Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Moderator,
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried out the Gerbings G3 glove today. Works great. Nice and flexible, not too bulky like the original Gerbing glove. Heats up well and is nice and toasty. Not sure what the temp was this AM, maybe 25 or so. My hands were nice and warm and I could manipulate the controls easily.

This afternoon, I ditched my jacket liner as I was getting overheated. So I was wearing the gloves but not plugged in. Still kept my hands warm in town, even a bit too warm. My hands were sweating a bit. On the way home, after 30 minutes of highway speeds or so, I turned the grips on. The palm of the glove is thin enough that I could get some warmth from the grips. After an hour or so at highway speeds in 38deg temp, my fingertips were a bit cold. Not numb or anything, but cold. This was without them being on.

I think tomorrow morning is supposed to be mid to low 20's, I think my hands will be peachy with them turned on. Well worth the investment for anyone who is riding year round.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Todd, I assume you're using electrics only on your BMW?

Of all the guys I'd think could make good use of electrics - motor officers would be at the top of the pile. And yet I've never known of a department that issued or allowed such. Any idea why that is?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I am switching from Widder to Gerbings for next winter!

I want:
<ul>
<li>leg cover - Union Ridge Heated Pants - $229
<li>chest - Union Ridge Heated Jacket - $329
<li>hands - Gerbing Outer Wear Gloves - $139
<li>socks - Gerbing Heated Socks - $59
</ul>

Do some of the cheaper options work, i.e. vest vs. jacket. How about those mittens?

·
Moderator,
11,006 Posts
Jager said:
Todd, I assume you're using electrics only on your BMW?

Of all the guys I'd think could make good use of electrics - motor officers would be at the top of the pile. And yet I've never known of a department that issued or allowed such. Any idea why that is?
Uh... no, this is on the Police motor. And I was mistaken in an earlier post, he does have heated grips on the HD. Bastards.... they get issued Gerbings gear and the bike comes with heated grips. :p So, if a dept is not issuing it, then it's because they're cheap. As a matter of fact, Fauquier got rid of the 2 bikes they had. No motor officers in Fauquier anymore.

f4asg - Todd got the Union Ridge pants. He can give you a review of those this afternoon. I think he was wearing them when he left this morning. They looked like they're decent for protection (as any textile can be).

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Sxy Rdr said:
Uh... no, this is on the Police motor. And I was mistaken in an earlier post, he does have heated grips on the HD. Bastards.... they get issued Gerbings gear and the bike comes with heated grips. :p So, if a dept is not issuing it, then it's because they're cheap. As a matter of fact, Fauquier got rid of the 2 bikes they had. No motor officers in Fauquier anymore.

f4asg - Todd got the Union Ridge pants. He can give you a review of those this afternoon. I think he was wearing them when he left this morning. They looked like they're decent for protection (as any textile can be).
I was figuring that was him leaving around 530-545 this am. Pretty distinctive exhaust note ya know.

Did you mention yesterday that you used some that went under your pants?

·
Moderator,
11,006 Posts
Yeah, he left, hit the siren :)confused), came back a few mins later when he realized he'd left his radio sitting on the ironing board :laughing and then left again around 530.

Yep, I have the jacket liner and the pants liner. They fit under my Joe Rocket textiles. The jacket liner kinda fits under my Vanson leather jacket. The pants liner does not fit under the Vanson leather pants (obviously). I cannot wear the socks with regular socks in my boots. I have to either go without regular socks or get a pair of very thin dress socks.

·
Moderator,
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sxy Rdr said:
Yeah, he left, hit the siren :)confused),
That was your wake up call sweetheart. ;)

Actually, the highbeam switch is right next to the siren switch. :doh

The pants, gloves, jacket liner combo worked great. At least until I learned the hard way that someone previous to me had disregarded the great Bavarian physicist Georg Ohm and placed a 10amp fuse in a 15amp slot. Luckily, I was only 8miles or so from the office when the fuse blew. I had cranked up the gloves on the highway. My right hand (dunno why right only) got so hot I had to turn it down. That is pretty impressive since it was mid 20's or lower and I was zipping along at a good clip on the highway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts