Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All you racers/trackday junkies I could use your help. Weather's supposed to be "high around 40" at Little Tally on Sunday. I'm going to be rocking Underarmour and 2-3 long john shirts with a turtleneck. Anything else I can do so I don't freeze to death? Colin I know you said something about a sweatshirt over leathers, that legal for WERA and if so does it work?

·
Rolling Chicane
8,124 Posts
stay at home. :toothy

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
US421-R6 said:
Adam, you are welcome to borrow one of my non-perfed suits if that will help.. just give me a call
I appreciate it but I'll just wear mine. I'd feel bad, so would my bank account, if I chucked it down the road wearing your suit and bought you a new one.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cbr929rrerion said:
Ride Slower....:confused
It's a race man. Kinda defeats the purpose.

·
Dive Bomber
661 Posts
Some people wore sweaters over their leathers, but I didn't because the damn thing will become a major distration to you as is flaping away in the wind. Plus it really does help much.

Wear as much as you can under your leathers.... BUT, you want to be a flexable as possible.

This is what I did.... I would just do a quick jog to get my body heat up before a session or my race, then jump into my leathers, and do ALOT of stretching, and keep moving before getting on your bike.
If you really want to have the advantage on others riders, be more ready to battle the cold as the others will suffer form the temps before the end of the race.

Now for gear....
First: don't wear a sweater of jacket, its just going to slow you down.
Gets some thicker riding gloves for cold weather, that still have a good feel to the controls. Or if you don't like them or just can't find anything else, just wear you best gloves, and HEAT them up REALLY well, just before you get onto the track. (On the back straight I would shove my left hand down into the side engine vent to pick up a little heat for my hand.)

2nd, get one of those ski-neck covers. This will help ALOT to keep your neck and face from getting cold and it doesn't get in your way. You can get these at wal-mart for a few bucks.

3rd, get something to keep your visor from fogging up! This really sucks!!!!

4th, make sure you breath! Sometimes people will forget to breath, when they get cold..lol.

5th, if you are focused on riding and the track, the cold won't even bother you. But, soon as you start thinking about the cold, your done for because you are going to tense up and ride like shit. Stay relaxed as possible, thats why I do that little job and stretching just to get my body loose.

Damn I could keep going....
:D

The parts of your body you really need to worry about are you hands because those damn things are going to get cold, the rest is all about keep you body from becoming tense and getting muscle cramps.

Hope that helps and if you need or want any other advace just ask.

Good luck tally in Feb. does divided the men from the boys. Its a good time to get that advantage on the other riders that are not ready to RACE in the cold. Riding and racing in cold weather are totally different and you will see some just able to ride and not race, because they weren't ready for it!

:nanana

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Colin! :thumb :thumb

·
Post Whore
2,704 Posts
Don't forget hydration.. Drink lots of water. It is as important in cold weather as it is in hot..

I agree the Baclava to keep face and neck warm or at least break the wind..

I can tell you in the military we use poly-Pro Pants and Shirts. They keep you warm as hell and do not restrict movement..

Also remember your feet, very important to keep them warm, you know that your extremities are first to chill so keeping them warm is key..

And have fun... I am leaving for Mexico Monday morning but hope you do well and have fun...

·
Curves Monkey
314 Posts
ADAM: I have a full set of poly pro from my days in Rotc. Pants, shirt, and they poly for your head. The one for your head covers up averthing but your eyes and nose. I dont care if you skipped it down the track, lol (your leathers will protect it anyway.

Rick is right the shit is awsome and pretty thin, it would be perfect for this occasion!

·
Post Whore
2,704 Posts
zccmR6 said:
ADAM: I have a full set of poly pro from my days in Rotc. Pants, shirt, and they poly for your head. The one for your head covers up averthing but your eyes and nose. I dont care if you skipped it down the track, lol (your leathers will protect it anyway.

Rick is right the shit is awsome and pretty thin, it would be perfect for this occasion!
Adam I would take him up on that gear, we were issued that at Ft Drum New York where alot of units did their "Extreme Cold Weather Training"

And it is good shit... Comfortable as can be and warm..

:clap

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, it is great stuff. I've got a set of the MIL-spec Extreme weather gear. I remembered though that I've got my Belstaff jacket from back when I raced hare scrambles so I'm going to wear some long johns, my leathers, then put that over the top. It's got a belt so that I can secure it so it doesn't flap. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cbr929rrerion said:
I am leaving for Mexico Monday morning but hope you do well and have fun...
I'm jealous. I could go for some local tequila. Hope you have a good time.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts