Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got rear ended friday by a dude in an SUV, totally his falt (he says so:doublefli). I hit the street, I think I jumped off just as he hit me, I saw him comming, then heard his wheels lock up. My bike didn't go down till it rolled all the way into the long weeds in the ditch so thats fine. But where he hit me, the rear wheel is dented, right pipe is gone, right rear set broke, plastic cracked. It looks pretty straight, though (I'm trying to figure out how to determine this, see fixit fourm).

Of course the dude has no insurance, no license, the plates didn't belong to his car, and a warrant. He goes to jail.

Anyway I don't carry full coverage, (ouch) how the hell am I going to get money out of this dude? Anyone ever do small claims court? I don't think he has much, so it's gonna be like trying to squeeze water of a rock.

Why couldn't it have been a rich dude so I could get a new bike, I'm pretty sure it could be totalled, need to get estimate for documentation. I'm hoping I can get it back running for the cost of a new wheel/tire,rear set. But I want $ for everything that got damage: Tow, Rear Wheel/Tire, Pipe, Rearsets, passanger pegs, rear plastic, sub frame, kick stand, and others, ok now I'm ranting
Thanks for listening. Newton

·
Master Debater
3,090 Posts
Sorry about your bike. Hope your not injured.
The car insurance will cover all your damages, that is if its insured even though the original car owner wasnt the person driving at the time. Just call your ins, company and they will straighten everything out that is if in fact it is his fault if its yours i wouldn't call.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
was the suv stolen
Of course the dude has no insurance, no license, the plates didn't belong to his car, and a warrant. He goes to jail.
how stupid can people be?

·
CF's Official Bookie and Trivia God
9,070 Posts
The only good thing about California...everyonee has to have insurance to reg their car, if they don't have insurance when they are stoped or in an accident it's fines and even jail time..and this is all additional to whatever they did to get pulled over....
I say sue his ass, your insurance company should be able to handle "uninsured motorists" then you can take his ass to court

Peace Out

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
small claims court, or they might go ahead and press criminal charges.

but good luck. the kid who stole my car in 8/01 was finally told to pay me in 6/02 and he paid his first $50 payment in 9/02 but of course, he has to pay back court costs first :rolleyes

·
9,070 Posts
zlicius said:

but good luck. the kid who stole my car in 8/01 was finally told to pay me in 6/02 and he paid his first $50 payment in 9/02 but of course, he has to pay back court costs first :rolleyes
Don't you just hate that, takes forever
I think you should go to that place that will pay you full (well almost they take like 5-10%) for the money you're supposed to collect if you want/need it right now

Peace Out

·
Registered
726 Posts
Sorry man but your bike is totalled. Get an estimate from a bike shop saying that it is totalled(it is). Then sue him for the value of the bike. It will take a long time but it's all you can do.:(

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
MAAH STUD said:
Don't you just hate that, takes forever
I think you should go to that place that will pay you full (well almost they take like 5-10%) for the money you're supposed to collect if you want/need it right now

Peace Out
isn't that for business type transactions? (not for theft by juvi cases?)

·
Registered
726 Posts
There was no theft(except maybe the plates?) or juveniles in this case and yes that type of service your talking about does include court settlements.

*EDIT* Oh in Z's case, theft...juvi, yeah I get it now.

·
9,070 Posts
There arew actually a few places that do it these days, you know law settlements, lotto winnings...smart business if you ask me, as long as you get the customers and have some good collection men
But I am shure one of them will take yours Z
Wish I could give some names, but none come to mind right now

Peace Out

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
MAAH STUD said:
There arew actually a few places that do it these days, you know law settlements, lotto winnings...smart business if you ask me, as long as you get the customers and have some good collection men
But I am shure one of them will take yours Z
Wish I could give some names, but none come to mind right now

Peace Out
thanks so much for the idea, i'd never thought of that. i just want to get my car fixed... :(

dude, I hope that asshole who hits you PAYS BIG cause i hate people like that. :mad

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
zlicius said:

Why don't I find that funny.

Your insurance will cover the damages IF you have full coverage. I think underinsured or non-insured motorist coverage only covers medical, but check your policy.

Try to deal with your insurance only. Don't sue the guy if your insurance will pay. Its not worth your hassle.

Z..didn't your insurance cover the stolen car?

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
101ZX9rdude said:
Z..didn't your insurance cover the stolen car?
it would have if it would have been paid up. :chainsaw

I had had hernia surgery a little over a month before and only budgeted to be out of work for a few days. I went about a week and a half over that and didn't have the money to pay for something. Had to pay for food/daycare/bills so ins was the last one, and who woulda thunk... :rolleyes

I hate those little bastards that did that to me. I'm STILL paying for that f/n car (only 4 more payments to go! :rolleyes)

OH, but I got a court-ordered letter from one of them. "i'm so sorry i stole your car and it was damaged while I had it". right, I feel so much better.

See why I think all theives and the like should DIE slowly and painfully? I still am paying for something that I don't have and I STILL am paranoid about walking out and my shit being gone... Screwed me up (more) for good... ugh. I feel betternow.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Damn I hate low life scum fucking thieves. You work hard, and buy things with that hard earned money, and then some ASSHOLE steals it (probably while you're at work!).

I think thieves should be publicly have the shit beaten out of them. Who's with me? Think we can get a law passed on it?

~Nist

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Oops. There I go bastardizing.

Newton, sorry about your bike and I hope everything works out.

~Nist

·
Registered
454 Posts
When you think about it...you can sue the guy, but realistically you'll probably never get paid. You can't collect $$ from a dude who doesn't work, is on welfare, already owes $50 g's to various places, etc. However, if you want...file a claim in small claims court, get a judgement in your favor, and then file papers to garnish his wages for the next 30 years :D

That is why you get uninsured motorists! Even if you only carry liability, UM is probably pretty cheap and you should look into it.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Do you have uninsured motorist? That's one of those things that you SHOULD ALWAYS have! If you've got uninsured, then you're ok either way. If not, then you won't be seeing any money any time soon.

·
EGYPT
1,987 Posts
shit

that dude that hit you needs to come up with a solution real quick, he's lucky you didn't call the popo on his bitch ass! i'm just wondering if you filed a claim with your insurance, if that would affect your insurance later on and make it go up, evn though it wasn't yoru fault!:redcreep ..

that fuck that hit you needs to get wacked!:ar15 , just call uncle pussy and pauly walnuts and thy'll take care of that fugazi!:ar15

1 - 18 of 18 Posts