Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, Im currently have no gear (besides my HJC CL-12 helmet) I am looking for Protectice gear that i can stay cool in for the summer months.

First off i live in Dallas Texas, where it rarely goes below Freezing in the Winter, and in the Summers The Temp. commonly breaks 100, theres also one other factor, I'm a sweaty bastard, I guess its glandular. :shrug Anywho, here are my priorities for Gear in numerical order of most important to least, and yes i allways plan to wear full gear.
  1. Protection, I want to be safe in the event, for I think my body is worth more than the price paid for gear
  2. Comfort, As previously stated im a sweay bastard, and Riding in summer wearing full gear doesnt sound to appealing, I want my riding to be as pleasant as possible.
  3. Price, Only one restriction here, total of gear not to exceed 600 (Im still growin)[/list=1]
    Im lookin for a 2 piece suit, and am wonderin. do i want the pants and jacket be able to zip all the way around my waist, or is just the rear connection between the gear good enough. I know its alot, but Im gettin my 1st bike, and wanna be safe.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1 more thing

Would I be missing out if I passed on the Teknic violator pros for sale at www.newenough.com for 69 bucks? I dont want to be kickin my own ass once the sale is over. They dont seem like the best protection to me because the "chrome" is plastic.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Re: 1 more thing

afog05 said:
Would I be missing out if I passed on the Teknic violator pros for sale at www.newenough.com for 69 bucks? I dont want to be kickin my own ass once the sale is over. They dont seem like the best protection to me because the "chrome" is plastic.
The "chrome plastic" is carbon fiber under it, and yes that is a very good deal. Jump for it.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
As for your original post. During the summer you might want to try a Coolmax or DryFit(Nike product) in place of t-shirt and jeans.
CoolMax vendors:
http://www.rvuultracool.com/(these are the ones I use, but they are very obvious when the jacket is off.)
http://www.motocoolstuff.com/
http://www.sweatitout.com/

The DryFit stuff can be found in any sporting good store. These garmets can help cooling by controling/wicking sweat away from your skin and helping evaporative drying.

Personally I don't believe in the fabric mesh jackets. I have a full perf leather jacket from Triumph that does quite well, and is more protective. Another thing to consider is color. Black may go with anything, but it helps cook you in the sun. I would suggest you look at the Triumph Race jacket, I have one in silver. Well built, not a bad price, and good feeling. I don't have any other suggestions that would go under you price. Vanson is one of the best, but they are expensive.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you already have a lid, you can squeeze by on $600 for a full set of gear, though it's worth mentioning that it's nice to have a little selection when the weather changes. :)

For hot weather only, you can't do too bad with a perforated AGV 2-pc suit. They can be had for $300-$400 new, and they have a mind-boggling selection.

Snap up a pair of Violator Pro's on clearance, and a pair of Phoenix gloves for when it's really hot. Get yourself a pair of the Hein Gericke boots that New Enough is clearing out, and you've got a full set of gear.

Also, I'd recommend a Fieldsheer Titanium Air or Phoenix jacket for when it's REALLY hot and you're riding in traffic - it won't ventilate any better than perf'ed leather when you're sitting still, but it's much lighter, so you won't be AS hot.

All the things listed will put you around $150 over budget, but it'll be worth it.

Jared

1 - 5 of 5 Posts