Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
granted.. it could have been a 250 ninja.. but i highly doubt it...

another inexperienced rider down..

Teen killed in wreck

By Susan R. Miller

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Saturday, February 11, 2006

DELRAY BEACH — A makeshift memorial of flowers sprouted Saturday in the swale where 19-year-old Kimy Louissant died Friday night, killed when his Suzuki Ninja motorcycle slammed into a Lexus in the 300 block of Southeast Third Avenue.

A few blocks away, at the 505 Teen Center on Federal Highway, a group of young men gathered to play on computers, shoot pool and remember their friend as "a cool guy" who "loved everything Ninja." "He wanted to be a Ninja; he always dressed up like it. Ever since he was in high school, he wanted a Ninja motorcycle," said Dennis Boulin, 15, who knew Louissant from the teen center where the two took martial arts classes.

"All he ever talked about was a motorcycle. Now that he got it, he is dead," said 14-year-old C.J. Gerain.

In a neighborhood where a lot of young men give up on their dreams, many said Louissant strived to make them come true.

"Anything he wanted to do, he did," said Joel Isme, 16. "He worked real hard." Friends said Louissant bought the used black motorcycle for $2,000 less than a week ago.

"Some people didn't want him to get a motorcycle. He would have gotten it last year, but his friends said not to," said Lubin Moise, 19.

According to police, Louissant and the driver of the Lexus, Elaine Joseph, of Delray Beach, were heading south on Southeast Third Avenue, when Joseph attempted to turn into a driveway. Police say Louissant, who was wearing a helmet, appeared to be speeding and was unable to stop before slamming into her car. Joseph was taken to Delray Medical Center with minor injuries.

"We heard a big old crash and we came out the door. We seen him on the ground. We didn't know what happened," said Tameka Louis, who lives in the duplex steps from where the accident happened.

At the makeshift memorial, Matthew Carbone, one of the teen center's supervisors, brought flowers, sat on the sidewalk and wept.

"He wanted to be a Ninja and he drove a Ninja," said Carbone.

Friends and family said Louissant loved Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee movies and wanted to be a martial arts movie star. He was a green belt and won first place in his division at a martial arts competition, said his coach of three years, Delray Beach Police Sgt. Adam Rosenthal, one of the officers who responded to the accident.

"This is a nice kid," Rosenthal told a reporter Friday night. He pulled out his cellphone and scrolled to a photo that showed Louissant standing next to four other teens dressed in martial arts uniforms.

Born in Haiti, Louissant had been here five or six years and came from a large family of four boys and three girls, said his brother Louis, 25. His mother, he added, was not taking it well.

Mike Borton, a youth pastor who met Louissant three years ago, described him as someone who always wanted to help with civic projects.

"This kid was committed, when he worked, he worked real hard," Borton said. "Some kids just screw around, but he was dedicated." The Rev. Charles Fifield of the Banyan Tree Church, an evangelical non-denominational church whose members met at a Delray Beach Miami Subs until Hurricane Wilma destroyed it said Louissant was a regular.

"He was such a fabulous, supportive young person," said Fifield. "He had so much potential." Louissant attended Atlantic Community High School and was a member of the ROTC, Louis said. But he didn't graduate. Instead, he went back and earned his GED. Recently, he started working at Louie Louie Too, a Italian restaurant on Atlantic Avenue.

Juan Vega, the restaurant's manager, said Louissant's father had told him to sell the motorcycle and he had just offered to sell it to another employee on the day of the accident.

"He was a very quiet kid, but a hard-working person," Vega said. "He was learning and doing well. We were very happy with him." The family was still making funeral arrangements Saturday evening.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2006/02/11/0210ninja.html

·
Moderator,
12,051 Posts
RIP for the rider, but I don't see how him wanting to be a ninja had anything to do with his crash... :confused

That and I didn't know that suzuki made the ninjas.. All these years I thought it was kawasaki! :shake

RIP - Sucks to see another rider go :(

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
Thats too bad, not to far from here.

