Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, although I was to have started this with everyone else last September, I was slow on the uptake, and then when my niece passed in October, the last thing on my mind was working out.

Now I find myself engaged to be married to a hot young guy, who is in pretty much perfect shape and eats everything under the sun, in large amounts. Before meeting me he was at the gym 4 to 5 days a week, at least, but now that we are a "we" we're struggling to find time to go to the gym at all.

Here are the issues; we aren't morning people, and even if we were, I have to be at work at 8:30 and have a commute of about an hour to work. Factor in my very long curly hair which takes 20 minutes to blow dry enough to go out in the cold, and must be washed daily, and, the morning is out. That leaves working out at night.

So, what I want to know is, how do you find time to cook a good meal, do dishes, do other things that need doing around the house, workout, see friends, AND actually spend "quiet" time together. Oh, and sleep. :laughing

ETA: The apartment we live in has a mini-fridge, about 5 1/2 feet tall, next to no freezer space, so, I can't cook ahead and heat it up to save time. :(

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
How? I just make myself do it. I am learning, like several women in my weight watchers meetings, apparently, to put ME first. Try having a regular job, AND a second job AND no dishwasher and ask me how it all gets done!!
I make lunch AND dinner 90% of the time and I still find time to do it. I do 3 miles of my elliptical trainer, 300 dumbbell reps and ab crunches each night and I don't start until 10 usually. Try lots of crockpot meals. Try simple things like chicken breasts. Get yourself some GADGETS... rice cooker, steamer, crockpot, try using the broil option on your oven (things are still so tasty yet cook so much quicker)... get the cookbook 1 skillett meals or whatever it's called. PLAN AHEAD! Write out a weekly "meal" list so you know what to buy at the grocery store and what each thing is gonna need and/or how long it'll take.

LET THINGS GO. Dishes don't get done? Oh well, do them tomorrow. Try working out every other day (like I plan to, so I dont burn out and not want to do it) and take those off days to due your chores like dishes and laundry and cleaning.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I work my regulat job until around 4:30 or so and start dinner. I'm out of the house by 5:30 or 6 for my second job. I'm home anytime from 9-10:30PM depending on how long it takes me to make a set number of phone calls. I get home, and I go STRAIGHT to the exercise. If I sit down to the TV or the computer I'll never make it there.

So, you've just got to WANT it. Put yourself first. Keep thinking "we can have us time tomorrow.. I need ME time now so he'll keep wanting that "us" time" :laughing

·
I went to bed at 8 and got home at 11
17,309 Posts
Wow... that's a tough one, girl!

I kinda have the opposite problem. I have all the time in the world, but when I look up and the clock has struck 11pm, I wonder where my day went and what all I did with it.

However, Daniel has your same type of problem (minus the hair issue! ;)). He was in great shape when we got married. Now he's put on weight and can't stand it. But his "commute" is 2 hours each way, so morning work-outs are out of the question. Night time work-outs? He's way too tired when he gets home.

We're counting the seconds until his commute is shortened to about 30-40 minutes each way! :2pray But, until then, :shrug :shake.

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
Before I had my son I used to poo poo people who said they didn't have the time... Now I know better!!

I don't cook a whole lot but steaming in the microwave is heathy and quick. Thank goodness my son eats anything...

What I've been doing is walking at lunch - weather permitting, and lifting weights at home. i haven't been doing so hot on the lifting but walking is easier.. Last night I lifted while watching the one show I love (Lost) after everyone went to bed. I've also been eating TONS of fruit. Protein shakes are easy and don't require space for those that can tolerate them... They even have some pre mixed except they are pricey! You can also do squats and lunges almost anywhere! I do walking lunges sometimes while walking to another department (as long as no one can see me!) :laughing

·
The hardest button to button.
9,942 Posts
Well.....my schedule went from insane....to boring and it's funny because I found the time when I had the more insane schedule. :shrug :confused

Try and get in workouts on the weekend since you usually have more time on those days. Aim for just three days a week at first and then build.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
The crockpot recipe was what I was going to suggest. Plan out your meals as above mentioned and then go grocery shopping and stick to your list to get things you don't already have. As for working out, when you know you can't stand your **** insert body part here, and it's hanging in places it shouldn't you will want it bad enough to get fit for your big day. Keep that as your goal and post up a pic of the nastiest pic of you or any nasty ugly person you can find in a mag/internet on your mirror you see everyday as a reminder, you could always get to that point, so before it's too late GO TO THE GYM! :) I wish I had a better half that would work out with me, it'd be soooo much easier. :)

·
Crazy like a fox...
5,755 Posts
I get frustrated at work a lot (especially lately with a bunch of management changes), not to mention I'm just sick of having a belly, so I use the frustration to go to the gym. I get off work at 7, have a 45 minute drive to get to my city, and hit the gym and take it out on that friggin treadmill/bicycle. Plans do not always have to be kept. You can apologize and reschedule, just so you get your time in.

·
Banned
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't meant to ignore you all and your responses! Thank you so much for them!! I got a sinus infection last week (third one this year already!! :mad) and then had a lot going on!!

I for sure want to get a crock pot. Will make life easier for sure!! Caleb was looking for one for me for my birthday because he knows I've been wanting to get one. He's WAY too much of a non-cooking boy though... had no idea where to look!

One of the gifts he did get me is a membership to HIS gym. He knows I hate mine, and we really want to work out together. We figure if we can go to the same gym it'll make things easier on us 'cause we'll still be spending time together but also working out! Plus his is a lot cheaper than mine, and the lines aren't stupid long for machines like at mine!

Sooo... as soon as I get healthy again... we're going to work out at least 3 times a week. I also bought a tantric yoga DVD for us for Valentine's Day which could prove to be a work out of sorts as well!! lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts