Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Moderator,
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got two laptops running off a wirless network. Suddenly, one quit working. It will connect to the network and fast. However, the internet is not working.

I ran a program on the Toshiba that came with it and it says that the IP isn't being assigned. How would I go about fixing this?

·
Crazy like a fox...
5,755 Posts
Try assigning it an IP. (duh... sorry). I don't know too much about it (ok, so I'm talking out my ass here), but go into the network connection details and get the IP/DHCP/DNS servers from the one that's working. Then ont he one that's not working, instead of "obtain IP automatically" type all those numbers in exactly, but try one down for the last number. As in: (working IP:) xxx.xxx.xx.200 (and non-working IP:) xxx.xxx.xx.199. Fixed mine right away. If it doesn't work, I'm no help. Sorry! :)

·
Moderator,
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vendetta said:
If it's Toshiba, that's pretty standard. :laughing

Is it looking for a DHCP server?
I couldn't tell you. I just know that when I turn the laptop on it connects almost immediatly. It just won't connect to the internet.

I ran freeconfig and it says that the IP address isn't being assigned.

·
Crazy like a fox...
5,755 Posts
WhiteyFoo said:
or from a dos prompt:
ipconfig /release
then
ipgonfig /renew
sorry to correct (I know it's a typo, but...) it's ipconfig /renew (not ipgonfig)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
HMan said:
What exactly is it this will do? Auto assign a new IP?
If it can find a DHCP server, it'll release the IP address and attempt to get a new one from said server. If it can't find a DHCP server though it won't do anything. Good place to start though.

·
Moderator,
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gonna try before going to work. If not, I'll see if anyone else offers any suggestions.

Anyway to know for sure if this is the problem? Could it be anything else?

I can say my other laptop works fine and my desktop which is attached through a network cable is working great too.

·
Registered
240 Posts
run from cmd prompt. Ipconfig /all --see if there is an IP? If there is and its 127.0.0.1. Then give it a new ip(manually). If you do not have a dhcp server running, and you would know if you did, then renew will do nothing. If it has an Ip try to ping it from the other box. then do the opposite. If all of this works then your two pc's are networked fine. I would probably then try to see if you have any routing issues. Check the arp table and see if the problem box is listed correctly there. You could also possibly enable Netbois, name all of these pc's put them all in a workgroup and fix the whole thing (possibly).

I may be getting ahead of all of this. ??? What OS is on each of them? And do you have any routers, switches? Are any servers(ie. NT,2000, 2003,linux)? How is your wireless\network set up?

PM me if you want, I will try to help.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Sounds like it could possibly be getting an IP address via dhcp or static addressing, but then fails while trying to bind the new address from the stack to the interface. Read: possible NIC driver or resource conflict issue ? Check your device manager and see if the NIC is showing up, and whether it's in conflict with another device using the same resources. Also have a look at your event viewer for clues. Flip through cmos and make sure there aren't any goofy peripherals turned on that you don't need.... again in the spirit of resource conflicts. I'm assuming your talking Windows here. Probably way off base but snaps already went over the IP configuration. HTH

·
Registered
295 Posts

I have a feeling that if he was asking what "ipconfig" was he's not going to know what half of the terms you guys are throwing around in your answers...(I do, but I just don't know how helpful some of the answers will be without some lengthy discussions of what routing/arp/etc. are...)

Finding out what OS initially might be good, and if it has any service packs installed... It sounds like a driver got phuxed up...but again, that's only my opinion from the short number of descriptions in this thread... I'm sure with the brainpower here at CF this will be fixed shortly! :)

Omzig10

·
Moderator,
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, in the spirit of the pioneers... I said "fuck it" and started doing all kinds of shit. Turns out, best I can tell, it had something to do with the "MAC bridge". :shrug

Gots me. Its working but I could not tell you how I fixed it.

Thanks for the help guys. CF is fantastic for people's attempt to help even if it takes up some of their time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts