Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a less ghetto laptop from work, but it won't get an IP address from my router. It keeps saying to check my WEP settings. I've used both my passphrase and manually typed in the hex code multiple times to no avail.

Any suggestions?

It gets an address if I use a wired connection to the router.

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ah ha - XP didn't have the DHCP client started. Anyone know how to make this run upon login/startup? I don't understand why the wired one was working and the wireless one wasn't, but they both work now....:shrug

·
Registered
18,094 Posts
Start - Run. Type services.msc. Find DHCP client. Double click it. Set the startup type to automatic. Click Start.

Nico

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's already set to "Automatic", and I still have to run it manually at startup.

Driving the mouse with this nipple in the middle of the keyboard is strangely amusing. "Clicking" with the button under the spacebar isn't. Who designs these things? I'd like to demonstrate how intuitively an interface can be designed by using a Louisville Slugger as a prime example. :rant

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
I suspect the DHCP service is actually running for a minute or two when you startup...Windows will automatically assign a "fake" IP address (it starts with 169) to an interface if it doesn't pick up an IP via DHCP...then it shuts down the DHCP service.

Have a look at a few things. First, check to make sure that you're not filtering out the MAC address of that wireless card on your wireless AP. Second, make sure that you've got enough IPs in your DHCP pool to assign another one. You should also (just for the sake of the argument) make sure that the wired NIC isn't plugged into the router...maybe even disable it (temporarily) in the hardware devices panel.

Make sure DHCP is enabled in the card's control panel...and if you still fail to get an address after doing all of this, open up a command line and type (without the quotes) "ipconfig /release", then type "ipconfig /renew". Even if this doesn't give you a new IP, it will often give you an error message that may point you in the right direction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts