Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a 03+ Sv650s. I found one but the seller has over $1k listed in his thread. This makes me weary but my main question is what would a gsx-r rear shock due to this bike? I have been riding my friends 03 sv650s that is completely stock for two weeks. How much of a difference would I be able to tell with the different suspension? Is this something a person with inexperience should avoid to start on?

Thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
you, prolly wouldn't notice a diff. . it's a common thing amongst more hardcore riders to "upgrade" the shock.

did you take the MSF yet?

·
Registered
122 Posts
The modern GSXR shock should make a definite improvement in ride quality and handling.

Those who want their SV to have more performance capability commonly upgrade the shock and forks. You won't notice any difference, unless you'd been riding the same SV for a long time and then did the upgrade.

It's fine for an inexperienced rider to have an upgraded shock, I think it can only help you learn to ride better.

P

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the MSF Course a month ago and passed the wrritten test at the DMV. I already bought all my gear so all thats left is a motorcycle. Thanks for the information ya'll supplied me with. I am going to make an offer on the bike and see if he will accept.

Thanks again
A

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,282 Posts
RACER X said:
you, prolly wouldn't notice a diff.
+1, been there, done that (rode another SV and then mine... didn't notice much of a difference)

:shrug

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
well, the stock sv shock and the gsxr shock are to differant beasts, I had an sv and the rear shock doens't have to much dampning and it beat me up (unlike the showa suspension on my 600RR) but the GSXR shock will give you more dampning. I would take it to your local shop and ask them to revalve and spring it for your weight/riding preferance.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I actually bought a 2005 sv650s with 1300 miles on it the other day. I decided to go with a bike that wasn't modded.

Thanks
A

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Congrats on the new scooter.

Be sure to check out www.svrider.com

Its a great resource.

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,282 Posts
Tripp said:
Thanks for the info guys. I actually bought a 2005 sv650s with 1300 miles on it the other day. I decided to go with a bike that wasn't modded.

Thanks
A
nice :clap :clap

1 - 9 of 9 Posts