Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Read Only
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously.
All my life I've wanted to be a police officer. I've HATED every job that didn't relate to that. I LOVED doing security/loss prevention work.

I've tried part time jobs in sales and restaurant work but I HATE it.

I don't want to call myself a quitter but I quit jobs that I don't enjoy. If I'm not learning, or meeting interesting people or challenging myself I don't want to stick around.

I'm only 19 and I'm still involved with the application process with the Local State PD. If it doesn't work out I REALLY think I might want to try the military.

For those of you who have done it: what kind of person does it take to "enjoy" it. I'm not in need of discipline, I'm not there to brainwash myself and become a different person. I just think that would be a very useful and perhaps enjoyable credential for my life.

HELP!?!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
If you've been applying for MSP, please PM me, I may be of assistance.

As you know, I was in the Corps. Great experience, no matter what anyone says.

I'm now planning on attending the second MSP class of '05, for another experience.

Again, please feel free to contact me with any questions.

·
Hayabusa Madness
2,613 Posts
What kind of person does it take to "enjoy" serving your country..? The short answer is...a patriot. At 19 years of age, you aren't the best judge of what you need. Whether you think you need discipline or not, you'll find (if you join) that discipline is rigidly enforced. The military is not very different from most other large organizations. They have rules that are in place for the good of the group, even if it means inconvenience for the few. If you want to work in law enforcement you could become a Military Policeman (MP) in the US Army. There is little doubt that if you join you will eventually find yourself in Iraq or Afghanistan, possibly both. After serving with the MPs for awhile you can request to work in CID (Criminal Investigations Division), which is similar in some respects to the FBI, but for the military. You could become a Warrant Officer, if you decided you wanted to make it a career. Only you can answer the question of whether you enjoy being in the military or not, and then only after you've given it a good try (3-4 years). A word on "brainwashing" and "becoming a different person". The US military doesn't brainwash anyone. However, after over 200 years of experience they have discovered that new enlistees arrive thinking only of themselves. Why..? Because their parents, schools, and society in general fosters this kind of self-centered, individualistic thinking. In the military individualism gets people killed. In the military everything is done as a team, and teamwork is one of the most highly prized attributes. The military takes raw recruits, and through a process called Basic Training strips away the veneer of individualism that most of us have applied to our psyches, and replaces it with teamwork, honor, integrity, and patriotic fervor. This process is used throughout the world to turn civilians into soldiers. You will become a different person, whether you like it or not. The truth is that we are all constantly becoming different people all the time. Everything that impacts our lives changes us minutely until, years later, we have become completely different people then we were when we were 19 years old. Good luck.

·
Forum Leader,
17,386 Posts
Just keep this in mind: when you get tired of it, sick of the "bs" and games, tired of taking orders, tired of the field and deployments, sick of training, and whatever else you may think of, your only choice is to suck it up and drive on. Your life and your buddy's life could depend on it.

Be honest with yourself. If you are prone to quit when the going gets tough, you may want to pass on the armed services. Quit is not an option - unless you're gonna be one of those spineless pieces of shit that can't do the time they signed on for :shrug Just my .02 :)

It was a good thing for me, I met the challenges I set for myself head on, struggled at times, and I'm a better person for it in the end.

YMMV. Good luck either way.

·
Analyzer Stabilizer
131 Posts
Reyndogg said:
Just keep this in mind: when you get tired of it, sick of the "bs" and games, tired of taking orders, tired of the field and deployments, sick of training, and whatever else you may think of, your only choice is to suck it up and drive on. Your life and your buddy's life could depend on it.

Be honest with yourself. If you are prone to quit when the going gets tough, you may want to pass on the armed services. Quit is not an option - unless you're gonna be one of those spineless pieces of shit that can't do the time they signed on for :shrug Just my .02 :)
+1

·
Registered
16,959 Posts
Frankly, talk to Travis (US421-R6).

Never spent a day in the military. Now works for Nuclear Fuel Services making better money than any cop and gets to play with the fun guns all day (tactical squad). Mostly who he knew and that he worked loss prevention is what got him in. He could give you better tips to pursue your goals.

To me, you seem too much a free thinker to enjoy the military. Military is more "group think" than "brain wash" but the same end effect. You either conform to what they mold you to be or they can (1) boot you out for "failure to adapt," or (2) make your time miserable, if not both. It's not just about following orders and tolerating it. If you're miserable, you're miserable. Add to that the fact that opportunity and advancement in the civilian world has more to do with who you know than what you've done, the military may not be the path for you.

Also, since quitting isn't an option, you shouldn't join until you are sure it's what you want to do or you're willing to take the bad with the good...no matter what it turns out to be. Oh, and in this day and time, you WILL see armed conflict. They want to invade more nations as we're typing. So, be aware that's the reality you will likely see.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'll put my 2 cents in since I joined in March this year(Air Force).

A little background on myself, I sucked at school unless I liked the class(A+'s in advanced placement Physics, Computer Science etc and almost failed Speech and Art), I tried college and failed miserably b/c it wasn't structured in any way, but every job I've had my boss loved me b/c I work my ass off.

I joined to get a career started(whether I decided to stay in or not). It has started, I've been training since day one, and I'll be training until I get out. It gets old, but the service needs you to further yourself so you can further the service.

When I told all my friends from high school I joined their jaws dropped, I was the last person they'd ever think would join. Serving has changed me, but at the core I'm still the same person. There's no brainwashing, but they do have to strip away all the "civilian" off of you.

Ohh, and they sent me to Alaska the last place I ever thought I'd be, but I'm managing(I like the base, just not the ppl off base).

ohh and the single best thing my recruiter did for me was show me this website so I'll give it to you... http://usmilitary.about.com

·
ReelSolid.TV
9,056 Posts
Bevis said:
If you join just don't go around bitching when it's your turn to go off to war.
seriously. :shake

go rent "the Andy Griffith show" and "Band of Brothers", and choose which scenario you like better. :toofunny

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I like the Air Force...After 20 years I'll have a degree, retirement check, and I'm still young enough to start a new career..:D

·
At BANNED Camp
16,067 Posts
I would say go for a two year enlistment. In two years you will know if it is for or not. I joined for three and then did another three. I really wanted to make it a career and to this day regret having gotten out. In two years you might just find yourself and discover you love the challenge and discipline of being a soldier or may realize you made a mistake. You really never know.

The military is a strange animal, all kinds of different people fall in love with it. Gung ho types, prissy types, street gangsta types. You really never know. I was in a unit where you would think it was all gung ho types and in reality we had all types and really had a disproportional amount of smart asses and I was one of them.

If you really are thinking about it I really would do the two year enlistment. In the end, no harm will come out doing two years of military service. Unless you get shot or blown up and shit.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
How come you got out speed? Ever post I see makes me believe you had to have been a military lover. Seems like it was for you.

·
At BANNED Camp
16,067 Posts
FZR600rider said:
How come you got out speed? Ever post I see makes me believe you had to have been a military lover. Seems like it was for you.
I was 26 almost 27 when I enlisted. I took my brother in law to the recruiter, the recruiter talked to me and I thought "what the hell" and decided to give it a try. I had been married for 6 1/2 years and had two daughters. My wife (ex-wife now) did three years herself.

Military life for a family is kind of hard to begin with and when a soldier is part of an elite unit (I was in the Rangers) it is even worse. There are deployments, manuevers, NTC. I was hardly ever home. My wife got tired of me never being around (though she had no problem getting laid a lot :( ) and finally threw down the Gauntlet. "Either your fucking Rangers or me" were her exact words. I chose her. Bitch wound up trying to kill me and leaving later anyway.

I loved the Rangers. I found myself there. I got out almost 11 years ago and I still miss it.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Evan~ I think you are getting some really good solid advice here. Though I don't know you that well, I think I know know you well enough to know that you have the dedication, determination and will to be successful in any branch in the military! I honestly think you would be an asset to military just as much as it would be an asset to you! Speak to a recruiter of whichever branch you are thinking more about..have them tell you the pro's cons etc of joining. Take time to think about it long and hard as it will be a decision that will effect the rest of your life. Best of luck to you!

·
At BANNED Camp
16,067 Posts
Baby Gorilla said:
Sure they won't take you back?
Too old, too fat, too broken (been shot twice and have had two surgery requiring get-offs since then), I had a good time though.
Glad to have done even if I got out before I should have.

·
Registered
628 Posts
All I can say is...You will belong to the US government...so don't cry if you get sent to Iraq or Afghanistan...or run away to Canada and join a circus.

Make sure your mom doesn't go on TV and cry that her baby is going off to war...

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Good luck in your choice.

Joining the service is a HUGE decision to make.

I loved my 10 years I served, even though the first few years were kinda "rocky"...it turned out to be an awesome experiance, and I miss it :(

·
Read Only
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To clear up some of the comments. I'm not the least bit worried about where I'll be sent or if I see active duty. I wouldn't join just for kicks it would be a major life move so I'd put my all into it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.