Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Moderator,
11,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, $12 now to get the bike inspected, but no worries... it passed. Turns out my turn signal problem was simply due to the fact that we live on a dirt road (dirty, crudded up contacts between bulb and socket).

And, no threats of snow:

Today
Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 40s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight
Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 20s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Wednesday
Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 30s. Northwest winds around 5 mph.

Wednesday Night
Mostly cloudy with a chance of flurries. Lows in the lower 20s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Thursday
Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 30s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Thursday Night
Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 20s.

Friday
Partly cloudy with a chance of flurries. Highs in the lower 40s.

Friday Night
Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 20s.

Saturday
Partly cloudy. Highs around 40.

Saturday Night

Sunday
Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 30s.

Sunday Night

Monday
Partly cloudy. Highs around 40.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Friday, chance of flurries. Besides, I guaranteed no snow when I informed the boy that you in fact can ride a 4 wheeler in the snow, and it's ridiculously fun. That means we'll either get no snow or his bike won't start if we do.
whodat

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Its like $25 to inspect anything in DC. DC inspection station (there's only one) and DMV are in cahoots. I've never had a vehicle pass on the first try. As far as I know, there are also no exemptions for antique vehicles...bikes at least...a real pain when you have a not so fully restored 1972 CB. So you have to come back and pay another 20 bucks re-inspection. Temporary tags in DC were also only valid for 20 days the last time I had to deal with them.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Cool, Yellow Death is legal again!

No flurries, but damn cold.

I am going to kill that groundhog!

·
Moderator,
11,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rekoniz said:
Its like $25 to inspect anything in DC. DC inspection station (there's only one) and DMV are in cahoots. I've never had a vehicle pass on the first try. As far as I know, there are also no exemptions for antique vehicles...bikes at least...a real pain when you have a not so fully restored 1972 CB. So you have to come back and pay another 20 bucks re-inspection. Temporary tags in DC were also only valid for 20 days the last time I had to deal with them.
That's why I know many people who live in DC but have their vehicles registered in VA or MD. :shake

I just rode down to the corner (ok, so said corner is 9.5 miles away...) and got it inspected. :shrug 5 mins tops. Spent more time BSing with the owners than getting the inspection done.

·
Moderator,
11,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
f4asg said:
Cool, Yellow Death is legal again!

No flurries, but damn cold.

I am going to kill that groundhog!
:confused Why does it matter? You have electrics. :redflip Altho I rode without them yesterday. Wasn't too bad. Neck got a little chilly but otherwise I was fine. :)

This morning, tho... BRRRRRR.... I had to turn the heated seat on high.... in the Pilot. :nanana

Not sure where my tank bag disappeared off to, so I caged it today.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Sxy Rdr said:
:confused Why does it matter? You have electrics. :redflip Altho I rode without them yesterday. Wasn't too bad. Neck got a little chilly but otherwise I was fine. :)

This morning, tho... BRRRRRR.... I had to turn the heated seat on high.... in the Pilot. :nanana

Not sure where my tank bag disappeared off to, so I caged it today.
Had to reorder another cord. I had the Widder thermostat and would ride with it in my coat pocket. Got home and all I could smell was melting circuitry. Second time I forgot ... if keeping it in my pocket is the problem.

This time I simply ordered the on/off switch, JUST in case i put it in my pocket again. $13 vs $80+.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
The only issue I have when it is this cold in the mornings is keeping my grill warm. Nothing like a big ball O Snot frozen to your upper lip by the time you get to work!

·
Moderator,
11,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
f4asg said:
Had to reorder another cord. I had the Widder thermostat and would ride with it in my coat pocket. Got home and all I could smell was melting circuitry. Second time I forgot ... if keeping it in my pocket is the problem.

This time I simply ordered the on/off switch, JUST in case i put it in my pocket again. $13 vs $80+.
Interesting.... I've not yet had a problem with my Gerbings stuff....

·
Mr. Yuk is mean. Mr. Yuk is green.
548 Posts
I wish my commute didn't invovle the interstate and it weren't such a pain to go the long scenic way. :( I would certainly ride more often.

·
Moderator,
11,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh and Donovan got to ride yesterday too. Probably going to ride again today. And every day he can. :lmao

We (Todd) put his bike back together on Sunday, too. Todd was the only one who rode it on Sunday. :laughing

·
Moderator,
11,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have:
heated grips
Gerbings jacket liner
Gerbings pants liner
Gerbings socks

I be toasty warm when I use all of that stuff. ;)

·
Moderator,
8,601 Posts
HooliKen said:
The only issue I have when it is this cold in the mornings is keeping my grill warm. Nothing like a big ball O Snot frozen to your upper lip by the time you get to work!

Are you using anything around your neck? If not, try a polypro headover. Tuck the lower end in your jacket and the upper end over your ears and chin. Then strap on the helmet and you are good to go.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Are you using anything around your neck? If not, try a polypro headover.
I have about 4 different versions of neck protection.......and its not my neck that gets cold. The issue I have is with my face. I think it may have a lot to do with where the air coming off the windscreen hits me. I am not comfortable being in a full tuck commuting. :D

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Sxy Rdr said:
Interesting.... I've not yet had a problem with my Gerbings stuff....
And the wiring for my pants (chaps?) broke. :D Now they are useless.

I am going to switch to Gerbings next winter. I picked the Widder because I wanted to keep my winter gear (BelStaff jacket 1-2 yrs old, BelStaff pants 3-4 yrs old) cause it still had some lifetime in it.

But next winter and it will be time to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
HooliKen said:
The issue I have is with my face.
I agree. Early in the ride (5 am), tears are pouring out of my eyes and being wicked onto my face shield and eyeglasses. Not the best situation for deer and vermin spotting.

Then the snot! I look like one of those kids heading into daycare with a running nose.

Not a pretty sight, but I'm smiling cause I'm riding!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts