Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally got enough money saved to get my handgun, I also got the paperwork for my CHL. So I'm looking around the 400-500 range, medium framed, in a .40 or .45. I might also be able to pick up my Dad's S&W .40 for $400...

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
11,198 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would look at Glock, HK, and I think CZ are great handguns. The CZ is one of my favorites (I have shot just about every maker and own quit a few), it is inexpensive, accurate, concealable, and reliable. I would also stick with a 9mm, but that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Glock 23. Once again picked as the #1 medium gun for general and concealed carry. .40. I happen to carry that in a 23C....ported, and love it. the absolue best handgun I have owned, used for work and play.

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
oh crap, the USP Tactical is not a good concealable gun...
whoopsie...
lets see...
Mebbe just a plain jane Colt 1911...
really thin, so easy to conceal...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Glocks are great weapons,they will fire everytime. I for one though will not ever own one. They do not feel comfortable in my hand, the grip angle just dosen't feel right. Because of this reason I will never own one.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really like the Colt 1911 Defender....anyone know how much that is?

·
Insomniac
891 Posts
yes, glocks are great because you can do virtually anything to them and they will still fire. however, i had a chance to shoot a friends glock 17 (i think), and to me the beretta felt a lot better. plus, safety's are a Good Thing(tm). for all the good things i heard about them, frankly i wasnt impressed.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Nothing wrong with a good basic Colt Commander. I really enjoyed shooting my fathers Sig Saur P220, but it's a full sized gun.

·
Registered
454 Posts
1911's are great guns. I would not carry one. I think they are a little to finiky. They need to be cleaned more and I think have more of tendancy to malfunction. I own 4 1911's so it is not that I don't love them but I would stick to carring one of the newer service weapons.

·
Registered
22 Posts
One big thing to keep in mind is your hand size too. A couple of my rec's would be the USP 9 & 40, the Glock 17 and 19 (or Glock 20 if you want a 10mm), and also the new Springfield Armory XD pistol. Many of the ranges around here have rental guns so you can also really get an idea of how it feel and how it shoots.

For me, the Glock 17 is the most comfortable and, for me, the most accurate of the above list of guns.

·
Moderator,
3,129 Posts
How about a compact HK USP 9mm.. I personally like that one..

Maybe a Sig P229 with the interchangable barrels, but that's not as compact..

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
StrickSVS said:
1911's are great guns. I would not carry one. I think they are a little to finiky. They need to be cleaned more and I think have more of tendancy to malfunction. I own 4 1911's so it is not that I don't love them but I would stick to carring one of the newer service weapons.

really man?
everyone I know is always talking about how they can beat people over the head with them, and toss them through mud puddles and they will still work...

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'm gonna say USP 9

You can get more rounds on target quicker with a 9mm than you can with a .40, or .45 especially. Plus the ammo is cheaper so you can go fuckin' ape shit at the range.:twoguns

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
PsychoMedic said:
I really like the Colt 1911 Defender....anyone know how much that is?
I am an avid handgun collector and shootist. If you like the Colt 1911 style single action (like the defender) and are on a bit of a budget, you couldn't do any better than a Kimber Ultra Carry.... Its about the same price as the Colt and MUCH better built. I own 4 Kimber .45's and I love every one of them. I probably have 25-35 top name pistols and they are easily my faves (well, except for my Wilson Combats, but they are big bucks). Kimber Ultra Carry, check them out....

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
cappy said:
I'm gonna say USP 9

You can get more rounds on target quicker with a 9mm than you can with a .40, or .45 especially. Plus the ammo is cheaper so you can go fuckin' ape shit at the range.:twoguns

Eh, he wants a .40 or .45....
have you seen the studies done on penetration through winter coats win a 9mm?
its not good...
if I shoot something I want it to fall down on the first hit...
with a 9 its not guaranteed....
its probable, but not guaranteed...
plus, there is a chance 9mm rounds can go through targets, is there not?
not good if you ask me...

I may be wrong about the 9mm going through a person, I'm far from a gun expert...

1 - 20 of 88 Posts