Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I went to bed at 8 and got home at 11
17,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When growing up, everyone said the same old thing, "When I grow up I'm not gonna do 'such-n-such', like my parents do."

Well..... now that you're grown-up..... do you find you have become more like your parents or complete opposites of them?

Especially those with kids! Do you find yourself saying things to your kids that your parents said to you. Things you didn't like them saying to you (i.e. "Because I'm the Mom/ Dad"; "Want something to cry about? I'll give you something to cry about!")

·
Mad Hawk
5,313 Posts
On a fair number of items..YES. Others...NO

·
Friend of sinners
3,714 Posts
Yes and no. :shrug

On one hand, I don't think I'm ever going to go get anything beyond a college degree, mainly because I suffered through both of them getting their PhDs.

On the other hand, I have inherited my Dad's tendency to get completely lost im my work and not pay attention to what's going on... I think that one annoys my wife as much as it annoyed me whan I was a kid.

There's other things, of course, but since I generally think my parents brought me up well, I don't really worry about imitative behaviour.

·
Moderator,
14,196 Posts
Yes, I have many qualities of both... and thats a good thing in many ways... But I've allso acquired a few qualities I wish I didn't have....

·
The hardest button to button.
9,942 Posts
Absolutely NOT. I strive every single day to be nothing like these two people. In fact they are one of the major reasons I won't have kids :shake

·
I'm so vain, I probably think this song is about m
14,142 Posts
Hmmm.... my parents are Catholics who go to church every week, dont party.

I get the straight talking from my old man tho. He's not scared to say whats up. And my stuubborness from my dads and his mom.

I love my mom, but im nothing like her personality wise.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Like some of the others, in ways yes I am my parents 20-30 years ago and in others I am sooo opposite of them it is not funny.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
ha ha you're all old... :redflip

im still a kid! woo hoo!!!:nanana

·
Good on 2 God on 1
4,568 Posts
Lou Czar said:
On a fair number of items..YES. Others...NO
+1

I hate to admit it but on many accounts I am my father.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
canibeyou said:
When growing up, everyone said the same old thing, "When I grow up I'm not gonna do 'such-n-such', like my parents do."

Well..... now that you're grown-up..... do you find you have become more like your parents or complete opposites of them?

Especially those with kids! Do you find yourself saying things to your kids that your parents said to you. Things you didn't like them saying to you (i.e. "Because I'm the Mom/ Dad"; "Want something to cry about? I'll give you something to cry about!")
Yep almost everyday I realize I'm like them. Thats Ok though they are the closest thing to angels than anyone I know..:D

·
Friend of sinners
3,714 Posts
Baby Gorilla said:
I suppose so. I'm not as paranoid as my dad but not as nutty as my mom.
:2twitch :jawdrop

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Since your parents are the first law in your new-born world, the first pleasure and the first love hopefully ...most children would hold up a hand and say, "Hey I like that ...how can I get more or give more and/or be more like them .."

Some of us kids are not as fortunate. Some of us kids had really terrible examples for parents. Some of us kids wonder why we fawkin' even came into the world while listening to parents complain how costly, how tiresome and how worthless we were/are and have been. Some of us over heard stories about how "they" our mom or dad or both were soooo much happier before we were born.

But what the fawk right?

Right.

I lost my parents at eight years old. So as for them ...to me ...they've been since a made up dream of stuff conjured most of my growing youth ...I couldn't even tell you if I ended up similar to them or not except for professions.:shrug

I can say one thing and one thing only. If you can question your intensions as an adult before you react on your emotions ...you're into improving not damaging what may be suspect of having been bad.

I do not have the good vocabulary to write this correctly. Excuse me.

What I mean is given the choice to react or a choice to think ...I would chose to think. You usually learn how to react from examples [parents]. Therefore in my case at least I am giving myself the opportunity to rethink what may be a reaction that could be wrong or incorrect or misguided or mal-nurtured. I've had a lot of bad examples of parents while living in other households.

I always rid the word no from my adult vocabulary, hating that word when as a child having heard it so often from host families.

NO means: I'm tired, can't explain and you exhaust me. Or in some cases you're too over whelming or you're interrupting me or annoying me and demanding of me and ...also go away why don't you.

I've replaced that word no with the phrase "I'm Listening."

It did wonders for me the first eight years of my life with my real parents. They never used the word no. I couldn't tell if they were burnt out by my millions of questions. I couldn't tell if they cared or couldn't care of things that interested me but they listened. Couldn't tell if they had the time or had a hard time understanding ... all I know is for the first eight years I heard, "I'm listening." And they did.

Now,
Me too.

end
Desmo

edited for some grammar:rolleyes

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
Desmo just made me cry.

·
Mama's Little Joey
14,769 Posts
Damn Desmo...I'm so sorry for your loss. :cry

I am my dad. Now that he's gone, I realize more and more every day. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing since he was such an opinionated pain in the ass sometimes:D :D <--Does that sound like me:laughing :laughing :laughing

1 - 16 of 16 Posts