Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to my first track day at Eastern Creek (Australia) on Sunday.

I was just wondering what i should:

1) Take with me
2) Do to my bike before racing (remove mirrors, disconnect brake lights etc etc)
3) Do while i am racing (what to look out for, tips on racing etiquette etc)
4) Do in between sessions
5) Work on while i am racing (I have twist of the wrist 2, i was thinking of working on a chapter for each session, using what it says in the chapter while i am racing.)

Any other tips for my first track day?

thanks. :toothy

·
Registered
301 Posts
aprilia4life said:
I am going to my first track day at Eastern Creek (Australia) on Sunday.

I was just wondering what i should:

1) Take with me
2) Do to my bike before racing (remove mirrors, disconnect brake lights etc etc)
3) Do while i am racing (what to look out for, tips on racing etiquette etc)
4) Do in between sessions
5) Work on while i am racing (I have twist of the wrist 2, i was thinking of working on a chapter for each session, using what it says in the chapter while i am racing.)

Any other tips for my first track day?

thanks. :toothy
Congratz..be ready to be spending ALL of your $$ on track days, and goodies for the bike...:laughing

See if I can help ya a bit..

Take with ya...if it's warm/hot..lots of water/gatorade, and snacks.
basic tools, I take spare frt. brake, and clutch levers, Gas, chain lube..and of course duct tape..and taking a friend is a good idea..just in case.

Do to your bike..make sure it's fluid tight, no leaks..tires should be almost new, for your safety, and have about 30lbs of air at each end, depending on the type of tires ya have..LUBE the chain..make sure all nuts/bolts are tight..Does your track day host require any safety wiring..? and or, draining ALL the coolant and replacing it with distilled water..coolant is very slippery, worse than oil, and harder to clean up..Also if you have a tool kit in the trunk, remove it..and anything that can fly all over and be a danger to riders..

In between sessions..RELAX, cool down, drink fluids..stay hydrated..check your bike for any leaks ..ect. and relax

Umm..did I miss something..? Work on while your RACING.? Dude, there's no trophies at a track day..don't race, ride with the notion of improving..i.e. being smooth, hold your lines, don't endanger anyone...and also, if there's a faster rider than you, but you have more HP, please, don't drag race him/her to the turn, then slow them up in the turn, be a sport, let em by. The fast riders will appreciate you riding in a manner that lets them ride at their pace, yet still lets you, and everyone have fun..Don't push yourself so hard that ya crash, your there to have FUN..the 1st couple of sessins should be the slowest ones, as you gain confidence, and get to know the track, you'll prolly speed up..If you do nothing else, work on being smooth..is what most racers, and track day junkies strive for..have fun..:D

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Relax, eat some food, drink plenty of fluids, and don't try to keep up with anyone.

If you think you'll need it, bring it........eventually you'll learn what you do and don't need to haul out there.

·
Registered
643 Posts
My first trackday I went with a school type group.. it was nice but pretty slow until the end of the day. However I did pickup some good pointers for first time at the track.

first session go real slow.. feel how wide the track is (or narrow for that matter) but get a feel for where the track is look at the lines don't worry about fast this time thought.

second session go through in one gear with no brakes.. that gives you an idea of how fast each section is.

third i started shifting and slightly using brakes but wasn't pushing it really at all

fourth session kneescrapping fun :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
yeah ill be doing big willow on the 29th and after talking to a few people about how fast the track is im gettin scared!! first time at the track and ill be doing over a buck 40 into turn one?? ahah. this should prove interesting..

well im not REALLY gonna do a buck 40..maybe 40? hahahah LOL

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Remove the mirrors,tape up the lights and speedo.Make sure you have good tires(should be almost new)drain the anifreeze and replace with distilled water(don't want anyone else crashing if you do)with water wetter.

Checklist

1.chairs
2.earplugs
3.food(light stuff)
4.extra gas
5.tire gauge
6.tinted and clear shield for helmet
7.extra socks
8.spares if you have them(levers ect.)
9.your leathers,gear(would suck to get to the track and not have your gloves)
10.your key to the bike(no need to explain)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I dont know how the weather is over there or what the track is like but.....I do know that last month when I went to a track day for the first time the gnats and bugs were the biggest pain in the ass. We had to go to the store and get some bug spray. So, if it's warm over there w/a lot of trees around........

Bring bug spray!

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Just relax! Have fun, and don't worry about going fast. Just try to improve on your riding.

Pick one thing to work on each session.
EX : body positoin, or breaking, or turn 3, or turn in, ect.

Big Tip : whatever happens, TURN IT IN!!! Alot of OTE (off track excursions, sometimes resulting in wrecks, but never confadance boosing) are very avoidable if you turn in at your turn-in point and hang on. Miss a gear? Just grab the clutch and coast on through! In too hot? Just lean a little more, you'll be fine.

Have fun, and welcome to the addiction that is the racetrack!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Don't forget to..

BREATHE!! Don't tense up out there. Like vizsladog listed....earplugs. I keep forgetting. Not this time.

Wotschic, yeah those nats really sucked. Wish I would have known you guys didn't have any, I had plenty.

Oh-yeah, have a blast! Are you ready for the addiction!?

·
Registered
560 Posts
pop up canopy!!!!!
you gotta have shade. dont know about where your at but here in FL it is HOT. like the others said. drink lots of fluid, water is best during the day.

·
Registered
361 Posts
WOTs Chick said:
I dont know how the weather is over there or what the track is like but.....I do know that last month when I went to a track day for the first time the gnats and bugs were the biggest pain in the ass. We had to go to the store and get some bug spray. So, if it's warm over there w/a lot of trees around........

Bring bug spray!
I have never had that problem at NFMP, I guess I am to sweaty and stinkin.:laughing what type of purfume do you wear so I am sure not to wear that kind there? :redflip

1 - 16 of 16 Posts