 bones already racing motocross. When I broke both my legs at the same time, in 8 places, I was wearing Ocelot MX Boots. They cost me about 100 bucks. Was my first pair of boots. I got them in a package deal. And I was also going for the cheap stuff.. And look what happend. I'm not saying it woudlnt have happned if I had nicer boots, but it was less likely. I wear Alpinstar Tech 8's now, and I've had worse crashes, with no broken feet/ankles. But I got my collar bone in 4 pieces, from not wearing a chest protector, I got a 9 inch pin in my shoulder for that one. Anyway enough said. Dont' skimp on teh gear. Wear it all.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
I broke my ankle in Ocelot boots...that Chapparal package deal seemed like a bargain, but in retrospect it was a mistake. I now use Tech 6's and feel much more confident in the protection they offer. After learning the hard way, I really believe in not skimping on gear...at least if you plan on jumping and riding aggressively.

·
14,005 Posts
Chris S said:
I just picked up a pair of Asterisk Cell knee braces that cost more than my Thor SVR helmet and Tech 6 boots combined. It was a painful purchase, but hopefully less so than knee injuries/surgery/rehab.
How much did those end up running you....I'm no spring chicken anymore and I need to protect my knees...that was made much more evident last saturday. I'm also about to upgrade from my three year old A-star M-4's to either Tech 8's or Sidi Force SRS boots.

As for my statement to him...the helmet and boots will be the most expensive necessities for pimpin' the fiddy.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Nobody seems to discount them, so you're prob. looking at paying full retail of $550, which is considered to be the best deal in knee braces. I got 10% off @ TJ's Cycles through my AMSA membership, and could get you the same deal if you want to pay me up front and pick them up here.

·
14,005 Posts
Chris S said:
Nobody seems to discount them, so you're prob. looking at paying full retail of $550, which is considered to be the best deal in knee braces. I got 10% off @ TJ's Cycles through my AMSA membership, and could get you the same deal if you want to pay me up front and pick them up here.
i'll get in touch with you on that

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.