Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for an active bike site and I think I found it. I used to own a '93 Ninja 600 a couple years ago, but had to sell. Was a bachelor with no money for a down payment when my car took a poop. I am married now, things are settling down for me and in May I will be buying again.

Looked at Harleys, thought the Sportster 1200s were a great deal, until I sat on them. I am 6'3'' and 220lbs, long legs, so my legs were in my throat for most of them. By the time I got to the larger bikes, I was out of my price range.

So, I will most likely end up with a Buell, hopefully a Lightning or Firebolt. Haven't sat on one or rode one yet, so I am crossing my fingers.

Anyone have any advice?

Wow, that was a long intro. You have so many forums, I wasn't sure where this would go anyway. If you know which place it is best placed, I will repost my question.

Thanks
Shea

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,282 Posts
Shea said:
Been looking for an active bike site and I think I found it. I used to own a '93 Ninja 600 a couple years ago, but had to sell. Was a bachelor with no money for a down payment when my car took a poop. I am married now, things are settling down for me and in May I will be buying again.

Looked at Harleys, thought the Sportster 1200s were a great deal, until I sat on them. I am 6'3'' and 220lbs, long legs, so my legs were in my throat for most of them. By the time I got to the larger bikes, I was out of my price range.

So, I will most likely end up with a Buell, hopefully a Lightning or Firebolt. Haven't sat on one or rode one yet, so I am crossing my fingers.

Anyone have any advice?

Wow, that was a long intro. You have so many forums, I wasn't sure where this would go anyway. If you know which place it is best placed, I will repost my question.

Thanks
Shea
I'd say that's a pretty good first post :D

:welcome

I wish I knew more about the Buell. :(

And I'd definitely say we're active :laughing

·
Rollin' & Trippin'
21,601 Posts
:hi Welcome to CF! Great first post, BTW. Does it have to be a Harley? Or are you just looking for any type of bike?

Since you seem to be having a problem with height, most cruisers have a shorter seat height that sports bikes ( I menetioned this since you mentioned the sportsters). I don't know much about the Buells but you can go to their website and look for the seat height on the models you're looking at.

Also, since you mentioned the sportster and having had a ninja, the rider position is different from cruisers to sportsbikes. You may be remembering or used to the sportbike position and may have a hard time finding a good fitting cruiser, if you choose to go that route. My hubby is about your height and has a long inseam (almost 36 inches). He started out on a V-Star 650 but didn't care for the way his legs seemed to poke out too. Now, his dad (who's his size) rides a sportster and a heritage and it doesn't bother him. My hubby rides an SV650 (v-twin sportsbike) now.

Most will suggest to go sit on several different bikes to find the one that you are the most comfortable on. That's what I suggestion as well. I wouldn't worry too much about cc's unless you're looking at something over 600-650, which anything more than that is too much for just street riding IMO.

I have the exact opposite problem as I'm only 5'1" with a 26" inseam. I ride an SV too, but have had to do some personal mods to make it easier to get my feet down. :laughing

Ask around for some suggestions on bikes. There's alot of guys about your size on here and can tell you how they fit their bikes.

Good luck on your search and don't forget to post a pic of your new ride when you get it. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so I ended up buying an XB12Ss Buell. I have had it for a couple weeks now. I wasn't going to buy until May, but ended up buying earlier due to all of the winter promos. Both the dealership and Harley were running promos, so it turned into a great oppertunity to buy.

The bike itself is quite small. I thought I would have trouble with it, but ride height and seat position make easy to ride, even with my height and weight. I know I may look too big for it, but it doesn't feel like I am too big for it.

The bike has alot of low end grunt. Even keeping it below 3500RPMs for the break in isn't bad, because it offers plenty of torque to work with. I have had it above 3500 once just to get a taste and it didn't hesitate to make the front tire light. Plenty of hp and torque for me.

My one gripe is the exhaust. Factory outlet shoots it right into your foot/ankle. It makes my leg smell bad after a ride...well, my wife thinks it smells bad, I think it smells like heaven. The other thing is, it's really quiet...too quiet. The factory muffler has a valve in it that is actuated by the ECM and opens or closes depending on RPMs and throttle position. In order to help avoid the warranty, I am having KD fabrications do my muffler. Some of you might know him, he makes Drummer mufflers. He changes the outlets to out further back and modifies in the inside for better torque. So, it will turn out sounding louder and better without all the money spent on after market stuff and piece of mind for the warranty issue.

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,282 Posts
Shea said:
my wife thinks it smells bad, I think it smells like heaven.
tell her that applies to other things too :citadel

congrats on the new ride! Good luck with it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts