Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put a new rear tire on and i put the tention bolts back where they were but the chain seamed tighter. now i have what sounds like a gear whine. chain to tight?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
remember to :

adjust chain cold, lube chain hot, and check for alignment :thumb

·
Registered
781 Posts
There should be about an inch of up/down play, if not a hair more, when the mid point is pressed up from the bottom. Too loose is MUCH better than too tight.

As for the noise - Make sure your tire is on straight. The sond you hear could be the chain grinding the sprocket away 'cos it's all put together crooked.

Scott :)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
3/4-1 1/4" of slack. (look in your owners manual to see what spec is)
as for your whine,
what tension do you have now ??? might be too tight.
are the marks on each side of the axle the same ?
is the axle TOO TIGHT ??

·
Hoof Hearted
2,820 Posts
Another thing to remember is that the slack should be checked under load. I.e. with you sitting on it. It will tighten slightly when you sit on it and if you are on the tight side it will be too tight. That was the problem I had the first time I adjusted my chain. I went by what it said in the book and noticed when I sat on it I could hear the chain "creak." I backed the adjuster nuts about between 1/4 and 1/2 a turn and it was perfect.

·
Registered
498 Posts
ijustride said:
Dont forget the chain doesn't wear evenly, you need to check it at the tightest point!
i can vouch for that one... :shake i was stupid once and was in the garage for a couple hours figuring that one out, lol :D

-derek

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.