Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 40" give or take acouple. I'm not looking for HDTV cause I'll mainly be using DVD and videogames. Any opinions are appreciated. Price range is about $1000-$1600

·
Medium Pimpin
1,873 Posts
Given the title of the post, I'm guessing he wants a widescreen.

You should be able to easily find a 40" widescreen HDTV (more likely a 51 or so) in the price range you're looking. I got my 65" for 2260 after everything was done.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have one like this and love it.

$1700ish.
http://www.crazyg.com/hitachi/51uwx20b.htm

Or you could it's little brother for $1500ish.
http://store.yahoo.com/cyberdiscountwarehouse-buys/46f500.html

Seems like you are so close to the price for a real hdtv that I would just go ahead and get one that you'll be happy with for a long time. With component input, dvi (great for hooking your computer up at high res), and wide screen you'll happy. Xbox, looks great at 1080i or even at 480p and I'm sure the next gen consoles will have even more support for high def stuff.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
hitachi is the way to go.. it may cost you a couple more bucks but the reliability is unsurpassed atleast according to the reviews.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was told by my buddy who is very into hifi that HDTV is really only for television(you still have to have the right gear and channels). DVD with the right connectors will make it digital with or without HDTV. That's why I don't want it unless it comes at a good deal.

As to you Bowe I will be paying some upfront and no-interest finance the rest. Unless $800 is good enough;)

·
Medium Pimpin
1,873 Posts
erknjerk said:
I was told by my buddy who is very into hifi that HDTV is really only for television(you still have to have the right gear and channels). DVD with the right connectors will make it digital with or without HDTV. That's why I don't want it unless it comes at a good deal.

As to you Bowe I will be paying some upfront and no-interest finance the rest. Unless $800 is good enough;)
Your buddy may be really into "hi-fi", but he doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. Either that or he's not properly giving you the information you need to make an informed decision.

The ONLY way to get a pure digital path is to have a source with a DVI output connected to a DVI input on the TV. Anything else will be analog. Most new HD sets will have one DVI input. I only know of two DVD players that have DVI outputs.

While I couldn't say for sure, I'm willing to bet that a TV that is widescreen with a DVI input and is not HD capable, doesn't exist. If one did exist, then yes, theoretically you could put together a system that is digital end to end (with DVD at least), but I don't think such a TV exists.

Given that you've thrown out widescreen as the aspect ratio, you'll be hard pressed to find one that isn't HD capable. I've never seen one. If you're mainly using the TV for DVD and video games (Xbox especially) you'll be much happier with an HD capable TV. Or at the very least an EDTV (Enhanced Definition, usually capable of at least 480p). Though again, >40" and widescreen... good luck finding one that isn't HD.

Again, given your price range, you should easily be able to find a good quality HDTV in the 45-51" range. Just go out to the stores, take a look at everything. Write down which models you liked the looks of. Do a little homework and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for the info. I'll be looking on Tuesday.

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
Personally I would only consider Mitsubishi and Sony for televisions.

For the price range you are at, Sony makes a 34" direct view widescreen that I would love to have if my living room wasn't so big.
http://www.tweeter.com/product/inde...e=2&pageBucket=0&sublevel=2&parentPage=family

Mitsubishi makes awesome RP's... I'm sure you can get into one in your price range.

http://www.tweeter.com/product/inde....1124354.1124426&sublevel=2&parentPage=family
http://www.tweeter.com/product/inde....1124354.1124426&sublevel=2&parentPage=family

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
NariesRC said:
hitachi is the way to go.. it may cost you a couple more bucks but the reliability is unsurpassed atleast according to the reviews.
+1

I've got a 53" Hitachi for almost 3 years now and no problems.

I'd say get the biggest/best TV you can afford, it will be worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
Mitsubishi and Hitachi are the best. Period. I have a 55" Mitsubishi that is a great TV. All the talk about digital DVD is wishy washy...As long as you get a progressive scan DVD player and your TV can play 480p (which they all can) then your picture will look great. Get a tv with at least 4 component inputs.

·
Has a Big BelowKnee
2,817 Posts
I would HIGHLY recommend the one I just got, the Sony KV34XBR910, but it's out of your price range. For your price range, you may want to take a look at the Toshiba Cinema Series 34HFX83 -- you can get it for ~$1600 at Video Only.

Hey Faster954, I'm thinking of picking up the Bravo or the Samsung DVD player :) Leaning towards the Bravo since you can get it for under $200 :)

·
Has a Big BelowKnee
2,817 Posts
briF4i said:
Loewe by far the best pic I have seen on a tv but they are spendy. My step dad bought one and wow is it nice. They can be found at magnolia hi fi

Loewe
Yes, Loewe offers some damn sweet monitors!

You should check out the Sony KV34XBR910.

·
Medium Pimpin
1,873 Posts
JawKnee said:
I would HIGHLY recommend the one I just got, the Sony KV34XBR910, but it's out of your price range. For your price range, you may want to take a look at the Toshiba Cinema Series 34HFX83 -- you can get it for ~$1600 at Video Only.

Hey Faster954, I'm thinking of picking up the Bravo or the Samsung DVD player :) Leaning towards the Bravo since you can get it for under $200 :)
If you get it, let me know how you like it. I'm still debating on whether or not to drop the money on one. I read a review on the Samsung (Home Theater or Sound and Vision, can't remember which one) and they said that while it does technically give you better detail, that the added detail is sometimes distracting. For pure digital transfers (Monsters Inc, Toy Story etc) it was definitely better. For video sources... it could go either way depending on your preference. I haven't seen/heard anything about the Bravo other than that it exists.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Faster954 said:
Given the title of the post, I'm guessing he wants a widescreen.

You should be able to easily find a 40" widescreen HDTV (more likely a 51 or so) in the price range you're looking. I got my 65" for 2260 after everything was done.

it would help if i read the title huh!! i am such a dork sometimes!!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just sometimes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.