Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was just wondering if the ducati supersport had some sort of chip in the key. Similar to Audi's or Mercedes? Im just trying to learn a little more about the bikes. When do you think that bikes will all come standard with this feature. It would be a great added feature to keep theft down.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
all 02 and newer ducks have an imobilizer system which consists of a chip in the key and a sensor around the ignition switch. ummmmmmmmm and arent they expensive when you those those keys :(

·
Moderator,
8,028 Posts
Ya, if you buy a used Duc with an immobilizer chip you have to be sure to get all the keys with the bike.

The weird thing about Audi immobilizer keys is, if you want a remote start installed in the car, you have to leave a key inside the car for it to work. Just a little tidbit that I've picked up from AudiWorld.com

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so the immobolizer is installed on all 02 dukes regardless of which model? does anyone offer kits that can be purchased to install an immobilzer on other sportbikes?

·
Bike Hunter
119 Posts
Both my 04' S4R and my fiances 04 620 have the Immobilizer chips factory installed. All keys were included and I have no idea if you can add this one aftermarket???

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
eatinwokout said:
so the immobolizer is installed on all 02 dukes regardless of which model? does anyone offer kits that can be purchased to install an immobilzer on other sportbikes?
Ok, pet peeve mean nothing to you all but Ducatis = DUCKS!

Dukes = KTM! :redflip

·
stranger in a strange land...
2,038 Posts
if it quacks like a duck...

<bgsound src=http://www.acoustics.salford.ac.uk/acoustics_world/duck/anec.wav>

·
Ess Rider
193 Posts
'02 and earlier Ducati SS's do not have the immobilizer.

'02 Superbikes and earlier do not have the immobilizer.

'02 ST4s does have the immobilizer.

Ducati started putting these on more of their line with the '03 model year.... like the 999. Unsure about the '03 SS's.

More makes are offering immobilizers, standard or as optional equipment, but it is still a minority and I think it will be a slow growth path.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was searching and found this link about a guy that designed and built a keyless ignition. Basically the bike could only be started if a ring, worn by the owner, with a special chip was near the igniton column. He has posted the schematics for the whole setup. Thought it was interesting but forgot to link it. Kinda the same security approach as some of the higher model cars the MB sl55 that don't need the key in the ignition. Key only has to be in the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts