Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Moderator,
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check this out... Nike Maxsight, developed by Bausch&Lomb. It's a disposable contact lens with an amber shading and something called "light architecture"

Apparently, these things are used by athletes, but I don't see why we couldn't use them for riding. My favorite shield to date has been my Shoei CX-1 Hi-Def shield because it was an amber blue-blocking shield.

I don't know that these contact lens would be an improvement over a tinted shield, but it would certainly help out those poor bastards in the UK who can't use a tinted shield (actually, I wonder if that was ever voted down?).

In any case, I think these things have some merit, not to mention... they give you monster eyes!

http://www.nike.com/nikevision/main.html#section=product&subSection=product_maxsight

·
The hardest button to button.
9,942 Posts
Sounds awesome. I'd be willing to give them a try.....I wonder how much they are.

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
just called a place locally........waiting for a call back.

they come in prescriptions and non-presc.

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
3 pairs for $65, 1 mos. usage.

·
9,942 Posts
That's not bad at all. And considering that contacts don't have an expiry date on them (you just think they do)......you can get way more than 3 months out of them.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Damn, not bad at all, considering other colored contacts aren't much better in cost. I'm tempted to buy three pairs to check em out.

·
9,942 Posts
Are they monthlies? I wear my monthlies for up to 3 or 4 months at a time. I have absolutely no problems with my eyes and this does no harm to them (according to optometrist). Contacts are only "marketed" with expiration dates. If you're storing them for a while you need to change the saline after a bit. :shrug

Would you be wearing them just for riding or in general?

·
The King!
3,286 Posts
I just called a place here in Austin and they stated that they are 60 dollars a box and that 6 come in a box. I am going to assume they are like regular contacts and that is only 3 pairs if you don't get a perscription. If you need a perscription you will have to order one box for each eye.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I got a pair of the green ones a while back from a B&L/Nike rep.

He specifically told me NOT to wear them while driving because my depth perception would be off until I could get used to wearing them outside.

I'm not sure if that would be the same with the red ones or not.

I do agree that I think these would be great on the bike... after you've gotten used to wearing them.

As for wearing contacts beyond the "expiration date" All I'm going to say is... why take a chance on saving a few bucks when you only get one pair of eyes. I agree... contacts themselves may not "expire" but they do break down with repeated use and corneal ulcers are all too common from poorly maintained or overused contacts.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Crazykell said:
Are they monthlies? I wear my monthlies for up to 3 or 4 months at a time. I have absolutely no problems with my eyes and this does no harm to them (according to optometrist). Contacts are only "marketed" with expiration dates. If you're storing them for a while you need to change the saline after a bit. :shrug

Would you be wearing them just for riding or in general?
+1 and the newer ones you dont even have to take out at night anymore. As long as you are carefull about rubbing your eyes you dont even notice them, just change them out once every 6 months :D

·
MotoGP World Champion
21,790 Posts
Crazykell said:
I have heard that too, but still, a lens dries out over time. After a month, mine don't feel the same.

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,282 Posts
hell, I may get some just to mess with cops when I get pulled over just for riding a bike :laughing

·
Moderator,
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Homeslice said:
I don't understand these..........You would still need a tinted visor to block out the sun right?
Nope. These are rated for daylight use only.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts