Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets say for instance you catch fire. Does the pain ever reach a maximum. Can you only feel so much pain. If your arm gets chopped off does it hurt as much as getting only your finger chopped off. The brain works like a computer. Only so much information can be processed. Can your nerves only be send so much?

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
keep posting and we'll find out :redflip

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ziadel said:
keep posting and we'll find out :redflip
No damnit. Im trying to have a serious philosphical moment. Dont ruin this. Its kind of like thinking about outer space. It gets to deep that you have to stop thinking about it.

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
Shadownynja said:
No damnit. Im trying to have a serious philosphical moment. Dont ruin this. Its kind of like thinking about outer space. It gets to deep that you have to stop thinking about it.
past a certain amount of pain, you lose consciousness...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suppose thats true. But what about after you pass out. There has to be some limit somewhere? Roadrash anyone?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
ziadel said:
past a certain amount of pain, you lose consciousness...
That's what I always thought too. When it goes into an overload the brain shuts down (at least for a little while), I think anyway.

Why did you want to know? Planning on severing your arm or something? :eek:

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
Shadownynja said:
I suppose thats true. But what about after you pass out. There has to be some limit somewhere? Roadrash anyone?
after you pass out, you don't feel anything..
your not conscious...

·
Back in the shade where I belong.
12,261 Posts
pain thresh hold

I think the amount of pain that a person can take is dependent on the person. Some people have a higher thresh hold and some sit down when they piss.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
every person also possesses a different threshhold for pain. I can tolerate a lot more of something before I consider it pain than most people I know. I do agree though, once you pass a certain level you will blackout from over stimulation of your sensory receptors.

·
Insomniac
891 Posts
Shadownynja said:
if you're unconscious, you dont feel anything in a way. its the brains response to being overloaded with sensation. past a certain point and it shuts off everything that is not vital to survive. however, when you wake up...better hope a doctor is around to give you plenty of pain killers. :D

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Just wait til Excessa's SO get's a hold of you and then report back!

You'll pass out. The "saving grace" of burns is 3rd degree burns the nerve endings off. Course where there's third there's second.

You want to know about pain. Watch any documentary about the POW survivors who were kept in the Hanoi Hilton. Like John McCain.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Shadownynja said:
You dont KNOW about the pain but its still there.
that's where your wrong. Pain is a "feeling" Once you pass out you do not have "feelings" Whatever the stimulus for your pain was will still be there, but you will be unable to feel it (ie. your brain will not receive the message from your nerves)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I know my brain caused me to pass out multiple times while some nurses scrubbed all the gravel and asphault out of my back with damn "tire scrubbers" for however long it took. I would wake up.........scream like a baby........and pass out. Great fun........ I guess my brain reached it's mental limit that day.

The strange thing was that I barely felt my right foot. It had been crushed and my big toe had been torn off by the car when it T-boned me....... The doctors were discussing with my Dad the possibilities of amputating my foot...... But I could not feel it. The only thing I REALLY felt was all the damn road rash....... (and to think my jacket was strapped to the back of the bike............. :( )

·
The hardest button to button.
9,942 Posts
Pain is basically mental rather than physical. You can "teach" (for lack of a better word) your brain not to feel pain. It's all about mind over matter and mental control. That's how people can walk on burning coals.

But I'm pretty sure that if you sever your arm or your finger you're going to feel it!

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
Crazykell said:
You can "teach" (for lack of a better word) your brain not to feel pain

There is no spoon.

·
The hardest button to button.
9,942 Posts
Huh?

:confused

1 - 20 of 35 Posts