Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been on a bike in 20 years. Looking to get back into.
Past bikes:
YZ 125
RM 390
BSA 650 '68
Sportster 1000 '78

Bikes I am considering used:
Suzuki GS 500
Ninja 500
XZ 6 (2003)

While shopping around I ran across a '96 Ninja 600 w/less then 6K miles.
Overall in good shape, some surface pitting on alum.
They are asking $3200, this seem a little high? Any thoughts?
Also I can not find any information on this model? mabye under different model number?
Anyone have this model, would like good/bad comments.
Would also like comments on choices, will 500's ride 2up?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
500's will ride two up. I've done it before and am not a small person. Just have to take into consideration the affect the weight has on all things.

That price is rather high for a 96 considering a few hundred more puts you in the market for a much newer and better overall 6R. I would only pay ~$2200 at most for that 96 if for no other reason than parts are rare for it now. Oh and the headlight sucked badly on the one I had.

Since you haven't ridden in so long a 500 is a good bet to ease you back into it and make sure you really want to ride again. If you decide against it you can usually resell them for about the same you paid. It helps if you don't pay more than about $2k for one.

A Suzuki Bandit 600 might also be a good choice

·
let's Rock!
244 Posts
paco1711 said:

Bikes I am considering used:
Suzuki GS 500
Ninja 500
XZ 6 (2003)

While shopping around I ran across a '96 Ninja 600 w/less then 6K miles.
Overall in good shape, some surface pitting on alum.
They are asking $3200, this seem a little high? Any thoughts?
Also I can not find any information on this model? mabye under different model number?
Anyone have this model, would like good/bad comments.
Would also like comments on choices, will 500's ride 2up?
The ZX6E is now called the ZZR 600. Same exact bike that Kawi has been making for the last 10 years or so. Parts are easy to get...its a great bike for someone getting back into riding. Not as high strung as one of the top tier 600 SS's out there. 6k miles is NOTHING! If its in good shape and well maintained, $3k is a good price! Nothing against the 500's, but the ZX is a much better bike. Good enough for newbies (its my wifes bike...) and experienced riders ( ...but I still love to put the whip to it) alike! Tame below 6k rpms...but it still rips above 9k!

·
Sometimes I Think Too Much ...
878 Posts
In '96, I believe there were three 600's. The ZX600E (ZX6 4th year), the ZX600F (ZX6R 2nd Year) and the ZX600C (Ninja 600 10th year). Alot of these bikes on the rode, parts shouldn't be a problem.
I believe the name ZZR600 (ZX600J) is in the 2005 lineup as a sport tourer, but not the ZX6E bike. Just my .02

·
let's Rock!
244 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Info on Ninja ZX 600?

dazdconfsd said:
Not true for the 2005 model year. The ZX-6E is now a out of production bike.
True...for '05, the ZZR 600 is basically the previous generation ZX6R. This might be a bit much for a newbie or re-entry rider. Up until '04 (I think), the ZZR was the previous generation ZX6E. That bike would be much easier for the new rider to handle IMO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Info on Ninja ZX 600?

RSVRick said:
True...for '05, the ZZR 600 is basically the previous generation ZX6R. This might be a bit much for a newbie or re-entry rider. Up until '04 (I think), the ZZR was the previous generation ZX6E. That bike would be much easier for the new rider to handle IMO.
yep 04 was the last year for the E. Great bikes, i put a little over 4000 miles on one in about 8 months this past summer, never let me down, always ran great. the under 6K tame over 9K hang on statement is really true, you get it wound up(only did it a few times, boy was it fun) and it will get moveing, buut will putt around down low all day long happily
great bikes, i wish i hadnt sold mine, just didnt want to keep getting raped by progressive for insurence, so now i have an 03 zx6rr for a track bike. boy you will think the E ripps when you wind it up, once you get some good expirience hop on a 636 or modded 6RR(the akro pipe makes a big difference, other wise the 37cc difference is pretty obvious)I was scared shitless the first time i really rolled on it, going up ther hill in my neighborhood, now it goes out just to keep it running every now and then, always under 7K:eek

my E was my second bike, after a 250, i could have survived it as a first, but i had never ridden before. The E's will suprise you, i remember merging in to traffic one day carrying the front wheel about 4 inces off the pavement for a pretty good ways!!! It would also spinn the rear tire up if you wernt careful pulling out of a dusty driveway. Its got power, just not as much as the superfast new bikes

·
Lazy-Dog-Design.com
5,714 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Info on Ninja ZX 600?

RSVRick said:
Correct...

The ZX6D and ZX6E was also called a ZZR600 overseas. The main difference between the D & E was ram air. D was from 90-92. E was 93-04 (called ZZR600 last year).

Had my little D model for 10 years, estimated 60K on the odo (went thru 3 speedos) and very little problems. 2 clutches, rear and front bearings, transmission (known 2nd gear problem. if the tranny hasn't been repaired, it will), and nothing else major.

I would also recommend a SV650 or SV650S. Same bike, S comes with fairings and clip ons, regular 650 has round head light and off road style bars. Both have plenty of power for experienced riders, but gentle enough for newbies and people getting their feet wet again after being off for a while! My brother is 33 and just got his first bike ever...SV650! Loves it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.