·
Registered
24,114 Posts
RIP

Method didn't you know every sportsbike is a ninja....Duh :rolleyes

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have to wonder if he'd still be alive if he had taken the MSF course.

·
Moderator,
12,930 Posts
(Ego + Testosterone + Horsepower - Skills) usually = a result as described above. :shake

19 years old, had the bike less than a week. :shake

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
FZR, I think you are referencing this equ:

Life expectancy = (skills + luck)/(ego*testosterone*horsepower)

Works out well for me since I'm a girl on an ex250 :nanana but I have been called a cocky bastard so we shall see.

·
Registered
992 Posts
RIP.
Engine size does not matter in the event of a crash. Hitting a stationairy object at 60 mph is hitting a stationairy object at 60 mph regardless of the engine size.
It is sad to see these deaths. I know that I will get flamed for this but I think MSF courses should be the only way to get a motorcycle license. The squids will undoubtedly attend the classes for lip service but the ignorant might actually learn something and it might save some lives. I got my drivers license before I did the MSF course and was riding in shorts and flip-flops until the MSF guys beat some sense into me. Secondly, we should also have a tiered system where newbies are forced to start on 500 cc or lower.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
aWell, since they omitted any details about how or why the accident happened, saying taking an MSF class would have made a difference is really pointless.

Heck, the reporter doesn't know enough to realize Suzuki doesn't make Ninjas (so it eiter was a Kawasaki or some model of Suzuki), and they really don't offer anything to explain what type of injuries he died from.

They say he appeared to be speeding, but I say :bs on that one....might just be trying to assign blame. He he was trying to pull into a driveway, why would he be speeding. Especially when you consider how hard working the kid was, odds are he was more sensible and responsible than others his age.

Frankly, I think they're trying to pin the blame on the accident on the kid. Since he's dead, there's no way to prove that the woman he hit didn't decide to pull into a drive at the last minute WITHOUT signaling any warning. Yeah, he may have been following too close, but it sounds like classic "wasn't my fault" talk from the other driver.

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,282 Posts
very very very very sad. :(

sounds like a bit of experience and training would have made a world of difference here. :( :(

·
Mama's Little Joey
14,769 Posts
RIP and Godspeed, but Darwin gets victims everywhere.

Suzuki Ninja:confused :confused

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
zer0netgain said:

They say he appeared to be speeding, but I say :bs on that one....might just be trying to assign blame. He he was trying to pull into a driveway, why would he be speeding. Especially when you consider how hard working the kid was, odds are he was more sensible and responsible than others his age.
she was the one pulling into the driveway, not hiim. and you're making equally unfounded assumptions about him. he may have been responsible in his life but a nut on the road. we have no idea.

zer0netgain said:
Frankly, I think they're trying to pin the blame on the accident on the kid. Since he's dead, there's no way to prove that the woman he hit didn't decide to pull into a drive at the last minute WITHOUT signaling any warning. Yeah, he may have been following too close, but it sounds like classic "wasn't my fault" talk from the other driver.
if you can't stop in time for the car in front of you to stop suddenly and not hit them, then you're too close. if you're too close, it's your fault.

in any case, RIP to what sounds like a great kid. :(

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Happened one town south of me real close to a very popular area for going out on weekends. Actually to help clarify, the other driver was coming from the opposite direction and turned in front of the deceased. He was probably driving too fast for being in a neighborhood, but the cage driver turned in front of him.

Another member of this site went down not too long ago from the exact same situation. Fortunately he was not injured seriously. In a situation like this, even the most experienced riders on this site would go down some way or another. One second you have an open road, the next a car turns directly in front of you and your faced with equally dangerous escape paths.

RIP Kimy. It sucks to lose a productive member of society.

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
backnblckR1 said:
Happened one town south of me real close to a very popular area for going out on weekends. Actually to help clarify, the other driver was coming from the opposite direction and turned in front of the deceased. He was probably driving too fast for being in a neighborhood, but the cage driver turned in front of him.

if that's true, then there's very little if anything you can do to avoid it, depending on how far in front of you the car turns.

so the article is wrong, then? the car and bike weren't heading in the same direction? it says they were both going south on the road.

backnblckR1 said:
RIP Kimy. It sucks to lose a productive member of society.
+1

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
tdah said:
....so the article is wrong, then? the car and bike weren't heading in the same direction? it says they were both going south on the road....
Well, the reporter was too stupid (or lazy) to know that Suzuki doesn't sell Ninjas.

I feel the biker is being blamed here because I've seen it too many times. Insurance rates in South Florida aren't outrageous just for the sake of it. It's because of the crazy way a lot of people drive, and as sue happy as most people down there seem to be, the first thing a person's going to do in an accident is deny fault or shift the blame.

The kid went down and obviously was hurt before the cops arrived. I can see the driver saying she signaled and that the kid just "raced up" on her to cover her ass. The kid isn't there to testify on his behalf. There were no witnesses (or so it appears). Who's going to prove otherwise. If your actions resulted in someone being killed, would you really want to admit to them?

What's sad is that the kid being so young and a biker, the odds are nobody is going to really believe he didn't cause the accident and push for the truth. She was driving a luxury car. He was on a used crotch rocket. Who do you think will be believed in the end? Also, not to be racist, but the kid was a Hatian (read = BLACK). This is Palm Beach County, wealthy white woman vs. poor black kid. Who wins?

This in a nation where a senator murders a couple on a bike and gets away with it. :shake :(

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
backnblckR1 said:
then you know if you go a couple of blocks in any direction from downtown delray youre in crackville.

here is an additional article which seems to clear things up a bit. ANd some of you are assuming "elaine joseph" is a white woman.. most likely she is haitian, just like the rider. Ive never seen a white person ever living in this neighborhood. Its almost all haitian.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...le12feb12,0,4317597.story?coll=sfla-news-palm

Motorcyclist killed in collision identified

Posted February 12 2006

Police have identified Kimy Louissant, 19, as the man killed when his motorcycle was in collision with a Lexus in Delray Beach on Friday night.

Louissant was driving south in the 300 block of Southeast Third Avenue at about 8:25 p.m. when the driver of the Lexus, Elaine Joseph, slowed to turn into a driveway, police said. Joseph also was southbound.

Louissant was speeding and did not stop as Joseph, 48, attempted to turn, police said. Louissant died at the scene. Joseph was taken to Delray Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries, police said.

Anyone with additional information about the collision should call Investigator James Finley at 561-243-7832.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't straight-through traffic have right-of-way over turning traffic? :confused

Yeah, you can't rely on that when you're on a bike, but still, she was wrong to turn in front of him.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
zer0netgain said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't straight-through traffic have right-of-way over turning traffic? :confused

Yeah, you can't rely on that when you're on a bike, but still, she was wrong to turn in front of him.
if someone slows to turn into the driveway and you slam into the back of them... no, you dont have the right of way.. they do, theyre in front of you.

they were both traveling the same direction on the same street..:confused

·
Thanks for having us all these years, Rez. Best o
20,204 Posts
Stupidity takes another one. :shake :( Feel bad for his friends and family that are left behind.

On the other hand, I have to say I'm not suprised. I have yet to see a Haitian on the roads in South Florida that doesn't drive a car covered in dents, bondo, scratches, etc. Can't tell you how many times they've cut me off, swerved into me (my lane), etc. They can't drive for shit. How do I know? They all have the Haitian flag air freshener hanging from the mirror.

Call me a prick, I don't care.

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
RIP for the rider.:(

but that was the worst article I have ever read.

You know, I was 19 and on a sportbike once, and I would be willing to bet he was not doing the speed limit, although, even at the speed limit shit can happen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts