Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our ride today my girlfriend and I came up behind a group of 5 Harley riders. We got behind them right before my favorite set of twisties on our whole 115mile ride. However, not wanting to be a dick I decided not to pass them and just join the ride. Well, we ended up riding with them for about 30 miles and I learned two things about Harleys.

1) They are not made for cornering, we were going so slow I thought I was going to fall over. Oh yea, and you can forget about accelerating through turns, or with the particular riders anyway.

2) Their exhausts really, really please my ear. I thought they sounded great, and everyone looked like they were having a good time. I was in the staggered postion behind a female rider, she had the best bike of the bunch too.

All in all it was an enjoyable ride, although the my lady and I did have to poke a little fun at them by taking turns with no hands (we were just goin that slow). Keeping pace with them goin all out, and keeping the revs under 5,000. Imagine 5 Harley riders blipping the throttles at stop signs, and me in the back blippin my Holeshot.....I was crackin my self up, we were so out of place, her on the bright yellow 250:laughing :laughing

·
Registered
31 Posts
Having ridden with a bunch of harley riders, I have seen the same thing.
The thing is, most Harley riders get together with there friends and just go out to enjoy the ride. The real riders are not out to impress anyone they are out to have a good time.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I will have a crusier one day, i just want to have squidly fun with a sportbike first:redflip

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Someday I'll own one I think there cool as hell

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
They definitely look cool, and many ride slower than I do. Most of them are at LEAST twice as old as I am, and they're out to enjoy the ride instead of bombing through twisties. Someday I hope to own one for cruising ;)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Destitute said:
They definitely look cool, and many ride slower than I do. Most of them are at LEAST twice as old as I am, and they're out to enjoy the ride instead of bombing through twisties. Someday I hope to own one for cruising ;)
It would be nice to sit back and enjoy the stuff going past for a change! A few long hauls to other states would be nice too!

·
Wrecker of Threads
311 Posts
Yeah, sometimes when I don't feel like racking myself, I just sit back, and look for some pretty scenery. When we were in colorado, there was a bunch of cruisers riding up to the top of some big ass mountain, switchbacks the entire way, but they were just riding for the scenery....nice people most of the time, just don't diss their bikes.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
With the S.B./cruiser forums together on this board, I'm going to stick my neck out and predict a few converts....now about that DynaGlide...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a BSA Chopper I take out every now and then..

A few of my friends ride Harley, my Father in Law rides a new Indian...

After a day of riding below the speed limit and making nothing but noise, it's nice to jump on my Yamaha and tool some wheelies.

I guess it doesn't matter what you ride...
As long as you ride.

No lawn ornaments allowed:redflip

·
Registered
279 Posts
yesterday my g/f and i went out for a ride through some twisties. my g/f doesnt like going fast at all in the twisties so i go speed limit with her on the back. we get behind a group of 5-8 harleys just cruising along through the canyons. the back rider scooted and waved me by but i just waved him taht i was gonna ride in behind them...didnt want to apss them and thought they would go a good pace for my g/f. well i was wrong. they were going well below the posted limits i mean barely moving along. 2 miles behind them and i noticed a porsche and 2 corvettes now behind us itching to get by. i pulled off at the next turnout and we take off our helmets and the first thing my g/f says is "why were they going so slow?" :snarf
i just about fell down laughing...this comming from my g/f who doesnt like canyon riding at the speed limit. she likes to go slow but that was rediculous

·
Up the Irons!!!
3,233 Posts
I will go out of my way to get in a pack pf Harley just to make them feel uncomfortable about riding with a jap bike!:redflip

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
This past weekend my friend and I found ourselves behind 3 cruiser riders, I couldn't tell what they were.

They were going the speed limit on this nice curvy road and the slow speed through beautiful curves made my shoulder hurt (old injury reignited a few weeks ago). I waited and waited and waited to get signaled to pass them since the passing zones were about 50 yards long when they came up and there always happened to be an oncoming car headed our way when they did appear.

Well after about 14 miles of this, I decided that the next straight I was going to pass them nicely. Way over in the other lane, no quick acceleration. Nice easy but swift pass, and the curves were all ours again. Yeah it was a double yellow, but speed limit and SL-5mph was kinda ridiculous in those conditions.

I don't feel bad about it, but I don't feel mad about waiting either. I think I did it the right way. I hope they do too. I ride my ride, you ride yours, we both enjoy em'.

SB

·
Registered
376 Posts
SBLars said:
This past weekend my friend and I found ourselves behind 3 cruiser riders, I couldn't tell what they were.

They were going the speed limit on this nice curvy road and the slow speed through beautiful curves made my shoulder hurt (old injury reignited a few weeks ago). I waited and waited and waited to get signaled to pass them since the passing zones were about 50 yards long when they came up and there always happened to be an oncoming car headed our way when they did appear.

Well after about 14 miles of this, I decided that the next straight I was going to pass them nicely. Way over in the other lane, no quick acceleration. Nice easy but swift pass, and the curves were all ours again. Yeah it was a double yellow, but speed limit and SL-5mph was kinda ridiculous in those conditions.

I don't feel bad about it, but I don't feel mad about waiting either. I think I did it the right way. I hope they do too. I ride my ride, you ride yours, we both enjoy em'.

SB

14 miles? Damn - you're more patient than I am. I last about 1.4 miles, then I'm itching to pass. I'll leapfrog or take the entire pack - no matter. I don't have much free time to waste, so anyone who's slower than I am gets behind me as soon as possible.

·
Tatters in the Tree House
4,796 Posts
Yea I want one to someday, just can't afford the price tag on one now. I just want to cruize and be able to do poker runs without my ass falling asleep in the first 100 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cruiser someday...yes. But does it have to be a Harley:shake

Just don't like cleaning up oil leaks, etc.

·
Registered
279 Posts
R6Golfer said:
Cruiser someday...yes. But does it have to be a Harley:shake

Just don't like cleaning up oil leaks, etc.
some of those bmw cruisers look really nice. im sure they are $$$$$ but it would be sweet to have to go along with a sportbike.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeah, definately, a V-Rod, that'd be sweet!

Really nice looking bikes. Probably a great deal of fun.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Wow, this is the first thread I ever read that wasn't bashing Harley riders.........yet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts