Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had to replace head light buld 3 times over the past 4 months because the high beam filament keeps burning out. Each time I replace it I make sure to use another manufacturers bulb, and I make sure not to touch the glass portion of the bulb.

I heard someone mention that if there is play in the head light assembly, it may cause vibration which would cause the bulb to 'burn out' prematurley. Anybody encounter this problem, possibly electrical problem?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
adawg said:
I've had to replace head light buld 3 times over the past 4 months because the high beam filament keeps burning out. Each time I replace it I make sure to use another manufacturers bulb, and I make sure not to touch the glass portion of the bulb.

I heard someone mention that if there is play in the head light assembly, it may cause vibration which would cause the bulb to 'burn out' prematurley. Anybody encounter this problem, possibly electrical problem?
Try splicing an inline fuse with a lesser amp fuse into the line so the bulb isnt getting as much wattage and youll see it wont burn out anymore. (you can also splice in a smaller gauge wire into the line that will be about the same)

·
Wannabe Poser
4,235 Posts
When does it burn out? Immediately when you turn the key on, or while you're riding?

Vibrations would cause a problem, but it should damage your low beams as well, so I would think it's electrical.

Changing the fuse won't limit the current going to the bulb (unless the fuse blows). It could save you from buying new bulbs, but you'll still be out of a light.

·
Wannabe Poser
4,235 Posts
Hi Adam - same here! Lucky this site is up, cuz I was actually getting productive at work!!! :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply's fellas!!

I ride mostly during the day time, and during day time, I always ride with my high beam on. The high beam does not burn out when the key is turned, but rather it burns out sometime during mid-ride. Each time I noticed it was burned out was after I had been riding for a while, I then will switch to low beam till I can get another bulb. This is now the 3rd or 4th bulb I'm having to replace so it's starting to get frustrating, each one seems to last me about 3-4 weeks of riding time. Funny thing is this problem didn't start till this riding season, and I've owned the bike for a few seasons now.

·
Holier Than Thou
8,706 Posts
Seems like the same info espresso gave me about a headlight problem with a nighthawk 750 would apply here. If the regulator goes there could be too much power going to the headlight and that would burn it out.

·
Registered
861 Posts
headlight

Yeah, and before you try the smaller wire trick be sure and check your fire/theft coverage. Well O.K. , just fire:shake

·
Super Moderator
23,498 Posts
Most likely the regulator as was stated. But you forgot to say if you are using stock bulbs or the high wattage bulbs. If its stock bulbs, probably the regulator. If its aftermarket, might be getting too hot and the vibrations can dislodge the filaments.

·
Brought to you by the letter 1
6,239 Posts
instead of splicing wires, couldnt he just bump down lets say from a 20 or a 15 amp fuse to the next size down? that way if the fuse pops before the light he will know it an electrical problem and only be out the cost of a fuse, and if it isnt the fuse he knows where to start working?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts