Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Friend of sinners
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding Saturday night, and was passing through a small town when a tiny rabbit raced across the road in front of me.

I missed the rabbit.

I didn't, however, miss the really cute little weiner dog that was chasing it. I felt a little bump against the back tire and heard some yapping.

I pulled over, but I couldn't find the dog anywhere. I asked at a few houses, and they all suggested the same owner, but they weren't home, and I didn't have any way of leaving a message.

So now I need to go back and tell this family a few days before Christmas that I was the one that hit their dog... not looking forward to that.

I'm guessing liabilty insurance on the bike would cover a new dog or at least the vet bills.

This sucks. :(

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Damn that does suck. I'm not sure if the insurance would cover that or not :confused

·
jayman and Method are super fabulous!
6,517 Posts
Not to sound insensitive or anything, but why is this your fault? I know you feel bad about hitting the dog but what was it doing out side in the road.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Agreed. This is not your fault. Perhaps you should go back and get their address and send them a sympathy card and of course, don't leave a return address. This is NOT YOUR FAULT. There are laws against this sort of thing! So, if they did find out who you are and asked you to pay for something you could always take them to court and mention leash laws, fence laws, whatever.

You feel guilty and sad and that's expected. Don't however feel you in any way shape or form have to pay for their mistake. ;)

·
Registered
24,114 Posts
I feel sorry for the dog as well...

But, I somewhat agree with spiderman.

I glad your man enough to own up to it though....That shows real class :thumb

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
well this is just me...but I would kick the owners ass for letting their dog run free and risking it getting hurt......

·
Registered
28,590 Posts
spiderman6969 said:
Not to sound insensitive or anything, but why is this your fault? I know you feel bad about hitting the dog but what was it doing out side in the road.
+1

Of course, in this world we live in where no one takes responsibility for anything... it's nice to hear of someone "stepping up". But, it isn't like you AIMED for the dog or anything...

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
+1 Dog's don't belong on roads, cars and bikes belong on roads. If as the incident was happening, you went to their house and no one was home, wtf is with that? they left their dog out unattached while they went out? :shake

totally not your fault, but if your concience is eating at ya, do what ASD girl said, send them an anonymous card:

"sorry bout your dog, I smoked it with my bike, maybe leave your next dog inside, Merry Christmas" :laughing

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
Send an apology, and include the business cards of local dog trainers and fence companies. They're lucky it was their dog that got hurt, and not you.

·
I'm so vain, I probably think this song is about m
14,142 Posts
i might sound like an asshole, but the dog shouldnt have been on the road...

My uncles cat got hit by a car, had his back broken yesterday. I had to shoot the cat for him. I didnt feel one bit bad about killing it, it was suffering. It wasnt the cars fault, it was the cats.

I sang here comes santa clause while i walked up to him... then i threw him in the woods.

·
Registered
21,040 Posts
OK so yea the dog shouldnt have been on the road but it still really sucks for the doggy.. its not his fault that his owners are irresponsible pieces of shitlard!

·
Registered
24,114 Posts
Apocolypse said:
It wasnt the cars fault, it was the cats.

I think it was the 2 ton cars running over the cats back but, I could be wrong :crackup

I seriously wouldn't fault anyone if it was cat out and about cause they free roam and go where they want if you let them out and there somewhat better adapted for out door activities. Some people may disagree with that but, :shrug

With a dog it's totally the owners fault....can't let a dog free roam through the nieghborhood. I seen some people leash there cats but, that just seems weird to me :laughing

·
Registered
24,114 Posts
JEWELZ007 said:
OK so yea the dog shouldnt have been on the road but it still really sucks for the doggy.. its not his fault that his owners are irresponsible pieces of shitlard!
You so have to add "SHITLARD" to the cuss thread :lol

·
Tatters in the Tree House
4,796 Posts
timy said:
I feel sorry for the dog as well...

But, I somewhat agree with spiderman.

I glad your man enough to own up to it though....That shows real class :thumb
+1

·
her
3,166 Posts
You are all right, the dog should not have been in the road.

However, please consider that maybe the owner was not being iresponsible, but that it was an accident that the dog was out to begin with.

My own dog was hit about 2 weeks ago, in a strange link of events that allowed the dog to find his way to the street. My dogs are protected as much as my kids, and he is never allowed out without supervision. I was lucky, he was hit, and hurt but he survived and is back to normal....getting in trouble. It is a miracle that he survived as he is a 5 lb maltese.

There are many owners who are not responsible too....I agree. I have a neighbor who has small dogs that are allowed to roam free and are always in the street. It is frustrating that mine who got out by accident and only for a moment was hurt and theirs run free all the time and never seem to get hurt. Life is not fair.

The driver who hit him, did not stop. Honestly, I am not sure it would have mattered. What good would it do me to find out who hit him? The driver is not responsible for the bill, it is my dog and my responsibility to keep him safe and healthy and to get vet care when needed. To have a face to blame or get mad at would not solve anything.

If you tried to find the owner at the time, I applaud you....to go back now, serves no purpose.

I hope the little guy is ok though.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
I'd want to own up to it to, but you'e got the blame backwards. If their dog caused you to crash they should be held liable for damages to your bike for letting their dog run free. You are not responsible for reimbursing them for an animal in the roadway, although it may seem like the right thing to do.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Apocolypse said:

I sang here comes santa clause while i walked up to him... then i threw him in the woods.
That song probably terrified him to death before you even shot him

1 - 20 of 27 Posts