Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
As a new member, this is my first post..... I believe the Hayabusa is the quickest and the fastest, but more importantly I'm suddenly considering moving to Las Colinas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dugg said:
As a new member, this is my first post..... I believe the Hayabusa is the quickest and the fastest, but more importantly I'm suddenly considering moving to Las Colinas.
when you get here, PM me and we will go riding sometime:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,360 Posts
The 12 will accelerate harder to a point.......it has more HP stock than the Busa, but the Busa's aerodynamics are far superior...........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
On any given day it will come down to the rider. So very close. The 99 Busa is in Guiness book of world records posting the top speed of what I believe is a 201. But this was done in only one direction of the test
When Kawi brought out the 12, they failed to hand pick, break in the appropriate bike for the magizines. It failed the test, the magizines roasted it, and the 00 model sat.
Muzzy came along and personally broke in a 12 on a dyno and took it to the one mile strip at Maxton and set land speed record of 199.115mph eclipsing the aveage record run of the Busa. Not the top speed, but of the averge run going both directions. 1/2 dozen here 1/2 dozen there, depends on your loyalty and you're likes and dislikes on how a bike should look.

P.S. If you don't think manufactures don't hand pic the machines for the rags, just check the real world dyno numbers compared to those printed.
 

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
23,498 Posts
The 99 Busa is the fastest production bike ever. Last 'official' bone stock speed was 196mph out of the box. With the new EU "encouraged" gentlemans aggreement, they are now limited to 186.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,372 Posts
Dugg said:
As a new member, this is my first post..... I believe the Hayabusa is the quickest and the fastest, but more importantly I'm suddenly considering moving to Las Colinas.
:laughing just so you know, that's not runninhorn in his avatar. :crackup

great first post though. welcome. :redflip
 

·
Hayabusa Madness
Joined
·
2,613 Posts
1. CYCLEWORLD [June 2000]

Top Speeds

------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 191 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 187 mph

Quarter Mile
--------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R 9.86 sec @ 145.80 mph [Performed by CycleWorld magazine rider]
Kawasaki ZX-12R 10.06 sec @ 142 mph [Performed by Ricky Gadson - Top Kawasaki Pro Drag racer]

Quotes and storyline from the test
_____________________________________________________________________________

2. PERFORMANCE BIKES [June 2000]

Top Speeds
------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 190.3 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 188.9 mph

Quarter Mile
--------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R 10.3s @ 143.9
Kawasaki ZX-12R 10.4s @ 146.3

Quotes and storyline from the test
________________________________________________________________________________

3. SPORTBIKE MAGAZINE [June 2000]

Top Speeds
------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 191 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 187 mph

Quarter Mile
--------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R 9.93 sec @ 143.4 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 10.04 sec @ 143.8 mph

Quotes and storyline from the test
__________________________________________________________________________________

4. MOTORCYCLIST MAGAZINE [June 2000]

Top Speeds
------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 184.2 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 183 mph
[Elevation 2400 feet above sea level]

Quarter Mile
--------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R 9.86 sec @ ~ 140.3 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 9.96 sec @ 142.3 mph

Quotes and storyline from the test
____________________________________________________________________________________
5. BIKENET Online

Top Speeds
------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 196 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 194 mph

Quarter Mile - NA
______________________________________________________________________________________
6. BIKE MAGAZINE - UK [May 2000]

Top Speeds
------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 189 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 180 mph

Quarter Mile
--------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R 10.31 sec
Kawasaki ZX-12R 10.04 sec

_______________________________________________________________________________________
7. AMCN - AUSTRALIAN MOTORCYCLE NEWS May 2000

Top speed.
Hayabusa = 302 kph
Zx-12R = 297 kph

400m (1/4 mile).
Hayabusa = 10.5 sec.
Zx12R = 10.7 sec.

400m top speed.
Hayabusa = 228.2km/h.
Zx12R = 223km/h.

0-100km/h.
Hayabusa = 3.17 sec
Zx12R = 3.49 sec

0-160km/h (0-100mph).
Hayabusa = 5.7 sec.
Zx12 = 6.02 sec.

20-180kmh.
Hayabusa = 6.17 seconds
Zx12 = 6.43 seconds

Quotes and storyline

__________________________________________________________________________________________
8. BIKE MAGAZINE - Sweden [Not Bike mag from the UK]


Top speed
-----------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa - 297.8 km/hr
Kawasaki ZX-12R - 293.7 km/hr

Quarter Mile
-----------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R HayaBusa - 10.32 sec @ 222.6 km/hr
Kawasaki ZX-12R - 10.50 sec @ 225.5 km/hr
Honda CBR Blackbird - 11.0 sec @ 210 km/hr
________________________________________________________________________________________
9. SUPERWHEELS Magazine [Italy]

Suzuki GSX1300R HayaBusa - 191.6 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 190.4 mph
________________________________________________________________________________________

10. MCN [Motorcycle News UK] March 2000

Suzuki GSX1300R HayaBusa - 189 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R - 182 mph

Quotes and storyline from the test

_________________________________________________________________________________________

11. SportRider Magazine October 2001

Restricted 2001 models are de-restricted

Title: Big Dogs

Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa
Power : 158.0hp @ 9750 rpm
Torque : 98.4lb @ 7000 rpm

Kawasaki ZX-12R
Power : 159.8hp @ 10250 rpm
Torque : 91.4lb @ 7750 rpm

Top Speeds:

Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa : 192.4 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R : 190.2 mph

___________________________________________________________________________________________

12. SuperBike Magazine June 2000

Quarter Mile Runs

ZX-12R______________ Hayabusa
Run1 10.31 @ 142-----10.05 @ 142 mph
Run2 10.21 @ 144-----10.07 @ 147
Run3 10.28 @ 143 ---------- na

Top Speeds

ZX-12R______Hayabusa [stock aerodynamic piece removed, semi-tuck only]
Run1: 184---------180
Run2 188--------- 183
Run3 183 ---------184

Quotes and storyline

__________________________________________________________________________________________

13. SuperBike August 2002

Title: The Big Bang Theory

Standing Quarters

Hayabusa :10.24 sec @ 135 mph and 10.18 sec @ 136 mph

ZX-12R : 10.39 sec @ 135 mph and 10.31 sec @ 137 mph

Top Speed Runs - ZX-12 Clutch Died NA

Scan of Results and noteworthy quotes here


___________________________________________________________________________________________

14. MotorCyclist Magazine Aug 2003

Title: Grudge Match - America's quickest street bikes.

Multiple quarter mile runs head to head on new 2003 models

Both bikes stock:

Hayabusa best of multiple runs:

9.88 sec @ 143.88 mph

ZX-12 best of multiple runs:

9.92 sec @ 143.74 mph

All times NON corrected.

Complete Test Data, modified runs and quotes.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Motorcyclist Magazine May 1999

Motorcyclist Magazine June 1999

Hayabusa Top Speed: 189 mph
Power: 156.1 hp @ 9500 rpm
Torque: 99.0 ft lbs @ 6750 rpm

___________________________________________________________________________________________

CycleWorld June 1999

Hayabusa Top Speed: 194 mph

Quarter Mile : 9.86 seconds @ 145.80 mph

Power : 160.5 bhp @ 9250 rpm Torque: 99.9 ft-lbs @ 7550 rpm
 

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
Joined
·
37,282 Posts
thunderex said:
:laughing just so you know, that's not runninhorn in his avatar. :crackup

great first post though. welcome. :redflip
:laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :crackup :crackup :crackup :crackup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
Thanks MFFJM2 for all the numbers. As a Kawi ZX12R owner I was quite disappointed by all the political correctness brought on by both of these machines. Muzzy's run at Maxton was never pursued by the media, print or TV, and the damage by Kawi's blunder will never be lived down. I applaud both companies for pusuing the dream of a Stock production bike run of over 200mph. This unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it, is left up to the owners to figure out on how to get there.

My highest achieved speed is a 175mph on a flat, new pavement run across Wyoming with about 7 or 8 other 12's. Gps logged and documented by one of the pack. Gotta watch for those Antelope!! ;)
 

Attachments

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
Joined
·
19,663 Posts
runninhorn said:
when you get here, PM me and we will go riding sometime:p
runninghorn wants to ride bitch on your bike.:laughing

nedrgr, didn't that muzzy run have a full muzzy exhaust(and required tuning)?

For the real reason the Hayabusa is usually faster top speed with less power, look to the article written by Cycle Canada(reprinted by Sport Rider.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0106_aero/
 

·
GOOOOOO!!!!!! Colin!
Joined
·
1,287 Posts
MFFJM2 said:
1. CYCLEWORLD [June 2000]

Top Speeds

------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 191 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 187 mph

Quarter Mile
--------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R 9.86 sec @ 145.80 mph [Performed by CycleWorld magazine rider]
Kawasaki ZX-12R 10.06 sec @ 142 mph [Performed by Ricky Gadson - Top Kawasaki Pro Drag racer]

Quotes and storyline from the test
_____________________________________________________________________________

2. PERFORMANCE BIKES [June 2000]

Top Speeds
------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 190.3 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 188.9 mph

Quarter Mile
--------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R 10.3s @ 143.9
Kawasaki ZX-12R 10.4s @ 146.3

Quotes and storyline from the test
________________________________________________________________________________

3. SPORTBIKE MAGAZINE [June 2000]

Top Speeds
------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 191 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 187 mph

Quarter Mile
--------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R 9.93 sec @ 143.4 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 10.04 sec @ 143.8 mph

Quotes and storyline from the test
__________________________________________________________________________________

4. MOTORCYCLIST MAGAZINE [June 2000]

Top Speeds
------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 184.2 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 183 mph
[Elevation 2400 feet above sea level]

Quarter Mile
--------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R 9.86 sec @ ~ 140.3 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 9.96 sec @ 142.3 mph

Quotes and storyline from the test
____________________________________________________________________________________
5. BIKENET Online

Top Speeds
------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 196 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 194 mph

Quarter Mile - NA
______________________________________________________________________________________
6. BIKE MAGAZINE - UK [May 2000]

Top Speeds
------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 189 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 180 mph

Quarter Mile
--------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R 10.31 sec
Kawasaki ZX-12R 10.04 sec

_______________________________________________________________________________________
7. AMCN - AUSTRALIAN MOTORCYCLE NEWS May 2000

Top speed.
Hayabusa = 302 kph
Zx-12R = 297 kph

400m (1/4 mile).
Hayabusa = 10.5 sec.
Zx12R = 10.7 sec.

400m top speed.
Hayabusa = 228.2km/h.
Zx12R = 223km/h.

0-100km/h.
Hayabusa = 3.17 sec
Zx12R = 3.49 sec

0-160km/h (0-100mph).
Hayabusa = 5.7 sec.
Zx12 = 6.02 sec.

20-180kmh.
Hayabusa = 6.17 seconds
Zx12 = 6.43 seconds

Quotes and storyline

__________________________________________________________________________________________
8. BIKE MAGAZINE - Sweden [Not Bike mag from the UK]


Top speed
-----------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa - 297.8 km/hr
Kawasaki ZX-12R - 293.7 km/hr

Quarter Mile
-----------------------------------------------
Suzuki GSX1300R HayaBusa - 10.32 sec @ 222.6 km/hr
Kawasaki ZX-12R - 10.50 sec @ 225.5 km/hr
Honda CBR Blackbird - 11.0 sec @ 210 km/hr
________________________________________________________________________________________
9. SUPERWHEELS Magazine [Italy]

Suzuki GSX1300R HayaBusa - 191.6 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R 190.4 mph
________________________________________________________________________________________

10. MCN [Motorcycle News UK] March 2000

Suzuki GSX1300R HayaBusa - 189 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R - 182 mph

Quotes and storyline from the test

_________________________________________________________________________________________

11. SportRider Magazine October 2001

Restricted 2001 models are de-restricted

Title: Big Dogs

Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa
Power : 158.0hp @ 9750 rpm
Torque : 98.4lb @ 7000 rpm

Kawasaki ZX-12R
Power : 159.8hp @ 10250 rpm
Torque : 91.4lb @ 7750 rpm

Top Speeds:

Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa : 192.4 mph
Kawasaki ZX-12R : 190.2 mph

___________________________________________________________________________________________

12. SuperBike Magazine June 2000

Quarter Mile Runs

ZX-12R______________ Hayabusa
Run1 10.31 @ 142-----10.05 @ 142 mph
Run2 10.21 @ 144-----10.07 @ 147
Run3 10.28 @ 143 ---------- na

Top Speeds

ZX-12R______Hayabusa [stock aerodynamic piece removed, semi-tuck only]
Run1: 184---------180
Run2 188--------- 183
Run3 183 ---------184

Quotes and storyline

__________________________________________________________________________________________

13. SuperBike August 2002

Title: The Big Bang Theory

Standing Quarters

Hayabusa :10.24 sec @ 135 mph and 10.18 sec @ 136 mph

ZX-12R : 10.39 sec @ 135 mph and 10.31 sec @ 137 mph

Top Speed Runs - ZX-12 Clutch Died NA

Scan of Results and noteworthy quotes here


___________________________________________________________________________________________

14. MotorCyclist Magazine Aug 2003

Title: Grudge Match - America's quickest street bikes.

Multiple quarter mile runs head to head on new 2003 models

Both bikes stock:

Hayabusa best of multiple runs:

9.88 sec @ 143.88 mph

ZX-12 best of multiple runs:

9.92 sec @ 143.74 mph

All times NON corrected.

Complete Test Data, modified runs and quotes.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Motorcyclist Magazine May 1999

Motorcyclist Magazine June 1999

Hayabusa Top Speed: 189 mph
Power: 156.1 hp @ 9500 rpm
Torque: 99.0 ft lbs @ 6750 rpm

___________________________________________________________________________________________

CycleWorld June 1999

Hayabusa Top Speed: 194 mph

Quarter Mile : 9.86 seconds @ 145.80 mph

Power : 160.5 bhp @ 9250 rpm Torque: 99.9 ft-lbs @ 7550 rpm
well i would have picked the zx-12r. but i guess heres proof. :clap
 

·
serenity now
Joined
·
6,055 Posts
YZFRob said:
The 99 Busa is the fastest production bike ever. Last 'official' bone stock speed was 196mph out of the box. With the new EU "encouraged" gentlemans aggreement, they are now limited to 186.
rob, do you have any idea why the governed speed is 186mph of all speeds? ive always wanted to know.
 

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
Joined
·
37,282 Posts
ninja_steve said:
rob, do you have any idea why the governed speed is 186mph of all speeds? ive always wanted to know.
wasn't it something that started in Europe? I don't think there was ever an actual reason for it..
 
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Top