Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Moderator,
11,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to not talk to your coworkers?

Seriously...

There are 4 of us in a room that is (based on my counting the ceiling tiles) approx 18 ft x 25 ft.

I've been here since 915. It's now about 230. I've said nothing at all to the guy opposite me. I've said "good morning" to the other guy. To the other woman in here, I had a 3 min convo regarding our boss.

This is TYPICAL for this group.

I am a social person. I cannot sit here quietly all day. I *NEED* human interaction. I've noticed my CF time has increased. I've noticed my web time in general has increased.

This is pitiful.

I know it's not normal... can't be.

I used to work at a job where I shared a bigger room with 2 other guys. We had similar tastes in music so we set up one of the servers as a "jukebox" so we'd have something playing all day. We decorated the office (ok, so it was more me than the guys) with lamps (I get really bad headaches with the flourescent lights) and plants. I even had a fountain and a candy dish w/ peppermints in it. People actually came and visited with us because we had a nice set up in the office.

Even my last job I had people come and sit with me because I had the lamp, plants, candy, etc. Even though it was set up as a 2-person office, most times I was by myself because they kept rotating others out (or not hiring them when their temp contracts expired) so it was a great place for the "kids" to come in and vent any frustrations they had. And if it'd been a quiet kind of day, I'd get up and go sit in f4asg's office and BS with him and his office mate for a bit.

Not being on AIM and not having access to email doesn't help. :shake

This sucks. :(

·
Registered
381 Posts
If it's a computer job....it's pretty normal :shake

·
Moderator,
11,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jmuriz said:
If it's a computer job....it's pretty normal :shake
But it's never been normal for me. I've been doing software development for almost 16 years. The first few years were like this but the majority of them have not. :(

Stillie said:
Crack off about a 30 second fart. It will work wonders as a conversation piece.
:eek EEEWWWWWWWW

·
Registered
613 Posts
When a coworker comes back from a bathroom brake, ask them if it was a floater or sinker... That should start up a most enjoyable conversation that will last days.

Just ask Scot! :D

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
Sxy Rdr said:
:eek EEEWWWWWWWW
Bend over and light one. That would be even more impressive.

Do you people know how much it hurts to laugh with a broken collar bone and bruised ribs...

:laughing

·
Registered
119 Posts
I prefer not to talk to mine so I think it's normal. I come in, turn on music, shut my door, and don't open it except to go to lunch. Just sit here and code or surf or look out the window at the Potomac and Georgetown.

It's not that their bad people or weird or anything. I'm just not much of a socializer and quite a bit introverted.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Hi, Helen!

Stillie, you're a gross ick. :shake remember--I haven't sullied your reputation ;) :D Go play with your roommate.:eek

As an outgoing person, it must be difficult being around more introverted people. In close quarters, with no walls to partition off others, it's doubly vexxing (two x's for Stillie)--you each have no "down" time, unless you take a walk or a dump :laughing . That's stressful for everyone--the no down-time I'm talking about, not the dump part, Stillie. So some people react by just not talking at all.

Is this a contract you're working on, with an end in sight?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
What a bummer! Maybe it is more common today?

I really don't travel out of my cubicle much, so most of the time it is small talk. I haven't had much office fun since you, Curt, Dinah, Terri, Max, et al. Plus we had the riding event. And that job sucked!

It's really gotten weird now that I am so old (compared to everyone else). The young ladies use to enjoy my company but now I have to work to get them past "what does this perverted old man want".

Are they a part of a group of regulars? Ya know, a "click" (sp). At my new job they are very "clickish".

Being attractive doesn't help. And you are married to a man that can legally carry a gun and shoot you (major turn off).

But you are a pleasant person, interesting, and make good conversation so i would have to say "YOU WORK WITH A$$HOLES". Just my humble opinion.

·
Moderator,
11,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
f4asg said:
Are they a part of a group of regulars? Ya know, a "click" (sp). At my new job they are very "clickish".
That's the sad part... there is no clique here. The other woman has been here 2 years. One of the guys has been here almost a year. The other guy and I started at the same time.

It's just deathly quiet...

My boss suggested leaving the door open. Problem with that is:
1) We don't get people passing by the office because we're at the end of the hall by a loading dock.
2) My monitor can be seen from the hallway and I'd have no warning if someone important happened to be walking in.
3) As much moving around they do here, it's freaking noisy out there with people moving stuff to/from the loading dock.

I just need to bring in headphones and music I guess. Maybe I should buy a MegaMillions ticket on the way home... $102,000,000 is the jackpot.... :)

·
Moderator,
11,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And get this...

My boss suggested that I bring up the topic of an office lunch outing to try to do some "team building" stuff. So I did.....

Reaction was "is it on the clock?" "Do we have to?"

*SIGH*

So, she eats at her desk. I eat at mine. One guy goes out everyday without saying anything to anyone. Other guy sometimes goes grocery shopping, goes for a walk or just sits there at his desk.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
WOW ... i rest my case.

Are they approx. your age, younger, or older?

Oh and make that 2 tickets, cause if i have to work on the "crap they call a software system" one more day, I will die!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the opposite problem, all of the people I work around are mine and Rick's age so we've always been good friends and hung out after work on the weekends etc. Boss loves it cause we all get along and there is little bickering amoung us, but when there is disagreement it stings a lot more than if you didn't care what the other person's opinion was.

And there is always conversation going on and sometimes it drives me nutso so when I don't want to participate in the conversation I just listen to my IPOD or XM. Guess some people like your co-workers just see it as work but if your like me, you spend most of your day at work so it has to be some what fun and enjoyable.

·
Moderator,
11,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
f4asg said:
Are they approx. your age, younger, or older?
AT the ripe old age of 34, I am the youngest. :eek It's been a LONG time since I've been the youngest person in the office. :laughing

I would guess the other woman is close to 40 if not slightly over. The guys, I'm guessing they're both in their mid-40s.

So they're not far from my age...

·
Moderator,
11,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Speed Engineer said:
I have the opposite problem, all of the people I work around are mine and Rick's age so we've always been good friends and hung out after work on the weekends etc. Boss loves it cause we all get along and there is little bickering amoung us, but when there is disagreement it stings a lot more than if you didn't care what the other person's opinion was.

And there is always conversation going on and sometimes it drives me nutso so when I don't want to participate in the conversation I just listen to my IPOD or XM. Guess some people like your co-workers just see it as work but if your like me, you spend most of your day at work so it has to be some what fun and enjoyable.
Exactly... maybe we wouldn't be so snappy at each other if we knew each other more personally... :confused
And, sad as it is, I see these guys more on weekdays than I do Todd and the kids so, yes, it'd be nice to be on friendlier terms.

Oh well...

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I'll talk to anyone. Sometimes thats not a good thing but I tend to make relationships and aquaintences every where I go. I'll go out to luch with co-workers and because I live in the neighborhood, I will run into a lot of people that REKONIZ me. It tends to strike people as strange and I'll get..."do you know everybody in this town?" or "how do you know so many people". When all I've done is carried friendly conversations with someone when I'm out and about.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Ah, candy bowls. Sometimes I moonlight doing weekend computer moves; companies (mostly AOL) reorganize weekly, and thus people's computers need to follow them around the buildings. The movers move the crap, I move the computers. I live for candybowls. No need to pack dinner, the guy in cubicle 53ag3 has snickers, and the chick in 63bc9 has twix. That guy left a nerf gun on his desk, so the evening's entertainment is lined up too!
I'll tellya, AOL has some lax cubicle decoration policies but some people really work to make the cube a nice place to be.
whodat

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm in a pretty big room with 5 other people. Soon we will have another to fill the other help desk position. All we do all day is talk to each other. Some of its to talk about what needs to be done, help each other out with customers but most of it is just bs'ing with each other. I'd say this is my most fun job that I have ever had. It's all because we get along with each other and talk about all kinds of stuff. Even people from the other departments come in to talk with us. We hang out occasionally on the weekends with each other. It makes for a fast, fun day.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts