Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, '96 S-10, 4.3L Vortec.

According to the manual, it has an HVS ignition system (also called Enhanced Ignition, or IE).

The thing that looks like a distributor isn't a distributor.

The thing that looks like a little rectifier is the coil.

God knows what all the other crap is.

My question is, I have an aftermarket tach I'm trying to install, and the instructions say to connect to the "Tach" connection on the distributor. That's cool for conventional GM ignition systems. Mine doesn't have a 'Tach' connection. (In fact the timing is non-adjustable according to the book).

Any GM mechanics have access to a wiring diagram? Only one I have shows a tach connected to one of the wires on the coil, but doesn't specify which one (there are three).

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I can pull it in the am and send you a PM with the info if you want. It's too damn cold and too damn late for me to walk out to my truck and fire up my computer.

You will most likely have to pull your signal off a wire from the pcm. I will let you know what I find unless someone get;s to it sooner.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Jeff, like you said, your vortec uses what GM calls an 'Enhanced ignition'. The distributor is actually called a KV switch, that includes the camshaft position sensor, used for missfire detection and cylinder identification. The KV part means kilovolt, which is secondary distribution. (still sounds like a distributor to me). The crankshaft position sensor,( mounted on the timing cover), gives the PCM/VCM a pulse every 60 degrees for coil and injector firing,( after the PCM messes with it).Timing is determine by the PCM. Oh, back to your Tach problem. The coil should have a gray connector with a pink and white wire coming from it. The pink wire is B+,(ign. power feed), and the white wire is your coil trigger coming from the ign module. The white wire is what you want to hook your Tach to. The coil control module is in front of the coil by the passgr. side valve cover. It might have a pigtail already there. It is also spliced and runs your instrument panel tach, if you had one. Hey, why don't you have a factory Tach?

·
Registered
715 Posts
My jeep cherokee had the idiot light and no tach instrument panel when I got it. I just replaced the whole cluster. It plugged right in. Anyway........"White wire"

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Z1rider said:
My jeep cherokee had the idiot light and no tach instrument panel when I got it. I just replaced the whole cluster. It plugged right in. Anyway........"White wire"
White wire! You da man, Al!

Tach's hooked up, everything's copacetic! Thanks both of you for your help!

I gave a little thought to trying to find a cluster from an S-10 with the 'Sport' package (or whatever package has the integral tach). It probably would plug right in with little hassle. But I didn't have the energy.

If you wanna see all I did, here's some pix:

http://jeffr.vircom.net/cbsbc/s-10air/s-10air.html

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
nice, is that ur garage?

i have a few R\C airplanes of my own but havent done anything with them in a while. need to finish a few too

1 - 7 of 7 Posts