Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read something about a certian oil helping with the clunkieness of yamaha shifting.

Right now I am running bike specific 20 50w dino oil. I just want to make sure I am using whats best for my bike. I think I may jump to a full synthetic. Any suggestions for an EX500 with a noisy warmup and an aging tranny.

·
Registered
225 Posts
is there a specific weight??? NO... Some claim that full synthetic has helped the tranny shift better because it's supposedly slicker and provides less friction. I personally do not believe that. I used 20w50 Castrol Dino oil. I change the oil every 2-3000 miles, no problems yet, no slipping at all and i have 8,000 miles on my 02 zx-6r. I don't think synthetic is at all what it is cracked up to be. Just make sure you are using quality oil, keep it clean with a quality filter, and you'll be fine! Also, if your 500 is aging, it is better to keep 20w50 in there so it keeps all of the seals nice and tight and you don't start smoking!

·
Registered
111 Posts
It's not really the slickness I'd like synthetic for. it's the lack of deposits it leaves when it breaks down. This is due to the way the oil is made versus dino oil. When synthetic oils break down, because they have a water base, they don't leave deposits behind to crud up the interior of your motor. The only problem with this I've noticed, is that they tend to break down easier. mainly, means you have to keep tabs on the engine's oil level a touch more closely.

Fossil based oils generaly have alot of deposits and 'gunk up' inside the motor when they're run beyond their limits. bad for oil galleys, clutches, oil pumps, etc. you get the idea. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
MOTUL E-TECH 100 or 5100

I have used these since my purchase of the ride in '98. Over 110 passes @ the local drag strips with a motor putting out 107hp from a '94 ZX6E.

Currently use 10w40 E-TECH 100 :redcreep

Late! :ar15

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2002
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com

·
Registered
669 Posts
Good ol' Mobil 1 15W-50
I have used many kinds including Golden Spectro and Amsoil.
After studying the different oils I realized I am basically getting the same oil but I can pick it up from any auto parts store, no need for a special trip to the bike shop. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dkmssl...........You I respect. Your opinion is yours. But we have 3 team racers in addition to me...........That prefer MOTUL. Besides, 2 track championships this season alone can't be wrong.

The older design machines do very well with this petrol. This we have not only proven on the street but on the track.

MOBIL is good..........But MOTUL has shined through above all the others that we have used.

As for all else.........Your Ride.........Your Choice.........Good Riding! :D

Johnny

·
Registered
669 Posts
Cool, I respect anyone that has the amount of first hand "race-proven" experience that you do with a particular oil or other product your team uses and I hope I didn't sound like I was telling others to disregard your first post on this topic.
I just have used Mobil 1 oil for about 4 years in 3 different bikes and have have excellent results is all. I started using it a while back when a friend of mine used to be sponsered by Mobil, he raced CCS here in Florida.
I don't always plan my oil changes in advance so being able to get it at an auto parts store to me is a plus, although not every store has a large stock of the 15w-50 I use.
Thanks for your input man, it is taken seriously on the subject by myself and I am sure many others, after all you can back up your statements with hard facts.;)

Later.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I dunno about everybody else, but I use 20w-50 regular Belray oil. I like the heavier oil in the warmer months, I only run 10w-40 in the winter. The heavier oil takes a higher tempreture to break down amongst other noticable advantages. Everyone who has been on my 9R or 6R have commended the ease of shift and smoothness of the engine. At least 50% less vibrations, especially at idle. After the first 3,000 miles, I also change the oil every 1,500 miles max, too. Soon as it is dark, I change it, especially with the 6R since she spent most of her time spinning 'tween 10,000 and 13,000 rpms.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Anthony............u r :cool my brotha!

No offense really taken or given. We just have different experience with the same Manufacturer but different "models". I with the earlier machines and you with the newer.......That's all.

In another words..........Your Florida scene versus the Cali scene. IT IS ALL GOOD! :greenflam

Peace My Green Brotha!

Johnny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts