Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be performing ths act all the way to miami tomorrow. I figure if i have the 'intent' to reg the bike that day I'll be straight :|
I'll be pimpin the dcu's too cause the mayor or some shit wants to welcome us back.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I don't know about Florida, but AZ DOT has a website that lets you print out a temporary tag that's good for 3 days, and only legal to get the vehicle to the DMV, or a repair shop, but would probably prevent too much notice from the po-po. Only costs $1.

Otherwise, should just be a "fixit" ticket, unless a cop starts assuming it's an indication of a stolen bike...

Then again, it may also carry a hefty fine. Call the DMV and find out. :redflip

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Yeah, it depends on the state, and there is usually a quick-and=-dirty solution. See what you can do to avoid a possibly expensive ticket.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
experience?
Ill put a little sign on my back that say "tag BEING applied for"

·
Registered
962 Posts
in FL dealers issue temp tags. there are no "applied for" tags. If you are going to register the vehicle in the state, a dealer needs to issue a temp or you have to go to the DMV first.

·
Moderator,
8,601 Posts
WTF is it with folks running around in BDU/DCU/ACU's? It is a fucking utility uniform and I see guys showing up to court in them. When I was active, you did not go off post in them unless you were heading home. You could get away with popping into the grocery store or a fast food joint, but that was it.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I say this again. "I'm meeting with the Mayor tomorrow for some welcome back thingy".
If I had it my way I'd show up wearing one of my many t shirt hell shirts, some torn jeans and a 7 day shadow. Unfortunitly for me this isn't B.K and he want's us in DCU's. Go figure.

·
At BANNED Camp
16,067 Posts
Oh Crap! I just remembered the tag on my bike expired...in Dec 2004. I ride it everyday to work!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Best to ride without tags then being stopped with tags that are not registered or belong to the vehicle [eg motocycle].

Get a piece of cardboard and hand it on the rear of the bike. Write the word ..."temporary BUT insured."

My plate fell off for two days before anyone around here even noticed.

:confused

Misuse of plates is a no - no.

But driving a vehicle that is insured and g:confused being honest about it ...without a plate on the back is a fix-it ticket.

Desmo

·
Rollin' & Trippin'
21,601 Posts
Speed_Addiction said:
Oh Crap! I just remembered the tag on my bike expired...in Dec 2004. I ride it everyday to work!
:eek :lmao

I checked mine and they're ok, but my inspection sticker is out. When I was talking to another rider about that the other day, he said a friend of his is a cop and they don't usually check for it. Knowing my luck, they'd stop me for going too slow, then want all my papers. See my insp. sticker's out and impound the bike. :rolleyes Something else I need to take care of. :shake

In La. some people place "In-Transit" homemade tags on when they're moving them from one place to another. Well, that's cars. I don't know if it would work for a bike. :shrug

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
One time I rode my bike out to a work event in the suburbs of Philly (maybe 20-30 mins each way). As I approached the event, which was in a residential neighborhood, I noticed a police car following me from a decent distance back. He made a few turns with me, so I was sure he was kinda tailing me but not too closely.

Really, I didn't think anything of it, but being the paranoid anti-government libertarian that I am, I pulled a few quick turns and lost the cop car.

When I got back to my place, I noticed that thieves had stolen the license plate off my bike. :rant It was parked on the street and license plate theft was a pretty common thing that summer. You would see cars with little squares cut out of the plates where some thief took a pair of tin snips and got the registration sticker.

So yeah, the cops will notice if you're not properly tagged. :(

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
HOW illegal? It's either legal or it's not. Since the law requires a tag, running without=illegal. :laughing

Or did you mean to ask, "How big is the fine for doing this thing that I already know is illegal?" :redflip

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
i would just ride without it, and if you get pulled over, be like sh1t it fell off! ... if you get pulled over.

·
Mad Hawk
5,313 Posts
Write a note with the days date and state what you are doing....including that you are on your way to get your tags.

Any reasonable officer will cut you a break if you explain the other part of your day as well

·
Registered
476 Posts
N2O Junkie said:
i would just ride without it, and if you get pulled over, be like sh1t it fell off! ... if you get pulled over.
a simple check of the VIN will show the vehicle is not registered in any state..

worst case scenario... he goes to jail on a 2nd degree misdemeanor for driving an unregistered motor vehicle on a public road.. bike gets impounded.. he has to pay all fees associated with towing/storage and court costs, fines, registration, etc

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
Lou Czar said:
Any reasonable officer will cut you a break if you explain the other part of your day as well
Maybe so. Maybe not.

Last week the g/f and I parked at a meter on a Saturday to grab lunch. When we came back a meter maid was inspecting her plate. We asked what was wrong and he clued us into her expired registration. She had recently moved so no renewal had arrived. He was cool and gave us the option of leaving so he didn't have to write a ticket. On the way home we got pulled over by a different cop. We explained that we were made aware of the expired plate just 20 minutes ago and would take care of it on Monday. $100 ticket later, we were on our way. :beat

·
Registered
269 Posts
Have I missed something? How hard is it to keep a vehicle properly registered, insured, and inspected? Two cars, a truck and two motorcycles at home, and I manage without letting anything expire. You can take care of most things online or by mail well in advance. I wouldn't ride through Virginia without a plate or unregistered bike. If it's unregistered, it gets siezed here and auctioned off if the Commonwealth Attorney wants it.

Goodluck without the tag.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts