Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "headlight" is kinda weak. Being a new rider, riding I the dark I lose a lot of confidence because I feel I dont see everything I should be seeing. Maybe its because I'm used to driving behind 2 7" hella H4s (80w/100w) in my car.

Is there anything I can do to bump up the output of my stock headlight?
Will the wiring handle a higher wattage bulb?
Will I have to relay the headlight?
Any of y'all have any H4 bulb recomendations (NO BLUE HEADLIGHTS)
Heres an odd one: I know that US vs Euro spec lighting in cars is diffrent. But since my bike already takes an H4 bulb is the euro counterpart any diffrent (usally better)?

Thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
I bought the same ones from tricktape. Super bright. Little blue tinge, but it goes well with the bike ;)

Larry

·
Registered
669 Posts
Any aftermarket supply company like Tricktape has high output bulbs. That alone should increase the road visibility significantly. Many are going to have a blueish glow to them but not all. I find that bulb incredibly brighter though, I have the 100w bulbs in my 9 and they lite up the road!

Per Dieder's request I am moving this to hopefully get some more input. Still feel free to comment guys.

·
Registered
904 Posts
if you go with the hi-watt bulbs, DONT buy the ones from hiper industries, they melted my wiring harness and i know at least one other person that had the same problem with the same bulbs/manufac.

personally, i stay with stock wattage bulbs with light blue tint...

although, i still have NOT heard anyone complain about the hi-watt ones from tricktape...

i had stock wattage bulbs that produced a better candlelight a couple years ago WITHOUT the blue tint, i think the gas in the bulb was different than your standard variety that allowed the filament to burn brighter...anyway they were made by raybrig, when they burned out, the place i bought them from didnt carry them anymore because the blue bulbs were better sellers:(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dkmssl, I am a lil wary of just upping the wattage like that. First, I know the higher bulb will draw more power... not sure if my 11 year old wiring can handle that. Second, I have a plastic reflector, in my car with my 100w highs the light gets REAL hot, but its all glass. Its actually kinda cool turning them off in the garage, the glow for a good 3-4 seconds while cooling off. Those fuckers are increadable! Gotta love hella!

I think I may go out an but a new bulb, I just dont want the blue tint cause I know how much it annoys me (my eyes), but I guess that might work in my favor, to be seen.

Any input on the thought of actually taking one a 7" round headlight and somehow fitting it in where the square light was? i think that'd look pretty cool!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Why no blue headlights - yes to some they may be annoying to some to look at but on ther other hand your being seen. I think the blue lights put out more light, maybe its just me. I would think your wiring would be fine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
blue I read is actually in a dimmer area of the sprectrum. (something like that)

And not to be a prick, but do you have any knowlege behind your
"I would think your wiring would be fine" cause wiring harnesses are not too fun to replace and "think" is an iffy word to rely on.

·
Registered
904 Posts
the blue tint is a filter that produces the "whiter" visible light also good bulbs use the xenon gas (some more than others) for the filament inside the bulb to burn hotter/brighter...

i think i might still have my pics of melted wiring harnesses from use of the hi-watt bulbs from hiper industries...if i can find them i'll post them up...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anyone have any other brand name recomendations. I especially would like to hear testimonials on which brand you have used and liked (or seen) and ones you did not like.

so far we have 2 thumbs up for "the" superwhites from Tricktape.
I am looking for a high xenon % bulb? I have heard good things and high prices about the PIAA bulbs.

Any input you have is apperciated.

(execpt for spelling tips)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Advance Auto sells some very kickass bulbs for $25/pr. A little pricey, but they're great. The package says APC, but they're made by someone else, and are identical to the ones I purchased in a Lockhart Phillips package last year. They look blue from a distance, but the light they throw onto the road is as white as it gets.

My EX250 handled one of these 100/90-watt bulbs for a year with no problems, so your EX500 should as well. :D

Jared

P.S. They also burn holes in other drivers' eyeballs in the daytime - a good thing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
funny you mention advance...

I was just stocking those suckers yesterday, I think I'll have to wait till saturday when the store opens. ;) to test em out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Dieder said:
funny you mention advance...

I was just stocking those suckers yesterday, I think I'll have to wait till saturday when the store opens. ;) to test em out.
Hey, to show your gratitude, you can just send me some free stuff. I'll e-mail you my list. :D

Jared

·
Registered
904 Posts
piaa's are good, alot of differnt bulbs, tons of applications, but for the money i ($70-80) i put my money into raybrigs...

the ones i just bought are stock wattage with 5000k color temp.

the highest color temp rating and whitest bulb i found outside of real hid's

·
Registered
716 Posts
Here is a picture of my F4i with the stock bulb and the replacement bulb at stock wattage from TrickTapes. I've had it in for about 4 months and it's a lot brighter at night. Good stuff:thumb

·
You're so big you HAVE to ride a Busa, huh?
320 Posts
Phillips and Sylvania both make H4 buldbs in your stock watage that throw more light.
Here is the sylvania link Stock wattage, more light , Check out the Plus and the Premium... can't find the phillips link just now.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I run PIAA in my Jeep! They have a blue ish tint to the light but not to the glass so they are the real deal! Blue is cool as long its not just a painted bulb!

The color on mine comes from the gass inside! Highly recomend them!

-al

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
I have an EX500 as well, and would like a brighter light. Which should I get - the stock wattage, or 90/100w? Will the higher wattage bulbs cause problems? What are the risks/rewards?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts