Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many GI Deaths From Motorcycles
CAMP LEJEUNE, N. Carolina, Feb. 6, 2006
(CBS/AP) More American troops have died on U.S. roads in off-duty motorcycle accidents after they returned from Afghanistan than have been killed fighting there since Sept. 11, 2001, safety records show.

Military commanders in North Carolina say the deaths are largely the result of boredom, bonus pay, and adrenalin to burn off after troops return from wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Nearly 350 troops have died on motorcycles since the 2001 terrorist attacks. That's compared to 259 killed while serving in Afghanistan.

Nearly 1,000 more troops have been injured on motorcycles.

Marine Lance Cpl. Mark Strickland, 24, was one of five Marines from Camp Lejeune who were involved in serious motorcycle crashes in October. Four of them had been home just a few weeks from combat in Iraq's deadly Anbar Province. Three of the Marines were killed and another lost a leg.

"When the doctor told me that he was dead, I told him that wasn't acceptable, it just wasn't acceptable," said Andrea Strickland, 22, the widow of Mark Strickland. "I said, 'He just got back from a war zone, and you're going to tell me that he died doing something he loved?' "

Lt. Gen. James F. Amos, commander of the Camp Lejeune-based II Marine Expeditionary Force described the crashes in October as "a cold shot to the heart" and ordered a crackdown. The following month normal base operations were halted to focus on safety, particularly for motorcyclists.

Camp Lejeune also added safety programs and re-emphasized existing ones. These include a mentor program Amos created that is being considered as a model for the entire Marine Corps.

The Army has not been immune to off-duty motorcycle deaths, with more than 40 in the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30. The Army chief of staff issued a memo in December that urges experienced riders to cut the accident rate by mentoring beginners.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Motorcycles have been a hot-button issue with DOD for a few years now. Every week's mishap messages has uneducated motorcyclists injuring themselves...mostly single bike accidents. The main "Military" forum has a number of threads on the topic. There's usually knee-jerk reactions when stuff like this comes out where they make it very hard to get on base with a bike or try and make riding off limits even on off-duty time. Even for the folks who have taken the MSF, there's requirements that it has to be within 5 years, etc...

·
Military Sportbikers Moderator,
2,502 Posts
Ok, 2 points. I hope I don't offend anyone with either, but I'm one of those guys that say shit and then deal with it later

1st. How about this, How about letting our GI's blow some shit up and have some fun over there. Let them get some aggression out while they are in an, oh, what do you call it? "WAR ZONE" Then they will come home to relax and not come home to get rid of the pent up aggression.

Ok, sorry to but I think it needed to be said. And I meant no disrespect to the GI's.

2nd. Let's run some numbers here. How many people have been killed by themselves, killed others, or killed by others where alcohol was involved? Hmmmm, I bet they don't want to do the math there. I would guess that more GI's have died, or have killed because of drunk driving than on motorcycles.

They are just using motorcycles as a patsy. We all know the risks, and we love to ride.

Ok, I'm off of my soap box now.

Funny story, So a bunch of us went to Deals Gap, and one of the "Swimmers" (the guys that jump out of the helicopters into the water to save people) trashed the hell out of his bike. he wasn't hurt bad, just bruised up and he didn't loose any work days. Well the word got back to the station and the Senior Chief wasn't for us all going in the first place. So I knew he was going to say something to me and I was ready. Here is how it went down. This was the first day back to work.

I am on my way to "Quarters" and the Senior Chief and the EO are coming down the stairs as I'm walking by.

The Senior Chief said "It's all a matter of time before one of you get's hurt or killed!" (in a smart ass tone)

I said, "Well Senior, it's all a matter of time before one of you drive home drunk from a morale party and hurt or kill someone on a motorcycle!"

Nothing more was ever said to me about it. And we have been going at least twice a year sense. This was in 2001 I think.

·
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Matt, will you run for President in 2008? We need you in the Whitehouse. Blowing stuff up and riding motorcycles could be your campaigns main platform.

C'mon guys Matt for President!!:clap :clap :clap

Let's get some bumperstickers made, start a write-in campaign. :clap :clap :clap

Matt for President in 2008

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

·
BRaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappP
2,256 Posts
I rode with a bunch of military guys once.......I think it was last April :confused ......anyway, bunch of nuts.....

·
Registered
723 Posts
Gino said:
I rode with a bunch of military guys once.......I think it was last April :confused ......anyway, bunch of nuts.....
........and they are alcoholics :redflip

·
2,502 Posts
ttaylor137 said:
........and they are alcoholics :redflip
Just think, if you hadn't have met us at the meetings, you would have never went to the gap! LOL

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hmmm, I think I currently qualify in those catagories. Just getting back from Afghanistan, only a lil longer. Getting a new bike wiht my signing bonus...Check. Alot of adrenaline and didn't get to blow anythin up. Alcohalic, not that bad, but do love my drink, but not to drive and drink. I hear this alot "your gonna kill yourself on that one day" but hell at least I died doin what I love? In all seriouseness, its nice to be able to enjoy your freedom on a bike, to just ride and forget about what you've seen and done over here, but sometimes you get caught up in a moment and things happen.

·
2,502 Posts
Blubaldmontess,

Thanks for doing what you had to do. We appreciate it!

And there is nothing with being an alcohalic, that's where I met most of my closest friends. Then drinking with them after the meetings just made our relationships stronger.

(ok, that was wrong, but hey, I thought it was funny)

Is this your first bike? What did you get?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry about the long delay, its hard to get on here with so many other people go ahead and ask Jumpmaster he's with me. No this will be the fourth bike. Started with a 97 FZR, moved up to a 03 Katana, Then to a GSXR 750. Right now I'm either going to buy an 04 GSXR1 or an 03 R1 depending on how far I wanna travel and what I want to pay.

As for being an alcohalic, we've done that in moderation over here, I do believe :D. In all seriouseness, I think drinking with most people shows you all sides of em, so its cool. I just wanna get back to the states and RIDE!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts