Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing som work at my church when a I ran into two members in the parking lot. They instantly told me they prayed for me this weekend and that I should stop riding.

It seem that a member of our church died in a motorcycle crash. They went on to tell me I should stop riding. I need to give it up. I have a family and they need me.

The brother that died had a nine month old baby, etc. etc. I hurt that someone died, but I love riding. God has not released me from riding.

I get madd when people do this. What about you?:mad: :redcreep

·
Registered
869 Posts
Say " Oh ye of little faith do you not know the Lord is in control of my life and knows when and how it will end. I should not worry about riding or living tomorrow... :angel1 Mat 6:27. Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life ? Mat 6:34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Then... 1 Cor 9:20. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

So! I feel I am also called by God to reach the people who ride motorcycles. To acomplish this I must ride a motorcycle to win them over to Christ Jesus... :draggin

Can I hear an Amen? :cool::laughing

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Amen!

I usually bring in a dose or reality and say something like...
"Well ya know...a LOT of people die from riding in cars too...and a LOT of people drown, so I'd better stay away from WATER...and a LOT of people choke..so I'd better not every eat again.. Yadda yadda... (of course I would say this schpiel if someone they knew were just lost in a riding accident..but in other cases I would.)

then I say that you can't live life looking over your shoulder afraid something is going to happen to injure you or kill you. You've gotta "grab life by the horns", as the new Dodge ad puts it'.

I tell them that my Eternity will be spent with Jesus, and God has blessed me with the chance to ride while I'm on Eath..and ride a lot...and I is what I will do despite the earthly risk.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have to agree with Brian. There are so many ways that I could die or so many things that could cause me to die that I can't be concerned about all of them. If any of us were to give up things that may cause us to die, we would never do anything.

I figure when it is my time to go home to be with the Lord, I'm going home. I might be on my bike, in my car, walking down the street or anywhere else. Time and place will not matter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I tell them to shut up and mind their own business!:hail JESUS!

I`M JUST KIDDING! except for the HAIL JESUS part.:D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the goat said:
I tell them to shut up and mind their own business!:hail JESUS!

I`M JUST KIDDING! except for the HAIL JESUS part.:D
:biggrin :biggrin :bigha :rofl Goat you too funny bro.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Oh man I had to ask the Lord for forgiveness the other day when a member of my church asked my wife why she lets me ride on that dangerous bike while I was away on a long road trip with my buddy. He had the nerve to tell her about all these people that he knew or heard got killed or injured. I let him have a few choice words of what I thought of him when I got back! :mad: If at any point I feel that the Lord doesn't want me on a bike I will drop it like a bad habbit, but untill that day...:p

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't know, Bill - that's a tough one, as there are so many variables involved. I guess, for me, it comes down to weighing the source when gauging my response.
If someone was to tell me that someone close to them, or even one that they knew of, died or was hurt in a motorcycle wreck, I generally tend to lean more towards acknowledging their grief - that is where I feel I can better serve the Lord in this situation. That they are concerned about my welfare in general is something for which I am thankful. Granted, this is multiplied by their personal (in one form or another) loss, but the fact that they make the effort to do good is a wonderful thing. This sentiment, too, extends to those who don't know what it's like to ride, those who only know the horrific stories taught them.
However, if it is someone who has nothing better to do than to tell someone else their business, then I'll generally say something along the lines of, "I ain't scared; that's what this is for (while tapping on my helmet)." The looks I've received as a result are too funny.
Again, weighing the situation, these type of questions are yet another way to spread the word of God's love.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I don't have a bike to ride, but a line I read in a book recently has struck me as poignant...

"Your life is your own. Rise up and live it."

That's all I'd say.

·
Registered
966 Posts
When I have these encounters I try to laugh it off then have a 1/2 way sensable conversation with them about motorcycles and hopefully change their outlook on them a little.
Most of the time when we are through discussing it their ideas have not changed about motorcycles but their view of motorcyclist are a little better!:D
Good Thread!

·
Moderator,
14,196 Posts
This is a great post! My thought is rather simple, life is too short, enjoy it! Yeah Brother Bill, you could die on a motorcycle, but we have no clue when or how we'll meet our maker someday. We just have to be ready whenever it happens and if its on a bike, hey, you died what you loved doing. Don't be intimidated by what others say. There are lots of people out there who think they know more than we do. Hey, if you're happy with the way life is going for you, savor the happiness and keep on heading forward til God's plan takes total effect! We'll know true happiness then! ;)

·
EGYPT
1,987 Posts
i hear ya

it is a little upsetting, when i bought my bike all my friends said don't do it your gonna kill yourself~~~ and everytime i talk to someone it seems like they tell me how they know someone who got killed or injured on a bike, i just tell them that i am carefula nd wear full gear and that i understand how dangerous it is.... but now i'm almost convinced that i'm gonna crash sooner or later, which realy sucks, i hope i never do......:mad

·
Super Moderator
23,498 Posts
Bill, just tell them you'll stop riding your bike when they stop driving their car. Fair trade.:D

BTW I know more people that died in CAR accidents than bike accidents.

BTW I'm taking over.

:hail to me.:jester

·
Registered
869 Posts
Re: i hear ya

RUFF_RYDA307 said:
but now i'm almost convinced that i'm gonna crash sooner or later, which realy sucks, i hope i never do......:mad
Ruff,
Get that idea out of your head... I was told I would maim or kill myself when I decided to road race in 1994. My racing attitude was, lets be careful and learn to go fast before you try to race anyone. Just because I am in a race does not mean I have to race someone else. Your thinking Huh! Well what's the point of racing then? ... Well the point is to have fun, going fast and learning to go faster in a controlled environment and to race yourself by working your lap times down and going just a little bit faster each time out.

NEVER riding at over 80% leaving that 20% margin for mistakes and time to think about what you are doing and what the bike is doing. Unless your going for big bucks that extra % is not worth it if you fall. Crashing sucks and it is not cheap to repair a bike after it hits the ground at 90 mph or faster. I know because guys who raced on my team did it often.

Now for the word of encouragement for you Ruff... I raced from 94 to 98 I set 4 land speed records in 1996 and even won the Lt. Wt. Super bike Championship in 1997 and in all those years I never crashed or dropped my bike, in fact the paint job I did on it in 1994 is still the same one on it today and it has 28,000 plus miles on it now. So, the crashing is all up to you and the grace of God.

NEVER ride above your limits and ALWAYS ride with a margin of 30 to 40% on the street and you should be just fine... Bottom line is what ever you do you are in God's hands and that is a good place to be... ;)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Honestly it is quite sickening hearing the same speech, so I cut them off right at the "I know someone who"... and just say "you know someone who has died riding a motorcycle and so do I." I guess you guys know I do not take any crap from people and I am just upfront with them and their opinion, on how I am going to die on that there ninja thing, is just not interesting to me. I do not know how many guys have done a get off this summer, in this area, but I think I have heard of only 2 deaths and both seem to be rider error. I will take the chance for something I love, if I go, bury me with my CSBA patch sewn on. (take the made in Taiwan sticker off the back though)

More- you da man, I have to get out there this coming summer and check out that stash of bikes. How far from San Andres(sp?) are you? Or El Segundo?(might go there for a tech class)

·
Registered
869 Posts
UglyAngelX said:
I have to get out there this coming summer and check out that stash of bikes. How far from San Andres(sp?) are you? Or El Segundo?(might go there for a tech class)
El Smellgundo is on the south side of LAX Playla Del rey is on the north side of LAX... It is about 1 mile away... I might be able to get you into our shop... lol It is not open to the public though we are a design center and not to many people get to see anything in there...
;)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts