Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
A**hole
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a great insurance rate: $200/yr for full coverage. Yeah, I know, it's obscenely cheap. Unfortunately, my insurance company has ceased to insure sportbikes anymore and I'm in the market for a new one. I had a good deal on a sweet VFR which fell through because my insurer won't even cover it (they categorized it as a "Superbike":rolleyes). While they won't cancel my insurance, they have limited the range of bikes I can purchase to Harley's, Japanese cruisers, BMWs, the V-Stroms (but not the SVs), and all of the enduro singles. Think about the bikes that small list excludes for a moment; there are a lot of wonderful bike in that group (Triumph Speed4/Triple, Aprilia Futura, Ducati Multistrada, Yamaha FZ1, etc.). With that said, my question for all of you is what companies do you all use and how much do you pay? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
USAA gave mne a pretty good rate. I only pay $600 every quarter. That covers my SUV, Porsche, and bike.

·
Registered
749 Posts
i have state farm and my rate on the gix 750 is $292 a year full coverage with the lowest possible deductibles! that is with a multi-car discount also.

·
Tatters in the Tree House
4,796 Posts
I am with State farm, $170 a year full coverage, multi vehicle discount with them,$500 deductibles if I remeber correctly.

·
a.k.a Ben
1,013 Posts
State Farm, $15.62 a month, $500 deductible, and full coverage with multi-car discount. No accidents and only one ticket in the last five years.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
I pay $330 for the 02 VFR and $323 for the 01, $500 deductible with full coverage, multi-car discount & the house is with them as well. For all 4 (cars and bikes) it's like $180 a month in insurance.

Oh yeah, big shock considering the trend above; I use State Farm.

switch and buy the VFR :laughing

·
Moderator,
3,312 Posts
Cruizer said:
State Farm, About $300/yr, because they insure only my bike.
He has Farm Bureau NOT State Farm :laughing

I'm getting screwed as usual so no point in me even telling you what i pay :rant

·
Registered
498 Posts
you 25+ people are lucky :redflip

i'm paying 800 a year for my 00 zx6r through progressive. progressive is actually the cheapest i could find in a limited amount of time (since my car is with them).

i had farm bureau for a month but then they changed their policy and said since my car wasnt with them, i wouldnt be able to have my bike with them. i was paying 700 with them. jeez it sucks being 21 and riding a "sportbike" or a "death trap" as one insurer told me :(

after winter i think i'll go insurance shopping again and see if i can get some place cheaper

we could use a thread in this section listing the insurnace companies in indiana. that would help out newbies or those wanting to change insurance companies by giving a list of people to call.

-dc

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
$132 a year, full converage, $500 deduct, multi-car discount. State Farm

1 Accident (On the bike)
4 tickets

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
My only ding on SF is the way they do the rates. It's strictly by CC's which is a good and bad thing. It's good to have standards that wont let them descriminate based on the brand or reputation of the bike, but it sucks that a 600cc SuperSport is a heck of a lot cheaper to insure than my 782cc SportTour bike. But I guess you take the good and the bad :shrug

·
a.k.a Ben
1,013 Posts
balludc said:
I was only paying $26 dollars a month for a '92 Katana 600 as a 19 year old (with St. Farm of course).

·
Another Hit of the Track Pipe Please!!
925 Posts
Sounds like SF is the place to have insurance with.

·
Registered
498 Posts
yam01 said:
I was only paying $26 dollars a month for a '92 Katana 600 as a 19 year old (with St. Farm of course).
yeah, but did you have a car with them?

i'm kinda spoiled so my parents are paying my car insurance until i graduate college. so i will probably have to suffer with high bike insurance for a year or so but will end up moving my car over to my own name and totally switch to state farm (unless progressive offers a better quote for both vehicles combined).

-dc

·
Registered
49 Posts
$349 a year for full coverage on the Busa with State Farm. Pretty good for a bike that most insurance companies won't touch.

Farm Bureau is a joke. The offices are nothing but a bunch of keystone cops and they play bait and switch tactics. Pay your premium and a week later they send you a letter wanting a few hundred more.

Progressive is like Nike, aimed at gullible people who automatically buy into mass advertising and peer pressure. "Gee it's a name I recognize from commercials and all my friends use them so they must be good". In the end you end up with a POS $200 pair of shoes that cost 50¢ to make in a 3rd world country or lousy coverage at 10X to 15X more than what you'd pay from a real insurance company.

And then we have the grand prize winners...those that can save $1200 a year on their bike insurance by switching over to State Farm but won't because State Farm wants $100 a year more for their car. I've seen that one played out a number of times on different forums and I swear those guys need to be wearing a helmet 24/7.

Dairyland is another good company for bikes as long as they like the bike you own. Back around '86 when I bought my first bike they were dirt cheap. Usually around $80 a year and I was 16 back then.
I hear they are still good today on the baby sport bikes (750 and under) and just about a cruiser. Liter and over sport bike don't even bother asking, their prices are then right up there with Progressive.

Foremost has great rates but only for standard bikes. My CX500 Custom always ran me about $50 a year. They refused my CX500 T and CX650 T though.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Turbo-Torch said:Farm Bureau is a joke. The offices are nothing but a bunch of keystone cops and they play bait and switch tactics. Pay your premium and a week later they send you a letter wanting a few hundred more.
yeah, they basically did that to me. was with them for about a month, then they said their policy changed and couldnt have just a bike on a policy

Turbo-Torch said:Progressive is like Nike, aimed at gullible people who automatically buy into mass advertising and peer pressure. "Gee it's a name I recognize from commercials and all my friends use them so they must be good". In the end you end up with a POS $200 pair of shoes that cost 50¢ to make in a 3rd world country or lousy coverage at 10X to 15X more than what you'd pay from a real insurance company.
my family has alot of vehicles... and actually progressive is the cheapest we could find (auto). talked to SF, geico, quite a few more but no one could beat their quote. thats the reason i wont take my car off that policy... their rates kicked ass when i was 16 too. then i had to be a primary driver since we had too many vehicles... so progressive was great for just auto. but to add a bike it crazy.

i dont think 800 is bad a year for full coverage (collision, comp, etc) for a '00 zx6r and for a 21 year old during his first year of ever riding.... ALOT better than what i was quoted from other places (which was well past the thousand mark). though i will ALWAYS be looking for a better deal. ;)

i can almost bet i will switch the state farm when i have to move my car over to my name though... they will probably save me money in the long run. but until then, i guess i'll have to suffer through it.

-dc

·
Registered
49 Posts
It took Farm Bureau only 1 week with my bike. It was originally ~$500 a year which I paid in full at the office. A week later I got another bill demanding almost $300 more. That crap should be illegal but it isn't.
They pulled the same BS with my homeowners insurance which is why I orginally went to them. They are without a doubt the most horrible half-assed company I have ever dealt with.

Once you're off any family plan definitely check with SF. For fun I had run a quote through Progressive on my Busa and they wanted nearly $3000 a year.

Since your bike is almost 5 years old you may want to think about dropping full coverage. The thought of just liability may make you cringe, but you have to think about what the insurance company will pay you in the event of a total loss vs. what you're paying a year in premiums.
With just liability, you'd probably be paying way less than $100 a year.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Turbo-Torch said:
It took Farm Bureau only 1 week with my bike. It was originally ~$500 a year which I paid in full at the office. A week later I got another bill demanding almost $300 more. That crap should be illegal but it isn't.
They pulled the same BS with my homeowners insurance which is why I orginally went to them. They are without a doubt the most horrible half-assed company I have ever dealt with.
I couldn't agree more. My original quote was $515/yr. for full coverage on my bike, and $600/6months for my car. When I got the bill it was $1500/yr. for full coverage for my bike and almost $750/6months for my car. when I asked them wtf happened they said "We were re-rating bikes at the time you were quoted and we forgot to tell you". :rolleyes I had to drop collision on the bike so I could keep my cost to what it is now.

I stuck with them because they were still the cheapest I could find and I had already signed up with them, but my only at fault accident will be 3 years old in March and thats when I can get the good rates with state farm.

·
Viva Le T-Shirt Marketing!
1,450 Posts
balludc said:

i'm paying 800 a year for my 00 zx6r through progressive. progressive is actually the cheapest i could find in a limited amount of time (since my car is with them).

i had farm bureau for a month but then they changed their policy and said since my car wasnt with them, i wouldnt be able to have my bike with them. i was paying 700 with them. jeez it sucks being 21 and riding a "sportbike" or a "death trap" as one insurer told me :(

-dc
Ya, no shit. SF was the cheapest I could find and I was paying about 900 /yr for my RC. That was with no tickets, accidents etc.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts