Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background:

On the highway yesterday I got rear ended in stop and go traffic at about 15mph. I landed on my ass in the street looking at the traffic comming at me, and my bike rolled into the bushes, which was nice cause the only damage was where the SUV hit it.

Anyway the rear rim & tire are fuct so's the right clip on an pipe. The swingarm appears to be alright, but I'm gonna need to get it checked,

What kind of machine or jig will the service center need to have to preform the measures to determine if the chassis & swingarm (hope) are straight? I wanna know so I go the right service center, do most have this equipment?

Oh and the dude who hit me, no license, insurance, the plates didn't belong to the car he was driving, plus outstanding warrnt. Claims he was distracted by his kids, there were 4 of them. It should be a fun time trying to get money from him because I carry only liability.

VTR1000 Superhawk
now slightly crunchy but i think it looks cool with no fairing and hopfully straight

·
Registered
301 Posts
As far as I know..GMD Computrack is the only place that can meassure your bike....It's always a good idea to have it checked by them if it was hit by a cage..:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doesn't look like it's going to be easy to get that checked. I looked at those two web sites (Thanks) and there on the east or west coast, I'm in MN.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to guess, I don't want to spend $1000 to get it checked only to find it was clearly bent. It's really only the swingarm that I'm concerned about, ya know how it mounts to the engine on a superhawk. I'll post a pic later today.

Maybe I can come up with my own fixture to get a idea.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Have you considered filing a claim against your insurace and letting them go after the hucklebuck? Or go after him in small claims court... maybe you'll get his SUV out of the deal...

I hope you're ok from the get off and don't suffer any long term side effects.

Was he ticketed or arrested for no insurance, license, and wrong plates?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only have liability, no uninsured motorist coverage.

I'm alright beyond having my favorite thing smashed, a little stiff and sore in the legs.

He was arrested and went 2 jail.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
its a PITA t check it

I hope you smashed his face in cuse that sounds liek its all your going to get :mad

·
Registered
110 Posts
I know this is a little late, but dude, call your ins. co. and have uninsured motorist added to your policy. It doesnt cost hardly anything extra and will prevent you having to go thru something like this again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts