Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered some new tires for my GSXR off of discountmotorcycletire.com, and called the localbike shop to see how much it would cost to have them mounted and balanced. They said $36 per tire plus wheel weights. This seems really high to me but maybe because I am comparing it to car tires and I'm sure there is a difference.

Keep in mind that this was the price if I brought the rims in off of the bike, I forgot to get the other price while I was on the phone with him.

What do you guys pay??

·
Registered
630 Posts
that sounds about right.
go on ebay and save you money since oem stuff is wicked crazy

·
Tequila Baron
2,879 Posts
36 per tire is pretty extreme. THe local place here does it every saturday for $16 per tire (if you bring in tire) If they are taking off the rims then I'd expect around 30-35.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Around here it ranges from $10/wheel if you bring the wheel in to $40+/wheel if you bring the whole bike.

But, you said you bought the tires elsewhere.. most people will charge extra if you don't buy the tires from them. Your best bet is to just call around.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The local shops out here charge from $0 (if you bought the tires from them) to $50 (if the rims are still on the bike). Most shops charge a little more if you did not buy the tires from 'em.

ANyway, that price is a little high to my thinking but not alot. Also, I've never had anyone charge me for wheel weights.

·
Moderator,
11,545 Posts
I pay $20 per wheel for mount and balance if I bring the wheels off the bike. Try to find a local race shop that may do it for you.

·
The Dark Knight
1,650 Posts
I have the harbor frieght tire mounting thingy. It works OK but it helps to have at least one person helping you. The Honda dealer over here charged me $12 to balance. Another bike shop said they would charge $7 to balance and a Yamaha dealer said $5.50 to balance. I also wanted to get a great deal on tires online but I did not want to make up the difference in the mounting and balancing.

·
The Dark Knight
1,650 Posts
Rezin said:
I mount and balance my own... Takes an hour or so to do both, at a minimal cost...

Most places here are no less than $50 if you didn't buy the tires from them....
What do you use to balance your tires and where do you get the weights?

·
Registered
16,189 Posts
Batman said:
What do you use to balance your tires and where do you get the weights?
I got one of the low friction Pro Balancers we sell here for ourselves. There are a few of us, and the cost of the balancer, bead breaker and weights has paid for itself 3 times over already.... Plus the diff cones etc mean I can do a number of diff bikes accuratley.

I've seen some setups with just old bearings, but I dunno if I'd trust it. They don't protect the wheel bearings.....

This has the low friction, opposing spin roller bearings, and a coned rod. Works like a charm...

I use tape weights, and they work great.... $25 for a box of 360 weights. Plenty for a looong time ;) They are on the bottom of the link below...

http://www.tricktape.com/product.asp?0=313&1=349&3=2466

·
Registered
630 Posts
cant you just use two jack stands to balance tires. friends and i have done plenty of times and it seems to work great.

·
The Dark Knight
1,650 Posts
Rezin said:
I got one of the low friction Pro Balancers we sell here for ourselves. There are a few of us, and the cost of the balancer, bead breaker and weights has paid for itself 3 times over already.... Plus the diff cones etc mean I can do a number of diff bikes accuratley.
That looks pretty cool but will it handle the back wheel of a VFR. Since it has a single sided swingarm the wheel does not have any bearings.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Batman said:
I have the harbor frieght tire mounting thingy.
That is a bead breaker on the bottom, right? Do you have a link to oder that setup from?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts