Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm downstairs in the garage moving so stuff around, i took my helmet, jacket etc. off my bike and noticed...a huge crack in the middle fairing!!! Also noticed some white powdery stuff next to the area......i am furious!! It was not like that last week when i parked it..

Yeah i know i'm going to get a bunch of shit by posting this but thats how i like my bikes clean no cracks..etc..and when i comes time to trade it in thats why i always get top dollar for them.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
That sucks man! Just torqued the fairing screw to tight??

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Smokin_Joe said:
That sucks man! Just torqued the fairing screw to tight??
i've never touched that screw, why would it just break all of a sudden, and why the white powdery residue all over that area???

·
Learn'ed
872 Posts
I'll bet it was just the plastic heating up and cooling down, probably just expanded a little to much.

·
Falling asleep to the sound of gunfire, nightly.
6,609 Posts
someone turned that screw... :(

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Maybe got too Cold with an improperly wrenched on screw... OR Someone else has been touching dropping stuff on, leaning on your ride.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
viper1158 said:
i've never touched that screw, why would it just break all of a sudden, and why the white powdery residue all over that area???
Maybe someone was doing coke on the side of your bike ???? Think about it.:confused

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
its just as bad finding something like that w/o knowing how it happened as it is to doing it yourself. You do it and are pissed at yourself... someone else does it and you want to kill somethin':(

at least the peice didn't go flyin' off in the breeze;)

·
stupid people suck....
3,464 Posts
at least you didn't fry your ignition wiring harness on the morning of the first sunny saturday in i can't remember how long.... :rant :rant :rant :rant :rant

·
CF Security Administrator,
6,639 Posts
Pull the screw and see if there's loctite on the threads....the shit will screw up plastic (and leave the residue you speak of to boot) if it gets on the plastic....

·
STEW'S LOVE CHILD
20,003 Posts
is it under warranty? I know there are some stress crack issues on the tail sections of the 01-03 f4i's and honda replaced them with a new tail. They might do it for that but doubtftul

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
DRS said:
at least you didn't fry your ignition wiring harness on the morning of the first sunny saturday in i can't remember how long.... :rant :rant :rant :rant :rant
Danny, call me I think I may have an extra harness you can use.

Brian 26-240-2927

·
Terminally Adolescent
2,506 Posts
Can you plastic weld that? There are a few guys around here that can weld plastics. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Zeos said:
Pull the screw and see if there's loctite on the threads....the shit will screw up plastic (and leave the residue you speak of to boot) if it gets on the plastic....
will it leave a residue up to 8inches away and down the side of the fairing?

the way its cracked it looks like someone leaned right on that spot or set something on it..

i called RMC and got a price( 4 hours later) $312. oh well thats what i gotta do.

i just wish whoever did it would have just told me, thats what pisses me off the most. i have 10 people living in the house...shits bound to happen but just wish someone would have said something..

·
I wanna ride...
638 Posts
viper1158 said:
will it leave a residue up to 8inches away and down the side of the fairing?

the way its cracked it looks like someone leaned right on that spot or set something on it..

i called RMC and got a price( 4 hours later) $312. oh well thats what i gotta do.

i just wish whoever did it would have just told me, thats what pisses me off the most. i have 10 people living in the house...shits bound to happen but just wish someone would have said something..
Sorry to hear about your bike's fairing cracked. I like my stuff new and scratch free as well. Maybe you should put barbed wire around bike from now on:p

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dianjo said:
Sorry to hear about your bike's fairing cracked. I like my stuff new and scratch free as well. Maybe you should put barbed wire around bike from now on:p
thanks, yeah this will force me to paint somethings i've been wanting to paint for a while...you know how i do things.

·
Are we there yet?
1,048 Posts
My RC cracked at one of the mounting screws on the rear seat cowl not long after I bought it. I called I-90 and asked them about it and they replaced under warranty. The bike was about 9 months old then and I'd been under there wiring in my PC3 and alarm but they said it shouldn't have cracked like it did so...

If there is a question about he tail on those bikes I would call and make a claim. The worst they can do is come to your house, shoot you, and kick over your trash can.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mcoomer said:
My RC cracked at one of the mounting screws on the rear seat cowl not long after I bought it. I called I-90 and asked them about it and they replaced under warranty. The bike was about 9 months old then and I'd been under there wiring in my PC3 and alarm but they said it shouldn't have cracked like it did so...

If there is a question about he tail on those bikes I would call and make a claim. The worst they can do is come to your house, shoot you, and kick over your trash can.
its the mid fairing, by the gas tank cover, its only $300 bucks, its more the pinciple than anything.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts