Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
laid your bike down? Im not talkin just getting knocked over in the garage but actually dropping it while you were riding.

·
Tequila Baron
2,879 Posts
Well this should be an amzingly huge thread if everyone actually admits to it heh. I'll go first I've laid down my bike 3 times. My first bike a '95 CBR F3 went down twice, once a month or so after I got it. I was out riding and still learning. Hit a road I had no business being on and target fixated on the side of the road. Well yep, that's where I went and crashed at maybe 20-25mph in dirt. I was a lil scratched up, the bike was more scratched up. Then about a month later I thought I'd be cute and make a quick run a block down the wrong way on a access road because I didn't want to go around. It was like 3am I figured no big deal, as soon as I got on the road I saw headlights way down the way. I paniced and tried to turn around and dropped the bike doing maybe 2-5mph turning around. My last mishap was on my current F4i. I had a lil car cut me off and slam in the brakes directly in front of me (for no apparent reason either, stupid cager). I was in the process of changing lanes and had my wheel slightly cocked to the side to change lanes. I paniced when I saw the brake lights because I was so close behind this maroon who cut me off and washed out the front in a nano second. I'm fairly certain I locked the front with it slightly cocked and that's what caused the wreck. I was wearing full gear and was just bruised. Not bad for a 45-50mph lowside. Bike faired cosmetic damage, nothing serious. Hopefully that will be the most serious of all my accidents.

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
I have only been on the ground once and it had nothing to do with me other than I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Other than that none of my bikes have ever been on their sides.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
My current bike is the only one out of six that I haven't dropped. Hopefully I won't drop it.
Three of my previous bikes were dirtbikes. Your suppose to drop those, right?

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
August 19, 1989
I was racing(and winning) against an Interceptor 500 on my RD350LC.
I was going around a corner at about 120km/h(in jeans, Tshirt and helmet), I target fixated on the curbing and went straight into it. lost it when I hit the curb and slid across the sidewalk and across the grass hitting a tree with my leg.
I ended up scraping up the tank, breaking off a turn signal and scratching the exhaust.
I have scars from sliding on grass(it is a big faint brown scar), and now have a sore leg when it gets humid, or I put pressure on the leg(I also did not go to the hospital).:rolleyes

So I had to ride home, bleeding and scraped up with a good limp, but I still managed a few wheelies on the way home with the turnsignal in my hand.:rolleyes: :shake

·
Registered
454 Posts
Well with my first bike 2 times. It was an EX250. The first day I got (in February) i was riding in a parking lot. The problem was there was about 4" snow and I ended up on my ass. The scond was while tring to go faster around a turn, I taget fixated and off the road I went, right into a mailbox.

The SV has been down once. This one was at the track. It does not bother me to wreck at the track, I would like to not do it again but at the track I am pushing myself and the bike so it is going to happen.

·
Registered
704 Posts
My bike has unfortunately been laid down 3 times. They were pretty much all because of gravel. 2 were very slow speed, about 15 mph and the first one was about 35 mph. One of the slow ones was the most damaging because it cracked the clutch cover on the asphalt.

·
Moto Junkie
2,450 Posts
Many times on my dirtbike when I was a kid.....I actually hit a chicken house in the air once.....don't ask...:redflip

So far no accidents on the street ride **knocks on wood**

·
Forum Leader,
6,102 Posts
Same here. Lots of crashes on dirt bikes. None on the road after 21 years of riding. Am I jinxed now for saying that??

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Did it once, twisted my ankle somehow, I think it was when I was getting up from rolling off the ground. I put way too much gas while exiting a turn (about a week or 2 of riding exp.)

·
Dark Lord
2,071 Posts
My current road bike, the 929 has been lowsided once. Frame sliders saved my ass with that. I was going about 35-40 through corner 10 @ NFMP.

My dirtbikes spent almost as much time on their sides as they did upright when I was a kid, but my worst two crashes were on them. Once hit a rock and looped the bike. Knocked me unconcious (Helmet saved my life). Second time lowsided it while riding my sister on the back through the neighborhood. I had some really nice roadrash from that one...

·
The hardest button to button.
9,942 Posts
I've been down once but it was at a "relatively" slow speed. It really sucked and I'd love to say it's never going to happen again but you just don't know that. Thank god I bought a bike that was already a little beat up so the only reason I was crying was the massive road rash down my arms and legs!

:laughing

·
I used to be drunk and Tan damn NY
7,107 Posts
Once at 55(cop pulled out in front of me)
Once at 35(I ate the mountain in the Gap)

THANK GOD FOR MY SHOEI AND LEATHERS. I have a small patch of road rash from the first one where my shoe ripped (Now I have a pair of brand spankin new Teknics)

·
Registered
203 Posts
None here, I've had several close calls, but never actually been down.

Almost hit a deer a few weeks ago, did a nice stoppie at 60mph or so to avoid that... :D

Hit one of those painted arrows on the ground in an Arbys parking lot and the back end slid out about 2', had to put my foot down to save that one :eek:

Plenty of other stories like that, but I haven't been down yet... ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Twice, first time got hit by car on the freeway. Second high-sided in latigo at 45 threw me into the wall of the mountain, lucky there was all the rock slide debris push up against the mountain where i hit.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Lowside left, Lowside right............it happens at the track:(

1 - 20 of 47 Posts