Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loved doing your job. But, hated everything else about it. Would you go for another job that paid the same but was much more physically demanding?

·
Crazy like a fox...
5,755 Posts
too vague. I'd have to know what the other job was. If I was, say, a teacher and I loved teaching kids but I hated the other teachers and the way things were run etc, I'd really have to think hard on whether I'd go for a construction working job... If they're totally different like that, probably not. But if the other job was (along the same scenario) a high school teacher where it was so much more demanding both physically and mentally, I'd probably consider it much more. Then again, the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. The other high school teachers could be worse than my lower-schooling situation. (sorry for the weird example, first things that came to mind)

Actually at this point I'd just like a job. :)

·
I'm so vain, I probably think this song is about m
14,142 Posts
shut up and stay in the army, your doing well

·
Holier Than Thou
8,706 Posts
So what's caught your eye man?

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok.. Essentially..

If you worked on a boat. And you enojoyed doing "your" job. But, you constantly had to do other jobs because that is the nature of your trade.

Would you consider giving up a nice rack and hot showers for perhaps, a combat trade?

·
14,142 Posts
Nick Name said:
Ok.. Essentially..

If you worked on a boat. And you enojoyed doing "your" job. But, you constantly had to do other jobs because that is the nature of your trade.

Would you consider giving up a nice rack and hot showers for perhaps, a combat trade?
Get your papers for your trade, in the long run youll be better off.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apocolypse said:
Get your papers for your trade, in the long run youll be better off.
The thing is.. I have another 5 years before I can even write my ticket. And if I really really wanted it. I would go on Civi street and get it. It's faster and more suited to civilian trades.

I've already talked to my bosses about getting out when my contract is up and going to college. But, I do like all the adventure and travelling. So.. Lately I've been weighing my options about joining the infantry for a few years and possibly going airborne just to get the adventure aspect out of my life and possibly be able to settle into something when I'm done.

But, I'm soooo confused on what I want to do in life I'm not even sure where to look...

·
14,142 Posts
5 years man, thats no time at all...

just think.... how long have we been outta school?

and civi wont pay as well until after you have your papers.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fine.. You want the Travis answer?

I wanna blow shit up and fuck some eastern chicks. :D

I just don't know how badly I want it... :laughing

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Nick Name said:
The thing is.. I have another 5 years before I can even write my ticket. And if I really really wanted it. I would go on Civi street and get it. It's faster and more suited to civilian trades.

I've already talked to my bosses about getting out when my contract is up and going to college. But, I do like all the adventure and travelling. So.. Lately I've been weighing my options about joining the infantry for a few years and possibly going airborne just to get the adventure aspect out of my life and possibly be able to settle into something when I'm done.

But, I'm soooo confused on what I want to do in life I'm not even sure where to look...
Welp, I don't know what you and Apoc are talking about, but if you want to do something like SF in the service...do it now. Dont wait. Procastination is bad when considering this.

Also, if you don't, you will always wonder later on why you never did.

·
14,142 Posts
so if ya know what ya want, stop wasting my fucking time with questions :redflip

and come work at the smelter. Theyll let you play with dynamite and the chinese are buying it, so you can fuck them. :redflip

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Inferno said:
Welp, I don't know what you and Apoc are talking about, but if you want to do something like SF in the service...do it now. Dont wait. Procastination is bad when considering this.

Also, if you don't, you will always wonder later on why you never did.
That's my one concern.. I'll be wondering "what if" down the road from now.

I've been told from day one, that I would make a great soldier. And I've been told by my bosses that I would be their bosses some day. I follow orders to the letter. I have great iniative. And I'm not afraid to do things my own way once I'm left in charge.

I'm only a "private" and they leave me in charge of jobs already. And I've already fucked some shit up and went in front of the man said, " I fucked up sir. I don't know what else I can tell you. I thought we did it right. And I guess we didn.." And I've been punished for it. And I took it all in stride.

I just feel that my attitude and my strong will would be better suited to the combat trades. I'd advance a fuck of alot faster. And I would be much more disciplined..
But, I'm driking.. What do I know..? The only thing I do know.. I've been in for 1.5 years. And since day one this question has been on my mind..

·
Registered
16,960 Posts
Nick Name said:
That's my one concern.. I'll be wondering "what if" down the road from now....
1. You will always ask "what if" in life. No matter what your choice. Don't think playing the field will make you better for a diversity of experience. You could have the perfect life and still wonder about "the road not traveled."

2. The reason combat arms offers you faster rank advancement is (according to what I've been told) because it is one of the few things it can offer you. You will not learn a marketable job skill as you will in other aspects of the military. So, they give you more rank/pay/leadership opportunity.

3. For the good of your long-term future, you should stay where you are. Adventure today does not pay for itself in the future. If you really want more challenge, rank advancement potential, excitement, etc., see if there is an alternative to what you are being offered. Something that would advance you faster but still keep you in a technical field that will make you $$$ once you get your papers.

It seems to me that you need more challenge and more reward, but not at the expense of giving up a long-term good thing that you have going now.

You need a win-win situation, not "do I take A or B." In either choice, you get one benefit at the expense of another loss. :(

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Baby Gorilla said:
1. You will always ask "what if" in life. No matter what your choice. Don't think playing the field will make you better for a diversity of experience. You could have the perfect life and still wonder about "the road not traveled."

2. The reason combat arms offers you faster rank advancement is (according to what I've been told) because it is one of the few things it can offer you. You will not learn a marketable job skill as you will in other aspects of the military. So, they give you more rank/pay/leadership opportunity.

3. For the good of your long-term future, you should stay where you are. Adventure today does not pay for itself in the future. If you really want more challenge, rank advancement potential, excitement, etc., see if there is an alternative to what you are being offered. Something that would advance you faster but still keep you in a technical field that will make you $$$ once you get your papers.

It seems to me that you need more challenge and more reward, but not at the expense of giving up a long-term good thing that you have going now.

You need a win-win situation, not "do I take A or B." In either choice, you get one benefit at the expense of another loss. :(
Holy shit. That made alot of sense. Thank alot Bg..

·
4000 Post Club
4,311 Posts
BG, one of the best thought out discussions I have read in quite a while.

Remember, the grass is always greaner over the septic tank

1 - 17 of 17 Posts